Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What did everyone (who celebrates) get for Xmas? 2004 Edition!

Pages: 1 2 48 replies

M

A very merry christmas for the Martikis: We got a lemon tree and a lime tree! Wooohooo!!!

I got some Pagan Geese.

A

Spanish Tiki Mugs
Mahalo,
Al

T

In addition to my long coveted Amazon Gift Certificate....

But the biggest surprise was this book - Just Above The Mantelpiece...

A really strange & fascinating book! Full of art by Tretchikoff & Keane.... It's risky to get me a book I haven't asked for - but my brother really hit the nail on the head with this one! How can you go wrong with a faux-felt wallpaper cover?

See more here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861541945/ref=sib_rdr_dp/104-1652361-1743131?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-12-26 10:15 ]

First three seasons of "Will and Grace" on DVD.Can't believe how great it is to be able to watch episode after episode.

On 2004-12-26 09:57, Tangaroa wrote:

But the biggest surprise was this book - Just Above The Mantelpiece...

A really strange & fascinating book! Full of art by Tretchikoff & Keane.... It's risky to get me a book I haven't asked for - but my brother really hit the nail on the head with this one! How can you go wrong with a faux-felt wallpaper cover?

..and bloody lucky its out of print here in the UK, i kick myself everyday for not buying it.

I got for X-mas tiki cufflinks, Locas (the big love and rockets book) other stuff and one of those two face glass tiki mugs, which i managed to correctly identify while it was still wrapped.

One tall Munktiki Moai mug, one Super Deluxe Tiki Munktiki Mug, A Miter saw, Lots of gift cards, A pair of Trader Vic's S&P shakers, buncha other stuff as well.

Some of what I got. I like the Java Productions plaque. I have no idea who they were, but the cool a-frame shack on it is cool.

[ Edited by: tikigardener on 2004-12-31 17:21 ]

A 5ft tall carved tiki, Ape mug, Pele mug and various tiki shtuff.

T

I have Just Above the Mantlepiece... I love that book!

Here's my haul... if I can remember it all:

A-Frame Book by Chad Randl
Small Houses Book
Mid Century Modern Houses Book
A fake chirping bird in a cage
Mr Peanut Tiki Mug
Tiny Toothpick Holder Tiki Mug
Orchids of Hawaii Mug
Steve Crane Kon tiki Salt and Peppers
Hawaii Kai Salt and Peppers in Original Box
Fancy Wine
Mary Quant Lip Stuff
Belgian Chocolates
Antique Glass 50's Fish Xmas Ornament
And more... but thats what I remember for now!

I got Shag's Pink Panther watch (from Avon), a windchime w/ a Maori mask on it, Shag's Around the World in 80 drinks, a flat wooden tiki car air freshner, a 1950's advertising art calendar, an Elvis calendar, and a reproduction 1940s desk phone, very film noir. A tidy hall!

T

Ah yes, how could I forget the last 2 things: A Bonjour Hawaii CD from Japan, and a subscription renewal to Atomic Ranch (I highly reccommend this magazine!)

http://www.atomic-ranch.com/

A visit from Crazy Al.

In person!

The kitties got this:

It blows catnip-scented bubbles. Meow!

The book "Hula-Vintage Hawaiian Graphics" by Jim Heimann, a really cool pair of vintage Hawaiian black coral tiki bookends, a tacky Tiki Lounge light (Spencer's Gifts), some barware, 2 bottles of The Reverend Avery ale (one of my faves),a Pac Shores T-shirt (from the bar Pacific Shores in Ocean Beach, S.D.) and some functional stuff too.

My mom, who lives in the middle of nowhere, scored me a large set of mint franciscan dishes.

The most amazing thing I received was a custom built fire place screen from my brother. It has tiki heads on both sides
and their eyes glow when a fire is burning.

T

On 2004-12-26 22:34, cynfulcynner wrote:

Oh man - I need that one!

I already mentioned that I got the dvd of "Curse of the Erotic Tiki"...

I also got 'Tiki Art Now', a BIG votive candle tiki (from my father-in-law's Camel Bucks), a small tiki shot glass from Myrtle Beach from my cousin, a set of printed tiki shot glasses, several tiki picture frames, a few other tiki mugs and cups, a couple of old Hawaiian vinyl LP's, a pair of palm tree wall-hangie things and lots more.

As always, I was well taken care of in the tiki department.

Happy Holidays to all!

