Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sven Kirsten at the Mai Kai

Pages: 1 5 replies

J

Hello my fellow tiki worshipers. I stopped by the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale today to pick up a few odds and ends (my wife and I are in the midst of decorating a "Tiki Hideaway" nursery for our soon-to-be-arriving first born) and Sven Kirsten just happened to be there taking pictures and signing copies of BOT and the Sven Tiki Mug. I got to meet Sven and he was nice enough to sign a copy of his book and mug for me with a personalized note. Very cool. The lady who works in the gift shop said that this was Sven's first visit to the Mai Kai. Anyway, just thought I would share my Sven sighting with you all.

D

Frig. The last time I was there I bought a Sven-Tiki mug. I always miss out on the tiki-riffic nights at the Mai Kai. Wait...all the nights that I've been there have been tiki -riffic, but you know what I'm talkin about....

M

What?!? Sven secretly slips into the Mai-Kai? This sounds like he is a real dirty stinker! (oh, wrong place) :)

J

"I always miss out on the tiki-riffic nights at the Mai Kai."

Hi donhonyc,

Actually, the Mai Kai wasn't even open yet. I got off work early and was in the area, so I stopped in about 3:30. (They don't open on weekdays until about 5:30). Eventhough the restauant was closed, they let me in to browse the gift shop. He was the only other person there (other than the employees).

Do you live in the Lauderdale area?

D

Joefla-

I grew up in near Ft. Lauderdale, but moved away years ago. I stll have family there and I visit a couple of times a year, so whenever I do I go to the Mai Kai.

He had to make sure all the hurricanes were gone! Ha! (just joking)

Pages: 1 5 replies