Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Recycled Science Projects (parents take note)

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

*** Advisory Notice - Parental Venting ***

What a waste of time! I just spent 4 hours constructing my daughter's science project for her.

Her lame-ass science teacher wanted each student to make a roller coaster (for the study of energy conversion, friction, and the law of conservation of energy don't you know).

Now based on the dimensions, there's no way you couldn't have done it on a small scale.

Now I'm not saying that 13 year-old girls and boys can't use Skilsaws, drills and glue guns, but since CA doesn't offer shop classes anymore, there's a small chance they'd know how to.

So, I spent my day in the garage, teaching my daughter the art of swearing, building this piece of s&@%!

But low and behold I came upon an idea to get back at the local science teachers. And that is this - we recycle science projects between parents on a world-wide scale (except for Zimbabwe).

E
eel posted on Sun, Jan 9, 2005 4:37 AM

I remember my Dad teaching me to use a drill, mitre saw, post hole digger, level, and belt sander when I was 14. Together we built cages for my rabbits and a pen for my lamb. I fondly remember those times with my Dad as he is very ill now. So will your daughter.
And I'll keep you in mind as my son has those big science projects comming up. I also think there is too much "parent homework" I try to make my son do all of his big projects and reports but it is hard when you see what other parents have turned in.

A

In the early 80's we had to build a California Mission in 4th grade and construct a mini "Float" for our state report in 5th grade. I guess they felt small children were experts in model building and construction. Yikes!

P

Why not Zimbabwe?

T

On 2005-01-09 04:37, eel wrote:
I fondly remember those times with my Dad as he is very ill now.

Reminds me of a quote whose author I can't recall - "memory is what gives us roses in winter".

I remember making one of those flour paste relief maps of California in grade school(not a science project, but still...) and before it was dry, our Great Dane, Argus, consumed most of Northern California, then vomited it up in various high traffic areas of the hallway and kitchen. Yes, my dog literally ate my project.
Does that qualify as "recycled"?

Pages: 1 5 replies