Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki inspired Predicta TV

Pages: 1 18 replies

Ok... I think I have this figured out.Please check out a few Pictures of the Tiki Predicta Tv we designed for a good friend of ours .The cabinet features ingraved polynesian markings, Tiki figurines ,a back lit corona sunset with painted beach scene back drop and a custom bamboo grill.This was a special order which we liked so much we have done additional Tv's with this design theme.Its been a great hit at the few shows we participate. hope you enjoy it also.
Mike L Scott

[ Edited by: Mr.Predicta on 2004-12-23 01:01 ]

M
mig posted on Thu, Dec 23, 2004 12:21 AM

Pretty cool! I recently found out that a cousin of mine restores Predictas as a hobby... I'm going to send him a link to this, he will appreciate it!

mig

I had a few Original Predictas built by Philco.
Owning an original that did not run was what led me to believe that an up dated version of the Predicta in color and cable ready had to have a market.
This Month we are in the December issue of playboy magazine in the "whats hot for the holidays" section.I knew we were going to be listed in this Issue but had no Idea they would give us a full page.
Its very cool when a company as large as that comes to you and offers to post your product for free!!!
I have been very interested in the Mid century Modern furnature and the Tiki Culture for decades and am very happy to have contributed to it in some small way.
Mike L Scott

Predicta TV. Anything else is just a black box.

[ Edited by: Mr.Predicta on 2004-12-23 01:04 ]

B

Mr Predicta, Big Welcome to TC Land. I feel Privileged to have you on our boards. You Obviously are a Talent Laden person and your work speaks for itself. The Tiki Predicta is just plain Fabulous and is one to be proud of.
we would Love to see some step by step photos of the creating of the Tiki Predicta if you have the time and energy.
HappyHappyHappy

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-12-23 06:04 ]

KK

To second Benzart, welcome to Tiki Central! You guys rule. Anyone considering Predicta adoption absolutely should call you first (these guys are obsessed on a level only matched by certain TC wood carvers). I wept openly when I first saw the Tikified Predicta a coupla' years ago in your emails...it is having the same effect on me now.
SANTA?!? Ya' out there boy?
Maybe one day. See you around the tiki bar.

KK

Oh, and you've gotta' explain to all here about the frontispiece!!! No way you can really "get it" from the photo.

KK

To second Benzart, welcome to Tiki Central! You guys rule. Anyone considering Predicta adoption absolutely should call you first (these guys are obsessed on a level only matched by certain TC wood carvers). I wept openly when I first saw the Tikified Predicta a coupla' years ago in your emails...it is having the same effect on me now.
SANTA?!? Ya' out there boy?
Maybe one day. See you around the tiki bar.

Thanks I appreciate the sentiments.It gets lonely here in the Basement building this stuff and since we do not now attend any shows I get very little in the way of customer feedback.
I am not sure when we have a Tiki Predicta scheduled next year{we are consistantly back logged for 6 months}but I will keep it in mind to take a few construction shots and post them here.
The front of the Tv what we call the breast plate or shadow box in the way of the Corona models which the Tiki is a modification of,its back lit with hidden lights behind the disk.This is llluminated at all times when the set is pluged in it also helps illuminate the channel knob.I think its illustrated better on our website.www.predicta.com
The Tiki is not shown because its a special build, we have too many options as it is.Thats my opinion,but I do like custom jobs it gives me incentive to get up in the morning. Mike L Scott

Predicta TV. Anything else is just a black box.

[ Edited by: Mr.Predicta on 2004-12-23 09:08 ]

Would love to see some pictures of your workshop. How long does it take you to make one of these beauties?

Hey Mr.Predicta,

Are you the Mr.Predicta who lives next door to me and gave me that cool Suffering Bastard mug for Cristmas? It's so good to see another friendly face here, WELCOME!!!

MAEVA, or Welcome as the Tahitians would say, to Tiki Central Mr. Predicta. I emailed your people yesterday about pricing for the Debutant and the Meteor, but since you're here maybe you can help me instead. I bet hundreds of other TC members are wondering the same thing I am.

Thank you and Welcome again,

Yes fink daddy its me.See what you started?
You evil neighbor you!
the price on the models starts around 1,200 and go up from there ,depending on the options you want.The base model Meteor,thats the tv shown in my signature is 3,500 and you can have any color you want as long as its black.
I think we sell the Tiki's for around 3 grand.they are all modern 2004-5 chassis, on screen programing,135 channel cap. remote...everything you would expect in a modern Tv.and something you dont need to hide in your cool pad.

Was searching for something like this earlier, but just now found this. What beautiful products. With the advent of possibly replacing a couple of TVs in the future....I would love to go this way. I did email the company for a brochure, so hopefully we can get Mr Predicta back here to give us some updates. I love the looks of these TVs.

TB

I have TWO original Predicta TVs, The original pedistal model and the steel box table top model. The table top is almost restored, but the other needs some help. Just another 1 of 18000 projects to finish.

Very Cool- I wonder if they can do a 60" model to replace my big screen?

I did get the following from the Predicta folks.

