Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Willie the Kangaroo Rat - Children's Literature

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

I figured that if I was going to get into K-6th grade teaching, I ought to try my hand at writing some children's books.

My first work is entitled "Willie the Kangaroo Rat".

The story opens as Willie (the Kangaroo Rat) hops out onto Coast Hwy and gets smashed by a truck.

I'm having a little difficulty developing the rest of the story though...

Oddly enough, even though I plan on this being a fiction work, it's based on a true story.

I was driving down PCH by the Bolsa Chica wetlands and this little kangaroo rat came hoping out and I ran him down.

I didn't really know Willie much though (I'm not even sure his name was 'Willie', it's just that it gave me the willies when I mowed him).

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on my progress...

in keeping with the K-6 theme:

it is determined that poor willy was smushed by a truck driven by an AFL-CIO member. Local school board members take offense at the death of said rat. This will bring down a "sympathetic picket" by the CTA and CSEA. Then, death threats will be made. An evil law firm will sue the school district for millions for violation of the Brown Act. The crazy judge will award it. All the children will suffer and watered down glue will be substituted for their subsidized milk to save costs...

and the kindergarten teachers will get together and sell glittery macaroni necklaces to raise money for animal rights awareness. and then the OCA will protest that animal rights are anti-Biblical and will file a suit. and then the union members will grieve. and the someone will file an OCR complaint over discrimination that regular rats are receiving disparate treatment from the kangaroo rats.

I could go on, but I really shouldn't!

MG

Will the kids be allowed to call you Mr Bong?

On 2005-01-06 19:55, MEAN GENE wrote:
Will the kids be allowed to call you Mr Bong?

No. I don't give out my phone number.

["I was driving down PCH by the Bolsa Chica wetlands and this little kangaroo rat came hoping out and I ran him down."]

Now are you sure he was "hoping" to get run over Mr. School Teacher?

Or was he hopping out in the highway and you could not miss him because once again "BONG"
you took the HIGH-way.

Baxdog correcting grammar
I can't stop laffing at myself

T

(Note to self: be sure to get a teaching job in Baxdog's school district...)

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2005-01-08 16:31 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies