Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Moai off San Francisco 101 North?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I searched for this topic, but it is kind of wierd so I don't know if it's been posted on or not.

Here goes: While stuck in traffic today and driving on 101 North towards the Bay Bridge, a big ugly billboard for Cisco Networks in which a large phone and two ribbon things are attached to make a smiley face caught my eye.

Thankfully this thing did catch my eye because just to the left of it is a huge Moai head!! It looked to be on the outside of someone's backyard fence. I would think someone on our mighty Tiki Central would know something about it, so, does anyone own this? It's really cool!

I've heard about this one from several TC folks in the Bay Area, but I have yet to see it myself. James, can you please post the photo of it from your last visit?

There are people living in that neighborhood (Bernal Heights) who have a signmaking business in their backyard, and their work in progress is often visible from the freeway. They may be the ones responsible for the moai.

T

I spotted this moai with Tikivixen in November when I was in San Francisco on my way to Easter Island!

Lisa picked me up from the airport, and we had some time to kill before meeting the 'ohana at Conga Lounge. When we saw the moai, we knew how we'd be spending that time.

Never mind that it was rush hour and raining, I made Lisa drive up into the residential hills above the 101 north, park the car, and follow me around on foot in the rain as we snuck behind people's houses looking for the rusty metal moai on the hillside.

We did find it, and I made notes on my tape recorder of exactly how to get to it. I also photographed it from several angles.

In order to get close to it, I had to climb along the cliffside, several stories above the traffic below, my feet slipping and sliding on the wet grass, as I used one hand to hold on to a fence, and the other to opperate my camera. One wrong move, and I would have fallen 100 feeet to the freeway below, and would have been hit by multiple cars.

This would have ruined the pictures, I think.

Anyway, I haven't gone through my tape recordings from my Easter Island trip yet, but when I do, I will post the details on how to find this moai here. The pics will be in my upcoming book on Easter Island, Big Stone Head.

The irony that less than one week later I was perched no less precariously on the edge of a volcano, also in the rain, also many meters obve the ground, while exploring the REAL moai on Easter Island is not lost! DangerGirl can attest!

Yep, I saw it the other day. I'll see if I can get some pics...
Aloha,
:tiki:

ahhhhHA! someone DID go seek it out. the drunken hat originally spotted it while we were on our way to the tiki art now show in tikihula's "tikirum" car. tikihula was supposed to go do some further investigation on the moai. is it stone or metal? from far away it looked like an old relic. glad to hear james took care of the dirty work! :wink: (you actually scaled the side of the hill? daaamn)

anticipating the pictures....

T

Giant rusted Moai of San Francisco:

It is in the backyard at 1202 Powhattan.

This is a small blue house.

Note, that it is private property so tread lightly.

It is visible from the 101 freeway heading north from the San Francico airport.

If you head to the corner of Peralta and Courtland, go up the hill, you’ll look across a valley at the moai (as seen in the left picture).

Pages: 1 5 replies