Not one but two Mark Thomas Outrigger Mugs, and the Spiderman 1967 Dvds (great cartoon jazz music). Tiki people are so easy to shop for.

T

Harold Lloyd's Hollywood Nudes in 3d. Hubba hubba!

Hula: Vintage Hawaiian Graphics by Jim Heimann (Taschen).

A bottle of Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut liqueur.

A vintage kitchen wall clock.

And I bought myself Taboo Table by Beachbum Berry.

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-12-27 13:49 ]

hmmm... I got a robe & a beard trimmer.
Maybe I'm not sending out the right signals?

I got everything I asked for:

• Sleep until noon
  • No family until 3 PM
  • Lots of red wine!

Cheers! :drink:

I

I also got a robe - from my parents. Wrapped inside my framed 8x10 high school photo, taken 25 years ago. I have been formally taken off my parent's walls, in favor of pictures of their grandchildren, who look cuter anyway.

Other admirable and appreciated gifts....

• a bottle of Trader Vic's mai-tai mix (with the old vintage label)
  • a bottle of Meyer's Original Dark rum.
  • a box full of those bottle-shaped chocolates filled with various liquor flavors.
  • the book 'The Worst Album Covers Ever!'

Vern

On 2004-12-27 07:54, tiki-riviera wrote:
My mom, who lives in the middle of nowhere, scored me a large set of mint franciscan dishes.

Oooh! Which pattern? What do the markings on the underside say? (I don't collect Franciscan, but Mom does.)

On 2004-12-27 09:13, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2004-12-26 22:34, cynfulcynner wrote:
"Offbeat Museums" book

Oh man - I need that one!

I later found out that this was supposed to be a gift for me last year! My mom bought it and hid it in the closet, then promptly forgot about it until she found it while cleaning last month.

Hey Cynfulcynner:

The underside reads Gladding Mcbean & Co.,
made in California. They're the atomic starburst pattern. I already set the divided veggie dish in the middle of my Heywood Wakefield table and it looks awesome!

thats cool

On 2004-12-26 21:05, RevBambooBen wrote:
A visit from Crazy Al.

In person!

I got a new ukelele hand painted by the tiki king...a fluke
Yeah!

Haole Kats CD

Harvey's Lake Tahoe Mug (thanks Tiki Royale)

Tiki Jee Jee set: Pina Colada mix, "Tiki Bar Sugar", and a cute little Marq mug

Bottle of PYRAT Rum

Tikiesque mask from Indonesia

Good times with family and friends as well as lots of other good stuff!
-FB

On 2004-12-28 10:02, tiki-riviera wrote:
The underside reads Gladding Mcbean & Co.,
made in California. They're the atomic starburst pattern.

Wow -- can you post pictures of the design and the mark?

I didn't know Gladding McBean ever made dishes! They are based in Lincoln CA (about 30 miles north of Sacramento) and have been around for over 100 years. Their main products are sewer pipe and architectural terra-cotta. I toured their factory earlier this year and the kilns are HUGE! Check 'em out at http://gladdingmcbean.paccoast.com/default.jsp

On 2004-12-26 19:54, tikifish wrote:
Ah yes, how could I forget the last 2 things: A Bonjour Hawaii CD from Japan, and a subscription renewal to Atomic Ranch (I highly reccommend this magazine!)

http://www.atomic-ranch.com./

As do we. Great magazine. Marian got a subscription from me, plus back issues for X-mas.

My best haul was a pair of vintage tiki books ends. Just the thing for proping up the BoT and related south sea titles.

D

i musta been good this year, no coal, just lots of fun stuff!

awesome handmade Stained Glass ~ from my friend Scott ~ his first project, all hand-cut glass and soldered.. isnt it beautiful?

Tiki Play Doh
Shag calendar
vintage blow molded santa and candlestick
Moai Tissue Dispenser
Hula Honey Coasters
Shag Cocktail Napkins
miehana and kula Tiki Farm Mugs
Tiki Pitcher
Tiki Glitter Lamp
musical and dancing Hallmark Hula Santa ornament

Carved Paddle from Oceanic Arts

other stuff:
Pee Wee Herman, boxed set
cookbooks, and more books
gift baskets

our friends got us custom painted Martini Glasses (pics when they arrive)

oh yes, and a white christmas

On 2004-12-29 15:52, dogbytes wrote:

awesome handmade Stained Glass ~ from my friend Scott ~ his first project, all hand-cut glass and soldered.. isnt it beautiful?

whoa! yer friend scott made you a beaut there! i like the use of the textured glass...

