Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tips on reducing nectar to syrup?

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hi,
Lately I've been experimenting with a some nectars, especaily pear nectar. Trouble is that in order to feel them you need a large quantity which makes a huge drink that only has 2 Oz of rum. So I though, why not fortify with pear syrup. Turned out my supplier of Monin doesn't have it, and I didn't want to order it. Since I have a few bottles of nectar to experiment with, I though why not reduce it and see how it goes.
I have read online recipes that say you need to take juice, add sugar, a little lemon and cook...but to me this seems like adding extra sugar to something that already is full of it. Do you think I can just cook the nectar until it becomes thick enough?
did anyone try this before?

Thanks,
Ran

H

I would imagine that cooking the nectar in order to boil out water would be a good approach. Another thing you could try would be to take some canned pears in heavy syrup and just put all of the contents in a blender to create a puree. Or possibly better yet, fresh ripe pears in a blender with a little water (or none?) and maybe sugar. These may be better starting points than the pear nectar.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi on 2005-01-09 08:33 ]

D

Reducing would be a good idea-just a few tips:do it slowly,stir often,and use a nonstick pan.Keep an eye on it because burned fruit juice is a huge pain to clean up.

I had a bunch of cans of nectar layin' around so i decided to try it out. I boiled down 24 ounces of passion fruit nectar (with out adding sugar or any other ing.) and after boiling long enough to get a syrup ended up with a little over 3 ounces to use as a syrup. really not worth it when you can buy a bottle of trader vics passion fruit for 5-6 bucks.

Pages: 1 3 replies