Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

DUDES! this RocKs!

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

B

hey whatzzup!? i can't believe all you all are out there and in tiki land too!!! i love tikis, tiki bars and i like to PARTY HARTY!

there ain't nothing better than kickin back, crankin up some buffet, smokin a fatty and drinkin a margerita at my homemade tiki bar.

I MAKE THE MOST BADASS MARGERITAS ON THE WHOLE GULFCOAST!

if anybody's ever in my neck of the woods just holler at me cuz i am ready to party down!

ROCK ON! buffetiki

[ Edited by: buffetiki on 2002-10-07 08:55 ]

T

(No Comment)

A

What's this, Bong is rendered speachless.
Al

Someone is having way to much fun in the bama sun! This is just to funny! Good thing I wasnt drinking milk when I read this post! Rock on Buffetiki! By the way, what part of Alabama are you from? Oh and Rock on buffetiki!

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-10-07 13:05 ]

B

maybe tiki bong is rindered speachless cuz he just took a big old hit off his tiki bong! :wink:

tiki bong: your name is badass. almost but not quite as badass as mine.

Kokomo: i am a proud homeowner down here in a little peice of paradise called THE REDNECK RIVIERA. also known as GULF SHORES, alabama. where you live man?

buffetiki

S

I am beginning to think people are joining this board with various aliases, either to say things out of character or stir things up or whatever. Maybe there should be some sort of cookie varification to prevent people. Especially if there should come a day when someone gets banned from TC. It happens to the best of boards.

On 2002-10-07 09:26, KokomoTikiBar&Grill wrote:
Someone is having way to much fun in the bama sun! This is just to funny! Good thing I wasnt drinking milk when I read this post! Rock on Buffetiki! By the way, what part of Alabama are you from?

too much fun? shoot there ain't no such thing as havin to much fun man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rock on wit your own badself. buffetiki

T

Ah yes... the mark of the beast may take many forms.....

dude ,jimmy buffet sucks major ass.......tikijaksin, "tikithuggery since '97"

I practically lived half my summer life in Gulf Shores. Was down there about 3 weeks ago just to stop in and eat at Lamberts. My in-laws had never been. I am from a small community called Kokomo, Mississippi. About 45 miles west of Hattiesburg. Oh and ROck On buffetiki!

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-10-07 13:04 ]

I'm sorry, but just in case this is not a prank, I have to forego the niceties and simply state:

A.) Jimmy Buffet is NOT Tiki
B.) Margharitas are NOT Tiki
C.) "Rock On" is not Tiki

I am glad you like to party, and that you like Tiki, but the Tiki Cult, while not being orthodox, requires a certain higher state of consciousness that that is hard to describe to the uninitiated. Study the scriptures and then report back, my son.

"Rock On" Bigbro!!!

It ya' can't spank it, buff it!

T

I don't know... I'm not taking the bait on this one. Something just ain't right.

I agree it seems funny, but he does know that we call Gulf Shores the Redneck Riviera. I think he is new! Sounds like a South Alabama Redneck to me! You can hear Margaritaville playing in every bar in Gulf Shores. Especially in the Pink Pony! Man I hated that place!

Hmmmm, maybe it's MAD-TIKI's new identity.

T

Tikimug,

Me thinks you're right on this one.

Buffetiki hit every anti-tiki buzz word you could think of.

Either that or TC just picked up some 'interesting' people after the Atlanta gig ala 'Deliverance'.

Name this tune: ba da ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, ba da ding ding ding!

Oh and ROck On Buffetiki!

T

I could name that tune.... ma' sistr n'here en' ma' wife youse to play it fer me on da bandjoe!

(and the rest of that joke goes... I looked over and there was only one person standing next to him) :wink:

[i]On 2002-10-07 12:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
A.) Jimmy Buffet is NOT Tiki
B.) Margharitas are NOT Tiki
C.) "Rock On" is not Tiki
I am glad you like to party, and that you like Tiki, but the Tiki Cult, while not being orthodox, requires a certain higher state of consciousness that that is hard to describe to the uninitiated. Study the scriptures and then report back, my son.