my wahine (w.k.) among other things gave me

a handcarved (12") tiki carved and painted by her! whooda thunkit.
tiki art now
intoxica
3 arthur lyman CD's
aku aku
monkey w/ fez towel

and

c'al ape mug (on order) ~ a huge MAHALO to Holden for being so responsive to her concerns about getting the mug for xmas, and for making the custom graphic as a place marker! mega style points to holden and all of tiki farm! :) :) :)

A new chisel set, two large pieces of carving wood, two Combustible Edison cd's, the Martin Denny Exotica I and II cd, a tiki keychain made by my daughter, the tiki drink calander, some cologne from my mom, a cool new shirt from my sis, a suffering bastard mug from my neighbor, and other stuff I can't remember right now.

here is what the drunken hat got for me this x-mas. it is a panel by gecko. its new home is in the dark marq.

WAOUW!

After seeing the stained glass and Gecko panel, I'm feeling a bit of that post-christmas-envy!

I guess I should try to be a better boy next year!

Hey DogBytes,

I'd say your friend scott is a friend in deed! What a great unique gift!

-FB

Hey all,

This was a pretty uneventful Xmas except for the following:

A LakeTiki!

Last years' Xmas gift finally framed.

A Brain in a Box.

Some Beverages.

The newly updated version of Playboys' Bar Book
Shag Calendar
Shag Book

and, of course, an assortment of tiki-esque things that aren't really tiki, but people think I want them anyway

-Z

Zombiefied- Man, that frame looks just like the one we put our Kahiki poster in! I mean identical!! Small, tikified world.

Thanks for the pics!

Cthulhu Slippers :)

An apartment in a mid-century modern complex.

The stomach flu. :(

M

A nail gun...he, he, he....

hey tikiwanihe, that kicks booty! :)

a FIRE TIKI would be a handy thing to have in day-to-day life...

Friends and relatives gave me a DVD player, Michael Wallis' book, Route 66 The Mother Road, an issue of Atomic Ranch, A Jack's Cosmic Dogs (Mt Pleasant, SC) t-shirt, a picture frame and...

...a Ron Jon tiki mug shirt (background), two tiki candles and a tiki picture frame. I left Santalope a tiny Mai Tai in a Tiki Bob's glass and he brought me a Hawaiian condom.

Forget mainsteam Santa and his milk and cookies; leave Santalope a few drops of rum and he'll give you sex supplies.

And of course, when you want the best in Hawaiian condoms, think: M&M Rubber Co., Stilwell, KS.

Four fabulous books:

"Hula Dancers and Tiki Gods" ("a Schiffer Book for Collectors- with price guide")
by Chris Pfouts, Schiffer Publishing, 2001.
It's more Hula dancers, than tiki gods, but it has tons of examples of items such as the June 1954 "Man" magazine that features a hula girl on the cover, as well as an article titled, "Hog-Tying A Mountain Lion."

"Hawaiiana - The Best of Hawaiian Design" by Mark Blackburn, Revised and expanded 2nd edition with price guide, Schiffer Publications, revised 2001.
This book has everything Hawaiiana in it! Paper, textiles, dolls & figurines, music, lamps & accessories for the home, jewelry, souvenirs, ceramics and glass.

"The Aloha Shirt- Spirit of the Islands" by Dale Hope with Gregory Tozian, Beyond Words Publishing, 2000.

Best of all - the "Tiki Style" icons version of the "Book of Tiki." The portable little book that will change people's lives for the better.

T

Mrs Pineapple knows what I like! She really surprised me with (among many other things) a couple of the DVD box sets of Thunderbirds episodes.

Man, you can't beat those awesome 60s set designs and clothes. They also drank a fair amount, for puppets! I love when the nuclear-powered airliner is circling because it can't land, so the passengers hit the on-board bar for another martini! They really knew how to fly back then!

I'm also a huge fan of Derek Medding's miniture work. He was one of my biggest childhood inspirations and really helped me get where I am today, art-wise.

On 2004-12-27 13:05, the75stingray wrote:
I already mentioned that I got the dvd of "Curse of the Erotic Tiki"...

Still waiting for a review of that by someone - could be great, could be appalling.....anyone?

I got nothing remotely Tiki - a Residents DVD, some unusual cheeses, some climbing boots, a weekend in Wales, a new Hunter S Thompson book, a Fall album, various boozes and one of those leatherman tool things.

