Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Novato Grotto First Annual White Rum Tasting Results

Pages: 1 6 replies

M

So the other night, I decided to do a blind tasting of the white rums in the bar. So yes, this scientific panel consisted of me. It was totally blind- I had Rebecca pour out the rums in random order in another room and just identify them by letters. The tasting consisted of seven rums. I did not include Bacardi White, because, well, you know, it's crap. The palete was cleaned between each tasting with purified water and Carr's palin crackers. (oh, how posh!) The results were a little surprising to me in some cases. Most were more than acceptable, and often great. So here are the reulsts in no particular order, with my notes followed by the rum.

A. Rough start, but lots of character. Not very dry, a sweet start and a warm finish. Ron Flor De Cana 4 year

B. Smooth start, very light sweetness, a hint of spice and a light lime finish Pyrat White

C. Ultra smooth on the palate, with a sharp, vegetal, almost single malt finish Havana Club White

D. Semi-smooth, with a light hint of caramel ** Myers's White**

E. Rough start, dry, with a slight melon finish Rogue White Rum note: made in small batches by Rogue Brewing in Portland. Check it out!

F. Very Smooth, with butter up front and a very clean finish Appleton White

G. Very rough, terribly harsh rubbing alcohol smell, awful taste, no redeeming qualities. Rhum Barbancourt White

Well, I was certainly surprised by G. It probably mixes well in a pinch, but I'll be wary from now on. I'm sure lots of you will disagree on this, but what other whites do people reccomend?

I've never been big on whites, but was quite taken back by PYRAT white. I'll second your enthusiasm for this one! It's one of the good ones!
-FB

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2005-01-08 01:53 ]

You gotta try Pyrat White in a mojito.
Awesome!

On 2005-01-08 11:23, Unga Bunga wrote:
You gotta try Pyrat White in a mojito.
Awesome!

This is the way Tony Ramos makes his mojitos. If you don't know who he is, check out Intoxica, he's got his own page. Beachbum and I visited him at Ciudad in downtown Los Angeles where he was(and maybe still is) bartending a couple days a week, and he wowed us with this mojito recipe.
Martiki, great tasting notes, but no more lone-man tastings! Invite your weird uncle tiki to join in and offer up his persnickety palate, eh?

-Weird Uncle Tiki

P
pablus posted on Sat, Jan 8, 2005 4:51 PM

Thanks for the info!
Now I'll know what to avoid. I know that when used in cocktails it's not as critical, but why use the crappy stuff if you don't have to?

Ran

M

It's true- I wouldn't want to sip any whites, but you really do want something non-offensive to use as a base. And heck, with the exception of the Rogue, most are only a few dollars more than Bacardi, so why not spring for the quality?

Pages: 1 6 replies