Thank you for your interest in Predicta TV. You can purchase directly from us. Prices and other information for the various models follow.

PRICING*

Debutante $1,199 (available only in quantities of 5) 25.5”H x 26”W x 20”D

Princess $1,499 w/ 18” screen 25.5”H x 26”W x 20”D

Princess $1,799 w/ 24” screen 25.5”H x 26”W x 20”D
Holiday $2,149 32”H x 27”W x 20”D
mini-Holiday $2,149 (18” screen)

Chalet $2,999 30”H X 31”W x 20”D

Pedestal $2,399

Danish Modern/Continental $2,399 50”H x 27”W x 21”D
Corona $2,899 49”H x 27”W x 20” 1 CORONA IN STOCK

Meteor $3,599 51”H x 27”W x 22”D

Predicta nightlights for sale $11.99 (includes shipping)

Predicta TV posters coming soon

Shipping is quoted as a separate item (see below for more information). Prices do not include custom colors or variations to design and cabinetry (see below for more information).

LEAD TIME
We generally run a backlog of orders. We are currently taking orders that would be started in November and ship most likely mid-January.

SHIPPING

Shipping generally varies between $100-$300. The norm is generally $200-$225. Cost of shipping depends on size of model chosen, destination, residential delivery, and other services requested. Our preferred shipper is BAX (Burlington Air Express). When your TV is ready, we will coordinate with you when we should ship the TV. You will need to be there to take receipt of the TV from the BAX driver.

WARRANTY
90 days cosmetic; 9 months parts & labor; 2 years picture tube.

DISCLAIMERS
From time to time it is necessary to make design changes, engineering changes, and other changes to the product. The changes are usually minor and necessary to keep the product up to date, current, viable, improving, etc. When possible, these slight modifications will be noted or brought to our client’s attention.The actual product you receive may have slight modifications and variations than the same units pictured on the website, in the brochure, or transmitted to you via e-mail through jpeg or other electronic format, etc., etc.

PAYMENTS

At the time an order is placed we require $200 down to hold your spot on the build list. We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, personal check, or money order. This portion is not refundable if the order is canceled. When we start your cabinet, we contact you for the balance of the down payment which is $500 ($1,000 for the Corona and Meteor models). If an order is cancelled after the second down payment is received, we reserve the right to keep all or a prorated portion of this payment. As your set nears completion, I lock in a shipping rate and contact you w/ the same. The balance plus shipping is due before your TV ships. We accept all of the above payments at this time as well. If a personal check is sent, we will wait for it to clear before shipping.

TECHNICAL SPECS

All the models have a 24" screen with the exception of the Princess, Debutante, and Chalet models which is 18". The Princess can be ordered with a 24" screen for an additional $300. Similarly, all the units have a wood cabinet, whereas the Princess and Debutante have metal cabinets. The Debutante is a stripped down version of the Princess. The only difference is the elimination of the shadowbox area and channel selector on the Debutante model. All other components, etc., are the same. The electrical hardware is standard with today's modern televisions (cable ready, remote control, AV inputs, audio outputs, etc.). The control knobs on the front are not novelties; they are functional and end up being surprisingly useful.

CABINET COLORS

We offer standard finishes and can do custom finishes as well.

Wood Cabinet Models-Standard Finishes:
Predicta Blonde
Red Walnut
Ruby Red
Tuxedo Black

Metal Cabinet Models-Standard Finishes:
Turquoise
Tuxedo Black
Soda Fountain Red

TUBE ENCLOSURE COLORS

We offer standard colors and can do custom colors as well.

Standard tube enclosure colors:

olive

beige

black

turquoise

red

white

CUSTOM TUBE ENCLOSURE COLORS

Cost depends on 18” or 24” tube enclosure, and if both pieces (front and back) are the same or different colors (i.e, two color matches is more expensive than one). Generally, budget on $50-$100 a piece for the 18” tube enclosure and $100-$200 apiece for the 24” tube enclosure. Bird’s eye maple finish is an additional $100.

It is important to us that you come away with 2 impressions:

First off all, the detail. We were emphatic when we started this project that this TV would impress up close as well as at a distance. This TV wasn't designed for quick reaction, but for up-close appreciation. We feel we have done a superb job of producing the TV with the artistic discipline and philosophies of the 1950's Predicta designers. We consider having the naming rights to Predicta to be more of a responsibility than a sales advantage.

Secondly, the Predicta TV should not be viewed as a novelty item. It is a functional piece of equipment that should be used with the same daily regularity of any consumer electronic item you would buy. We didn't design this with the thought of this being a jukebox or phone booth that might be used at parties, but rather a functional piece of art with woodworking that would rival any fine furniture manufacturer. In short, the TV is not a novelty.

have an up date on the Tiki Predicta your member Fink Daddy offered to do some carvings for the Tv so I added his "goofy tooth" carving to the lower strut on the set.
check it out

there's a company out of minnesota that does re-pops of predictas...all updated with modern technology...remote controls, etc.

F

Hey, how cool is that! Mike, are there any pics yet of the finished piece?

Pages: 1 18 replies