Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Attileo Mineo

Pages: 1 8 replies

I love that stuff that Attileo Mineo was doing on 1962's "Man In Space With Sound". I really like that spacey, sputnik, "blip-blip" type of experimentation that was popular back then. However, the album is very difficult to find and probably costs a soul to acquire.

Was there anyone else back then doing the same kind of spaced-out, futuristic stuff that Mineo was doing on that album? Someone easier to acquire hopefully. I'd like to add some of this music to my growing library of exotica, lounge, and bachelor vibes.

Thanks in advance!

[ Edited by: Blue Pango on 2005-01-11 00:19 ]

Fantastica by Russ Garcia is one that comes to mind. No real beeps/boops but I think the music itself is much more space sounding than Man In Space With Sounds.

You can find it here on Jack Diamond music (Jack put out the Man In Space With Sounds CD):

http://www.jackdiamond.com/default/yzcart/yzcart.php?sid=Cv1S16RHrQcfMUY&page=face.php&p=keyword_found&keysearch=1&keyword=garcia

There's MP3 samples on his site.

If you order it from Jack Diamond tell him you found it on Tiki Central.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-01-11 00:33 ]

Blue Pango,
You should check out BASTA's release: Popular electronics, where you get new remastered music by Tom Dissevelt and Kid Baltan, legendary outer space electronica from the late 50s and early 60s. A beautiful designed 4CD set also include much more Dutch pioneering electronic music.

text copied from Basta:
"Tom Dissevelt, Kid Baltan, Henk Badings and Dick Raaijmakers - Popular Electronics
Subtitled: Early Dutch Electronic Music from Philips Research Laboratories 1956-1963. Four CDs of historical, long desired early electronic music from legendary Dutch composers, (in association with Philips) packaged in a deluxe box with 8(!) individual booklets of liner notes and photos, etc. (180 total pages). Plus a series of fold-out posters of electronic scores, stickers, etc. Simply over the top. Fans of Pierre Henry, Jean-Jacques Perrey, Raymond Scott's electronic music, etc. -- should all investigate at full speed. "A multi-CD release that will give a historic overview of Dutch popular and applied electronic music from 1956-63. The CD's contain music from Henk Badings, Kid Baltan, and Tom Dissevelt. Besides tracks that have been released on vinyl in the late 50's / early 60's on Philips (Kain en Abel, Song of the Second Moon, Evolutionen, Electronic Movements, Contrasts, Mechanical Motions, Pianoforte, Intersection, Fanatasy in Orbit), many never before published material has been re-discovered and restored for this project. Graphic design by Schreuders and Sonja Hamel. The text includes contributions by Rudie Kagie, book editor is Irwin Chusid."

http://www.basta.nl/scripts/catalogus.cgi?cat_no=71828443

Thank you so much for the recommendations! Jack Diamond's site is awesome! I spent an hour at least surfing the tunes...what a find. I can see myself spending some money there. It's a definite must see for the fan of obscure and hard to find genres. The Garcia piece will definitely find a place in my home.

The other electronic stuff also caught my attention. The price tag on that particular collection is a bit high for me right now, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I could see myself purchasing that set down the line.

Thank you again! The replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated folks.

**Oh, and lookit that...Mr. Diamond had the Mineo cd I was looking for...and at a very reasonable price. I'm always very pleased when I find a new joint to get great music from. It happens about 2 or 3 times a year. This was one of those times.

[ Edited by: Blue Pango on 2005-01-11 23:15 ]

I

If you are interested in space age blips and pings, you must get the amazing Raymond Scott 2CD and book set 'Manhattan Research, Inc.'

If the above paragraph doesn't convince you to buy this set, perhaps this page will
http://raymondscott.com/mripr.html

Vern

hi ikitnrev....thanks for the tip...looks
and sounds like a tremendous find...ordered
it right away! I've been collecting music
like a fiend since 1964...where was this
guy hiding?

This is pretty off-topic but I just picked up a pretty nutty-sounding album out there called "percussions" by end.

It's beeps and boops but minus the space-age instrumentals. It's definitely modern techo but it's pretty wild sounding and unlike any techno I've ever heard (although I'm not a huge techo listener). They sample the bongo opening from 80 Drums Around The World's "Caravan" (on Mondo Exotica) but they heavily flange it until it's almost unreconizable. It's like Tipsy minus the music -- just the crazy electronic sounds.

Pretty cool album ... if anyone knows of anything else like it, please let me know.

Here's a link to it on Amazon: (note the music samples given there are screwed up; samples 1 and 2 are from the same song)

End "Percussions"

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-01-12 14:31 ]

I knew who Raymond Scott was, but I was only aware of his "cartoony" stuff that he did for Warner Brothers back in the 40s and 50s (Bugs Bunny, etc). I was not aware of his experiments with electronics and his sound inventions. That site is impressive. Anyone interested in pre-moog electronics (like myself) must look at this site and listen to some of those early sound bites. I'm definitely picking up that "Manhattan" cd. Raymond Scott was THE pioneer in early electronica.

Wow - besides exotica, space age music is what I love best. I'd recommend Louis and Bebe Barron's 1956 soundtrack to Forbidden Planet, and the following websites give you a good "checklist" of other spacey titles to keep your eyes and ears peeled for. I have most of these, and I would have to second the suggestion of Russ Garcia's Fantastica, which is, simply, FANTASTIC.

http://www.hobbyspace.com/Music/music2.html

http://www.exoteque.com/exotica/osearticle.html

-kittenhead

Pages: 1 8 replies