Trader Woody

HT

I posted it in Collecting Tiki, but might as well put it here. "Between christmas gifts, thrift store finds, and stuff bought with christmas money while I was home with family, I had a hell of a haul. This, of course, doesn't include all the spoon and fork sets I found, or the new mugs I ordered. After my new mugs, I think I'm up to about 110 or something. Not much at all, but I've only been collecting for a year.
"

1. Frankentiki Mug Set
  2. Pineapple Salt and Pepper Shakers
  3. Politically incorrect shot glasses
  4. Suck Em UP Hawaii Shot Glass
  5. All the mugs from my last post
  6. A volcano bowl from Kowloon. Crappy modern one
  7. Bosko Mug
  8. Tiki Farm Mr Bali Hai
  9. Two Polynesian Village Mugs
  10. HIP Tall tiki, 3 bro's tiki statues
  11. Parrot Mug
  12. Sumo Wrestler Mug
  13. 3 Samurai Grog mugs
  14. Fu Manchu Mug
  15. 2 panda mugs
  16. Tepco handled mug
  17. Pressed glass shaker with recipies on top
  18. 3 various geisha benihaha style mugs
    And of course, 3 sets of tiki fork and spoons, 1 design I've never seen before.

All and all, with the witco piece I sold, and whatnot, I think it was a hell of a Tiki Christmas for me!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2005-01-13 16:59 ]

On 2005-01-13 16:58, Hale Tiki wrote:
I posted it in Collecting Tiki, but might as well put it here. "Between christmas gifts, thrift store finds, and stuff bought with christmas money while I was home with family, I had a hell of a haul. This, of course, doesn't include all the spoon and fork sets I found, or the new mugs I ordered. After my new mugs, I think I'm up to about 110 or something. Not much at all, but I've only been collecting for a year.
"

1. Frankentiki Mug Set
  2. Pineapple Salt and Pepper Shakers
  3. Politically incorrect shot glasses
  4. Suck Em UP Hawaii Shot Glass
  5. All the mugs from my last post
  6. A volcano bowl from Kowloon. Crappy modern one
  7. Bosko Mug
  8. Tiki Farm Mr Bali Hai
  9. Two Polynesian Village Mugs
  10. HIP Tall tiki, 3 bro's tiki statues
  11. Parrot Mug
  12. Sumo Wrestler Mug
  13. 3 Samurai Grog mugs
  14. Fu Manchu Mug
  15. 2 panda mugs
  16. Tepco handled mug
  17. Pressed glass shaker with recipies on top
  18. 3 various geisha benihaha style mugs
    And of course, 3 sets of tiki fork and spoons, 1 design I've never seen before.

A decent haul in terms of quantity, but perhaps in the future you should be looking at buying stuff that's meaningful in terms of your own particular interests. Maybe look for stuff from Tiki Bars near you?

Anyway, it's a really great base for a Tiki collection, but perhaps in the future you should turn your attention to the more unusual end of the spectrum.

Trader Woody

HT

Actually, I'm going for quantity. You see, most of the Tiki Bars on the east coast are defunct. There's very few still in existance, let alone traditional, established bars. I've got mugs from Kowloon, Bali Hai, and a few others. But, mugs from the original Kona Kai, Pub Tiki, etc, are insanely hard to find. I've scoured the Philadelphia area for about a year looking for Tiki stuff from former bars, with no luck. I spent 2 years in DC searching everywhere I could think of, including going to VA and MD to find thrift stores. I'll be damned if I can find ANYTHING that even proved TV's existed. I did, however, get to spend many a night at the Honolulu, and have some lovely prints of the food and people there. So, for now, I go for quantity. Especially if that means mugs that are no more than $2, and most under $1. I still have yet to hit Kahiki Moon, and the NYC bars. And I'm dying to go to the Mai Kai, crossing my fingers for Hukilau 2005!

I realized I didn't explain why I'm going for quantity. I buy anything I even remotely like, in hopes of being able to have a wall of tiki mugs, hopefully behind MY bar. Not that that will happen. But, I look at tiki mugs, antiques, and records as such "If it is is older than 20 years, and I haven't seen it before, and it's a deal, I buy it. If its not a deal, I weigh how much I want it, and what are my chances of seeing it again." Whereas I go to thrift stores at least once a month, if not more, I know what I will and won't see again. So, if it's super common, I only pick it up if I don't have it. Anyway, how hard is it to collect in the UK? At least you've got a Vic's within reasonable distance. ALoha!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2005-01-13 19:19 ]

Pages: 1 2 48 replies