Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Egg Nog

Pages: 1 4 replies

P

OK - well - that was interesting.

Christmas with the rum nog. Don't worry about getting drunk on it because it's so rich there's no way you could drink more than a couple of glasses. So it's good for moms and mominlaws.

Here's my modification of the recipe from the Joy of Cooking which is much thicker than Vic's.

separate a dozen eggs and whip the yolks until creamy
gradually beat in a box of powdered sugar
gradually beat in 2 cups of dark rum ( I used Coruba)
cover and set in the fridge for 30-45 minutes

whip in 1.5 cups of Licor 43 and 1.5 cups of light rum
whip in 8 cups of heavy cream (yes 8)
cover and set in the fridge for 2 hours

take the egg whites and add a pinch of cream of tartar and a teaspoon of sugar and whip them into white, fluffy peaks

fold the merangue into the bowl of nog

hit it hard with fresh grated nutmeg

Serve and watch people give you that look they give you when you casually ask them something deeply personal in front of friends. That "are you kidding me" sorta incredulous half-smile.

S

Sounds quite good but I'm not too sure that I would want to drink something containing so much raw egg.

The Devil's White Egg Gnog...

1/3 glass mixture of light, dark and coconut-flavored rum
splash of cinnamon syrup
two splashes of coconut liqueur
1/3 glass store-bought eggnog
1/3 glass crushed ice

mix and quaff

Tried it last night, and later dreamed I was pissing blood. Tasty, though.

[ Edited by: White Devil 2012-12-21 05:46 ]

it's Christmas Eve!

here's two nogtails i've invented this very night:

General Washington's Delaware Christms Nog

4 oz storebought eggnog [Publix makes the best]; 3/4 oz Jamaican overproof rum; 1/2 oz cream sherry; ice and nutmeg to suit ye.

Rabbie Burns' Cup O' Kindness Nogge

4 oz store-bought eggnog; 1.5 oz blended scotch whisky; teaspoon of honey; 2 dashes of Pernod; top w/nutmeg.

D

On 2004-12-26 15:01, pablus wrote:

OK - well - that was interesting.

Christmas with the rum nog. Don't worry about getting drunk on it because it's so rich there's no way you could drink more than a couple of glasses. So it's good for moms and mominlaws.

Here's my modification of the recipe from the Joy of Cooking which is much thicker than Vic's.

separate a dozen eggs and whip the yolks until creamy
gradually beat in a box of powdered sugar
gradually beat in 2 cups of dark rum ( I used Coruba)
cover and set in the fridge for 30-45 minutes

whip in 1.5 cups of Licor 43 and 1.5 cups of light rum
whip in 8 cups of heavy cream (yes 8)
cover and set in the fridge for 2 hours

take the egg whites and add a pinch of cream of tartar and a teaspoon of sugar and whip them into white, fluffy peaks

fold the merangue into the bowl of nog

hit it hard with fresh grated nutmeg

Serve and watch people give you that look they give you when you casually ask them something deeply personal in front of friends. That "are you kidding me" sorta incredulous half-smile.

That is basically how you make a mousse, except that you are using powdered sugar for granulated sugar, and then you are using rum to keep it from actually forming into a solid - probably tastes like rum egg custard and is very thick - powdered sugar usually has cornstarch added into it, so that would help it keep it's consistancy, if you wanted it runnier you would want to using glazing sugar, which is basically powdered sugar without the cornstarch

Pages: 1 4 replies