Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Working With Big Logs

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

8T

I confess also. My big log is still on the driveway because it is so Dang heavy and Riptide, Polypop,& Spermy haven't shown up yet to help me move it around to my patio. But my home owners assoc. has noticed it and they sent me a very nice letter warning me of termites and suggesting that I move it. How thoughtful. I wonder what kind of letter they are going to send me after I carve a big bad mean tiki and erect it (yes I said ERECT it) at the curb by my mailbox ? I hope they learn to keep their yaps shut when they see that I "moved" the log---just what they asked for. :P

8T

UPDATE: I finally got my boyz togetha to move the big dawg lawg to my back yard so that I can start carving. Thought I would just add a couple of progress shots to prove I actually got it done. It only took me 2 years! One thing I hadn't counted on originally but was pleased to see was that it debarked itself naturally as it dried slowly. Now I am working on a design that is just right for the shape I have to work with. Funny, I sure like this log better now that it is upright and waiting to be carved. Oh boy!

I kept wondering how would be the best way to move this thing without hurting someone, costing too much (rental equip.) or leaving ruts in my lawn. It turned out to be relatively quick and easy by using a 2 wheeled dolly and some ropes plus lots o' muscles. (I made them all eat some spinach before we began.)

"My boys" aka Brothers-in-law and nephews.

B

I lucked into an abandoned bark stripped log from work last year- a customer wanted a raw post in their store and then balked at the idea. It was a Doug Fir log and it weighed about 300 lbs-- it was about 15' tall. These are called peeler logs and you can order them up at most decent sized lumber yards-- in California you may be able to get a variety of species too- and since they are "peeled" you get a clean, rounded, and slightly dried log- without any bark. I had a co-worker help me load it into the back of my Dodge dakota witha 6' bed LOL, and drove 20 miles to my house with this thing tied down (Fat end down at the cab) but sticking out in the air behing the truck. Thank goodness no CHP on the way home.

Once home, but now alone, I droped my tailgate and hoped to cut it right there, but my chainsaw popped its chain. I switched to a sawzall, which is a GREAT electric tool for people to cut and carve with-- much less dangerous than a chainsaw, relatively inexpensive, and there are a variety of blades to use for all sorts of material. Once purchased, you will be surprised at how many time you use the good ol' reciprocating saw.
Finally rotated enough log to have made a 10" plunge all the way around and loped off a nice 6' section. Muscled it via bear hug to yard. Felt like I was on a strange ESPN event. Then I did the same with the next 7' piece- and lastly the 2' but thickest stump section.

6 days later, the lactic acid is just leaving my muscles and I am letting the weather warm up before getting out the mallet and chisel. I hope to get some pictures up soon.

PS- a good way to move wood chunks/logs is to get some nylon webbing and wrap it around the log, even nailing it off after making some handhold loops, and then your team of lifters can all get a good grip on it and move it on the horizontal, Think battering ram.

J

With a prybar and a little muscle.

Dream log right there.

Perfectly round and straight.

I gotta get me one of those!

B

Woah, Super logs JP, Can't wait to see what becomes of them!
Back a few posts I Wonder how Aarons ever came out with HIS Monster log.
The pix of them moving it and his caption Should have had "Nuts" not ruts?
"I kept wondering how would be the best way to move this thing without hurting someone, costing too much (rental equip.) or leaving ruts in my lawn. It turned out to be relatively quick and easy by using a 2 wheeled dolly and some ropes plus lots o' muscles. (I made them all eat some spinach before we began."
I Hope all that was left were Ruts?
ANY Updates?

Pages: 1 2 53 replies