Now THAT was milk-nostril-spewing funny - BigBro reaching the breaking point. I too think my faux-bronzed leg is being pulled, as I can think of no other anti-tiki buzzword left un-used by our partyin', hard-rockin', fill-in-the-blankin' 'Bama brother. Not a one.

S

Man, this is hilarious!

Thanks for a great laugh Buffetiki! If this is not a joke, then it should be!

T

What's the matter with you people? Don't you like to PARTY HARTY?
I'm still laughing. Even my husband is laughing, and he doesn't even know the whole buffet debate...

(thats buff-IT, nit Buff-ay. A buff-ay debate is whther or not there is really cat in your spring roll.)

On 2002-10-07 14:50, Formikahini wrote:

Now THAT was milk-nostril-spewing funny - BigBro reaching the breaking point.

Now I would not exactly call that reaching my breaking point, that would look different.

I was not fully buying this, but considering the following:
In my life experience I have been repeatedly shocked to discover that often the most clicheed situations were actually the real ones, the ones you thought somebody HAD to have made up.
So if this would be the case here, I merely wanted to extend the courtesy to a lost soul to inform him of his erring, and sternly point the way, for he might find enlightenment.
We are all today so steeped in irony and sarcasm that we cannot recognize innocence, and we just laugh at ignorance.

Like I said: I must be a Hippie in Tiki's clothing.

Right on!
I cant stop laughing, this is killin me!!!
DUUUDE!!
Rock out with your c*ck out and PARTY HARTY!!!!!
WOOOHOOO!

Hey, there's one person who might know if this is for real or not......Hanford? I know you're watching.

J

I am outraged - this has got to be a joke... the only thing that would have made the post a little more far fetched was if he had said something like - There's nothing like kickin' back, crankin' up the NASCAR on the tube, firin' up a big fatty and rippin' through a case of Miller Lite - this has got to be a hoax, I hope...

:drink:

I dont know people. I know alot of folks that act like that down here. I do not associate with them. Let it be known "I DO NOT ASSOCIATE WITH THEM!" Oh and ROck on with yo badass self.

T

It just does not sound right to say,
Lounge on
or
Uke me baby

I know Bufey is not Tiki but I hear the parking lot is worth the trip to see hard core fans decor, they even bring sand!
But don't go inside, they will send you to the Deist thread, (another mindless following)

Sing to the Talley me bananna song

You put the Rum in the margy with chop up bananna
Day light come and the TIKI don't care.

So I can't spell
Lounge on my brothers and sisters

Are "fatties" considered to be Tiki or merely an extraneous part of the cult?

J

You people need to loosen up a little and quit being such tight-@sses about who can be a member of your little cult. Some of you are too damn worried that too many "uncool" people are going to get into tiki and you won't be able to feel superior to everybody anymore. I've quit reading this board on any regular basis because of the elitist undercurrent. The fact that everybody had such reactions to the original post in this thread, whether it was a joke or not, proves how discriminatory this group is.

Grow up and open up to others a little. You'd be surprised how much fun you're missing out on.

T

Yeah baxdog I think we can incorporate both phrases... like Lounge On Dude! and Uke Me? Uke You!

I'm sorry but I don't have a problem being alittle bit of an elitest here. I mean if you are going to "join" a "community" of like minds you should have a "like mind" If you don't? You don't exactly fit in. It seems pretty basic to me. You will never see me at a Jimmy Buffet concert or singing along with that Margaritaville,lost salt shaker crap. I have friends who go to his concerts everytime he comes around and do all that stuff they tell me how cool it is and how much fun they had, but don't go with them, 'cause I just don't get it... I guess I just don't belong to that "community".

H

True enough -- it's Tiki Central, not Buffett Central. Without somebody around to set some parameters, we could become a pretty big mish-mash and tiki would get lost in it.

