Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

DUDES! this RocKs!

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 9:43 PM

I didn't see buffetiki ever defend his own "pro-Buffet"-ness, or ever ask for anyone else to defend him. Fer chrissakes, how busybody can you get - worrying about protecting people from wounds they might suffer from reading a bbs, when you don't even know they feel wounded? And then go the next step and tell the whole TC list that we should change our tastes accordingly to be more open-minded to anything that comes along. But criminetalies, what a waste of time it'd be to take this seriously! Discriminating taste is a GOOD thing (and it's not equivalent to elitism)!

In mAdTiki's case on that other thread, if I understood right, he was defending people who NEVER post, because he imagines that lots of them might feel hurt or intimidated by the opinions expressed here. He even explicitly defended people who not only never post, but also have never even visited TC and thus don't even know they're being wounded by these stinging TC criticisms. If only these poor souls knew they were being hurt, then madtiki might really have a cause to fight for! But wait, he said he was especially concerned for the ones who DON'T know. Sounds like a crusader in search of a cause. Or maybe by pretending to defend silent sufferers he thinks his own attacks sound more justified.

My advice - try just speaking for yourself, and try having a thicker skin. Compliments to Tikifish for doing both.
-Randy

On 2002-10-08 19:54, tikifish wrote:
"Crank up the Yma Sumac and Party Harty"

Tikifish, you made me spew a beverage...HILARIOUS! And it's also an excellent quote for a bumper sticker!! :)

Geeez, kids, with all the beverage spewing and milk blowing thru nostrils that is going on here I wonder how your computer keyboards and screens are looking.

M

BigBro- I was just going to say that!

Another Buffet tiki-reference was on his latest album, where there is a song that opens with bird calls and he mentions the Tonga Room in SF. As the song fades out, he says, "Thank you, Martin Denny..."

For what, I have no idea.

I can't remember the name of the song, but it's pretty terrible.

-martin

Thank you jukeboy56!

YAAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
(with the beautiful accompaniment of a Pabst bottle breaking alongside 32!)

TT

Five Summer Stories soundtrack iz a thing of tiki, I think.... As I listen... So I am.
Cecelio & Kapono, no?

T
Thor posted on Wed, Oct 30, 2002 1:15 AM

On 2002-10-08 21:43, aquarj wrote:
But criminetalies, what a waste of time it'd be to take this seriously! Discriminating taste is a GOOD thing (and it's not equivalent to elitism)!

...In mAdTiki's case on that other thread, if I understood right, he was defending people who NEVER post, because he imagines that lots of them might feel hurt or intimidated by the opinions expressed here....

My advice - try just speaking for yourself, and try having a thicker skin. Compliments to Tikifish for doing both.
-Randy

In my infrequent checking of Tiki Central, it seems I have discovered this thread past its prime.

I would only like to say that some Tiki fans play the banjo and might be offended by derogatory (and incorrectly transcribed) references to our music.

Now I drink.

Thor,

Actually, the banjo was used in hapa haole music in the teens, 20's and 30's. So it just might fit in nicely!

T
Thor posted on Wed, Oct 30, 2002 11:03 AM

really? Could you provide some hapa haole names that I could check out?

Intrigued,
Thor

Pages: 1 2 57 replies