Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anybody have any idea what film this still is from?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I saw this on an Ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3951818737#ebayphotohosting

It looks like the guy who has his hands in the air is Red Buttons, but I could be wrong. I searched IMDB under his name but I couldn't find anything related to Tiki. Anybody know?

(by the way this seller on Ebay has some cool items, but they are WAAAY over priced. A Mai Kai postcard for $50??!! I know it's a very cool thing but, dream on!)

A Ticklish Affair 1963. Gig Young is sitting next to Red Buttons, my guess is the two girls would be Carolyn Jones and Shirley Jones. I'd love to see this though, wonder where you could find it, netflix and amazon don't carry it.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-16 00:46 ]

JT

I don't know the movies name but I'm pretty sure if was filmed at the Kahiki because I've seen them use this same photo in advertisements.

This could JUST be the Kahiki.

It opened in 1961, and this movie was released in 1963, which means it was filmed in 1962 or early 1963. The seller puts the photo at 1961-1962. So Kahiki is a definite possiblity, especially if they used this pic to advertise the place (I have never seen them use this pic personally though).

BUT... looking at the bald tiki above the blonde woman's head, and the ships rigging behind it, neither of these details are from the Kahiki. That said, the place certainly underwent some changes between 1961 and my visits there in the 1990s.

It would make more sense, however that a Hollywood movie would be filmed in a place in LA - there were SO MANY Tiki temples there, after all. Why go all the way to Columbus, Ohio to film a Tiki scene when there were opportunities gfaloree right down the street from the film studios?

link to the old thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1099&forum=5&start=210

Here's a picture from the archives from Tiki Central from one of Basement Kahuna's weekend hauls. Not being an expert I haven't a clue what Tiki Temple was used for this film, but I agree with tikibars that filming in LA it doesn't make much sense to go to Ohio for a shot when you have plenty of access to many tiki establishments in your backyard. I read somewhere that scenes of this movie were filmed at Balboa Park in San Diego, Giig Youngs character wearing a Naval Uniform it would be safe to assume the naval base was also used in San Diego. So maybe they shot the restaurant scene in San Diego too? The Hanalei's Islands maybe?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-16 11:16 ]

S

Internet Movie DataBase says that it was filmed in San Diego. No mention of it released on video, but Dawn was right about the cast.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-01-16 11:28 ]

HT

I just want to point out that this is a number of sellers on ebay profiting from Sven's work. I've called 3 sellers on it so far, but most I've run into have just used a quality scanner and photoshop to scan in the pic from BOT. This guy, however, has managed to get the original still, as it includes more of hte lamp and backgound than the BOT. Anyway, Just wanted to point that out for the hell of it.

PS - To his credit, a Pele mug went yesterday for $51, but, unlike other sellers, he actually started the mug at the retail price he paid for it, so kudos to this seller.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2005-01-16 14:22 ]

H

I know this seller in real life, he's a good friend of a good friend, and the few times we've hung out, he's been incredibly sweet to me. I have no light to shed on him as a businessperson, I don't know his eBay history, but he's a good guy in my book.

D

Has anybody seen 'A Ticklish Affair' and is it a) any good? and b) is the scen in the Tiki bar worth checking the movie out for?

As far as the seller; like I said I think he has some cool items, but being a frequent vitntage Tiki bar restaurant postcard buyer, I think his 'buy it now' prices are a bit steep. I have that Mai Kai postcard, and I paid less than half of what he has it listed for. And even if he is going for the gusto, which there is certainly nothing wrong with, that is priced WAY off the radar.

Soon after BK found his lobbycard and named the movie, I used the info to find my own set of lobby cards from this movie on Ebay for a reasonable price. Sets of originals do turn up from time to time. I think I paid about $20 for my set.

J

Just in case anybody wants to buy it, the lobby card is on http://www.moviegoods.com for $9.99. The link to the page with the lobby card is http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_product.asp?sku=32735&master%5Fmovie%5Fid=1536.

Pages: 1 10 replies