On 2002-10-08 08:34, jukeboy56 wrote:
You people need to loosen up a little and quit being such tight-@sses about who can be a member of your little cult. Some of you are too damn worried that too many "uncool" people are going to get into tiki and you won't be able to feel superior to everybody anymore. I've quit reading this board on any regular basis because of the elitist undercurrent.

This is not a matter of being elitist and feelimg superior, a webclub is merely an interest group that gets together because they LIKE certain things, which automatically includes that they DISLIKE other things.

The dissappearence of Tiki culture was to a large part brought on by the watering down and confusion with other generic tropical themes, and we simply are stating our preferences, trying to stick to the origins.
To each his own bad taste, I say.

L
laney posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 10:16 AM

Come now people. Can't we be part of many communities?
I knew when I first read his post that buffetiki was going to get 40 lashes. But if some of us are hippies in Hawaiian shirts we should be more tolerant. I must complement Bigbro, he explained it politely yet firm.
I also don't want to rehash the Buffet debate (those were my first posts)but he never claims to be tiki or exotica. I go every year, his music reminds me of great vacations to Key West, New Orleans, Virgin Islands, Turks and Cacos, and even Paris, not Hawaii. And yes the parking lot is nuts! I've seen giant boats trailered out to party on and yes, tons of sand.
I have fun every year but many of you who have met me know that that is not what defines me. I look at our group as a bunch of creative, intelligent, multi-leveled people. Don't prove me wrong, let's not be to hard on the unenlightened-this is a teaching opportunity.
We alo have -beyond tiki- here on TIKI Central!
Party on and keep posting mad-tiki and buffetiki!

[ Edited by: laney on 2002-10-08 10:21 ]

T

Hey! Welcome back BigBro - we've missed your opinion on all the various "wars" that have gone on in your absence...
I'm still working on the mystery of where "Vali-hi" in Montrose came from.....

TK

Wait a minute.... Jimmy Buffet isn't Tiki? next your going to say that Totem poles and Voodoo dolls are not Tiki either...
As Dr. Smith would say, "oh the pain , the pain..."

L
laney posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 10:38 AM

Hey, I have plenty of voodoo dolls too! Don't make me use them!

S

I think the point is more like this. It's not that one can't enjoy Buffet and Tiki Culture, only that Tiki Culture is not Buffet. The original poster seemed to imply they thought that we were of the Parrot Head persuasion and they were set straight. I think we tolerate the Buffet fans, we just don't tolerate them screaming "Margaritaville!" in our tiki bars.

We have the right to define our little culture here. It isn't Buffet, though some of it's adherents enjoy that music.

I think if someone brought some sort of Rastafari post in here and made the same sort of "Great, a bunch of cool mahn's" we'd set them straight too. Though, maybe not as roughly. Buffet is a sore spot for many a tiki-phile.

I say "Rock on Buffetiki!" You have made me laugh and I hope to see some more of the 1980's terms used in your next posts. It reminds me of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High!" Damn those guys smoked some pot!

J
jtiki posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 1:17 PM

I like Tiki

I like Buffet

I like Shakespeare

I am reminded of those periodic circumstances when the more lofty folks on my Shakespeare list wish for a place where they won't have to discuss Mel Gibson as Hamlet or Decaprio as Romeo or -shudder- Jet Li in "Romeo must die".

I like Buffet more than Denny, is that so wrong?

I'm all for pouring a bottle a Lite into my Lelani mug, tossing a plastic lei over my Coconut telegraph t-shirt, putting a paper umbrella in my John Deere hat and ROCKIN-ON with Buffetiki.

You are all retarded, I'm going home...

Does Buffet reference Tikis in any of his music? Does he have a Tiki on any of his Album covers? or shirts? or whatever?

M

There is nothing wrong with having a variety of interests. Just because you like Jimmy Buffet, the Grateful Dead, purple cow milk pitchers, or whatever and maybe have something from those bands decorating your Tiki Bar and you use your purple cow pitcher to make cocktails doesn't mean that those items (or bands) are Tiki. Just because some of us hate the Dead's music, Jimmy Buffet's music and purple cow milk pitchers doesn't mean that we hate you. But, please, don't get angry or defensive if we don't want a ton of Jimmy Buffet album covers adorning every new Tiki bar so that the concept of Tiki Bars becomes so diluted that it becomes like the new Tiki Bobs chain which is ,from my understanding, so lacking in Tiki-ness that there may not be any tikis there at all.

