Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Polynesian Mobile Home Park in Santa Clarita threatened by California Storms

Pages: 1 3 replies

I was watching the news last night and suddenly I caught a closeup of a cool tiki-themed sign and people being evacuated from the Polynesian Mobile Home Park in Santa Clarita. Evidently flooding and mud have done some damage:

http://www.the-signal.com/News/ViewStory.asp?storyID=6208

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E20949%257E2632944,00.html

Has anyone ever been to this mobile home park before? The story mentions a rec room - wonder if it's Polynesian in design. Any carved tikis in danger of floating away? Just curious.

Sabu

T

I noticed that too last night! I went to school up there - but never even heard of this place.... Just goes to show what you can miss in your own backyard if you aren't paying attention.... Anyone get pics of the signage? I did see one of the mobile home "houses" sliding into the river on the news....

Tragic as this story is, further down the page in the 2nd link is a bit by Dennis Mcarthy asking what they had done to deserve this weather... next to an ad for a new SUV.

In my studies of local mobile home parks, I have come across the Polynesian MHP. Aside from the one sign, I didn't notice any other evidence of Tiki. In addition, compared to most of the other MHPs I'm familar with, it rates rather low on the scale mainly because it was so poorly maintained and consisted of mostly older, dilapidated homes and RVs. I also saw the story on the news and they interviewed a resident who said the drain near the park had been clogged for the previous 6 months, but that nothing had been done about it.

On a side note:
For a truly Tiki MHP check out the Kona Kai Mobile Village in Canoga Park (in the San Fernando Valley). The Rec room has been frozen in time. Looks like they probably have weekly luaus there. They also have a hot tub off of the pool area that has shells all embedded in the wall beside it. There is one Tiki at the entrance, but it does not appear to be of an authentic style and is also painted bright colors.

Kona Kai is, however, a senior park and therefore you must be 55 or older to own a home there. But you can be under 55 and live there as long as the owner/ co-resident is 55 or older. Hey, we could all move there as we all turn 55 and take over the place!

Pages: 1 3 replies