J

On 2002-10-08 14:53, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Does Buffet reference Tikis in any of his music? Does he have a Tiki on any of his Album covers? or shirts? or whatever?

Here's a couple of his shirt designs:

T

Oh no! My purple cow pitcher is slinking sadly away, dribbling milky tears...but he wuvs you anyway, Mr Smiley! In fact, he's probably hiding in your house somewhere even as we speak, plotting how best to win your friendship.

I still think the original post may've been a well-aimed joke, but in any case, I thank you all with great affection for making me crack up several times in the last few minutes!! I needed that. It's been a rough day.

I do think it's a good point that this is a community based on certain ideas, tastes and principles about what is and isn't "TIKI"; clearly those TikiCentralites who ardently dislike ol' Jimmy B. have actually heard his music and know whereof they speak. Encouraging them to be "open-minded" about him is missing the point. Indeed, if I wish to join or even FOUND a Jimmy Buffet club, I may do so, and so may any of you!

One small suggestion: if one doesn't actually respond to dubious or inappropriate posts, their authors may then lose interest and retreat in peace to the salty, parrot-infested depths of Margaritaville. Or wherever.

Of course, that mightn't be quite as much fun...

Tikivixen, aka Lisa

p.s. Special thanks to TikiKing for referencing one of my heroes, Dr. Zachary Smith. I just knew there had to be a Tiki/Lost In Space overlap somewhere!

p.p.s. What do Chris Isaak and Jimmy Buffet(t? would a real fan misspell his name?) have in common? Well, they both wore Hawaiian shirts before they were "cool" or "retro." Now, is Chris tiki? I say, quite so...the surfing thing is more than balanced out by his love of film noir. However, I hear he is a teetotaller, so...hmmm. Great taste in shirts, though.

mmmm...I'd take Chris Isaac even if he liked Jimmy Buffet.

Does his rolling around on the beach (in a video) with a scantily-clad wahine (Helena Christianson) make him sort of an island paradise kinda guy? He at least exhibits the the tiki spirit, tee-totaler or no!

HH

here's my 2cents:

A close friend of mine is a huge Buffet fan, she is also into tiki bars, Not particularly (sp) tiki's but bars cuz it fit there style. This is our comman thread, she has evan tried to convert me to the buffet thing, but I cant sit thru the entire CD.Yet she has made copys of all my reggae/jawaiian and lounge music. The point is I respect her intrestes and she is activly absorbing mine,before long she may be a full fledge tikiphile,but if Id snub her from the start there would have been one less tiki fan out there.There seem to be a few sub-groups in tikidom:

1)the hipsters-
generally into the retro lounge sceen/vintage styles etc..
2)old school-
there were there in the hayday
3)rootsman-
into everything polynesian-tiki came into the picture eventually
4)kustom kulture-
these are general greasers were tiki art evoled from the art
5)general fan
just like tikis for what they are
6)tiki bar/buffet
the tiki bar just flow into there style

Im sure theere are more and some overlap each other. Anways the Name of this place is TIki central, not exotica only or carvers only,we ned to embrace all.

BTW i belive buffet tiki is a prankster.

Chris Isaak is definately the closest you can get to tiki, and it goes way beyond him wearing hawiian shirts. His music is very 50's/ 60's surf inspired, laden with tropical haunting melodies. It can be very exotic. Plus he's an old school style longboarder.

Look what you all dragged me into...

T

No one here is "bullying" the parrot heads (he he) that I've noticed - just pointing out that it doesn't really belong in this forum.

Now, if we all crashed some Buffet forum and started telling them to "crank up the Yma Sumac and Party Harty", I could see there being a reason for resentment.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies