Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Help: Old Chisels for Young Kids in Cook Islands

Pages: 1 33 replies

M

Hey. Here is a fine little social project we are working on. During our travels for the >DVD of TIKI< we became friends with a wonderful and warm hearted man in Rarotonga, Cook Islands. His name is Henry Tavioni.

Like is brother Mike Tavioni (who is mentioned in the book "Night of the Tiki"), he is an extremly gifted artist.

Henry wants to start a workshop with young kids on the island to teach them the old traditions and the craftmanship of carving tikis. In our times young kids often are interested in many other things than old "boring" traditions. So we have to start early to pass on the power and magic of the island heritage, Henry is the man. He will make it exciting.

Old Chisels for Young Kids in Rarotonga:

We are trying to collect a big bunch of old chisels that Henry can get in shape again so that he can teach the kids. Who of you guys has an old chisel laying around that he could spare? Please help to ensure that new tikis get born.

Please post or write me if you are interested. We will find an address in California to collect them and send them as one package to the Cook Islands.

Mucho Mahalo, Mogambo.

This is wonderful!

Are there specific types/styles of chisels that are prefered? Do they have to be old? How about a set of Off-the-shelf flat chisels?

-FB

Fantastic idea Mogambo!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled, good luck with it!

As soo as Jochen gives the word, I amd going to help out with this too. Awesome project!!!

Ive got some to donate

Harbor Frieght sells a pack of them for a couple of bucks. If everybody pitched in with 2 packs that would be a shit load of chizzles fo da shizzles!

I'm in for 2 packs.

(I know they're not the best but they are better than nothing)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3816

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2005-01-22 08:34 ]

T

I've got my beginner set here, that I'd love to pass on to a baby carver in Polynesia! Gnarly!

M

Wow, what a great start. This looks like a promising and rewarding project. Thank you all for your support.

All types of carving chisels are welcome. Of course also new ones, FreakBear. Henry is just a very humble person and said: Yeah, just some old ones and i will fix them up again. But I am sure he doesn't mind new chisels :). Danny (thechikitiki) will collect all chisels in Amerika and we in Europe. You guys in the States just send or give what you can spare to Danny.

He will mail them to Rarotonga. Hey Danny, how shall we do that? Do you want to post a mailing address here?

BambooBen is thinking in grand scale. Cool. And I love the idea that a young boy or girl somewhere in the South Sea on a little island is carving with Tiki Tony's first chisels. What comes around, goes around. Everything goes in circles. The Poly Pop crowd helps out to let the traditional roots grow back on the islands. Funny, like a huge tiki by Oceanic Arts in Tahiti at the Hotel Taharaa.

I am trying to gather chisel through Ebay Germany. Maybe someone can check out if Ebay in the States has some bargains.

Mucho Mahalo.

T

Great Idea Magombo,
I bought some chisels from http://www.grizzly.com. They specialize in wood working tools. Their catalog has several gouge and chisel sets at various prices. We could send gift orders. However it would probably be faster and easiler to just send the chisels direct to the Cook Islands.
Tikiboy

If you want to send them here's the info.
Daniel Gallardo
12207 grevillea ave.
Hawthorne, Ca. 90250
If y'all are local, then we can do something else.

T

Chisels are on their way via Grizzly.
Tikiboy

M

That's is really great. Thank you TikiBoy. I just bought serveral chisels at Ebay. Rounded and curved ones for hollowing out stuff. This will be nice. In some month I hope to publish some nice pictures from the Kids in Rarotonga here at TC.

M

Here is a link to a promo page we made for the chisels project. I am sending it to a German chisels manufacturer. Maybe they get excited to see their product at the other side of the world. Some of you might know the company with the two cherries (Zwei Kirschen). The version I am linking here is in English. Maybe you have use of this little tool to get more people excited. Mahalo.

http://www.armchair-travelling.com/OldChisels.html

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2005-01-25 07:35 ]

N

Is it too late to chip in? I would love to donate money or order some to be included in the shipment.

M

We just started. Let's say we collect until…(this date was changed to an earlier time). Our new deadline for the arrival of chisels is the 14th of February in Danny's House.

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2005-01-30 01:34 ]

If you can get two cherries chisels those will be far superior to these but if the Harbor Freight route is a viable one here is a link to their website. This set is $9 and we could have them ship direct to the Chiki Tikis address for a consolidated shipment the islands

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3816

N

Thanks, I will get some shipped to the Chiki Tiki address. I will also add a few bucks for postage. If you get a lot of chissels, you might want to think about postage donations. Could add up...

M

Thanks. That is really nice. But dont worry about postage. That's on me. :)

Ok this is great. I got the first set og chisels my nizzles from the pizzles. Well actually they are from Paul Gardner.

I will send a couple...Beautiful idea.

M

We received an email from Henry (Rarotonga, Cook Islands) today that I would like to quote:

*…I can't express my gratitude enough......thank you. My son opened his mail yesterday and noticed your appeal for second hand chiseles and the response from people (tiki fans).....so awesome!!!! I am deeply touched with the generousity of some people. I feel if everyone assists in this dream for the children it will open up a brighter future for them and will keep our culture alive. I'm planning on starting classes in March, starting with form 2's - Grade 8. Will write again soon.

Aroanui

Henry and Family*

It would be great to equip Henry with chisels in time for his class, so should drop the deadline to an earlier date. Let's say the chisels old or new have to arrive at Danny's House on the 14th of February latest. I will change the date in the earlier post also. Mahalo.

T

Thechikitiki et al,
Glad the chisels arrived OK from Grizzly. Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of weeks.
Paul Gardner is me....tikiboy

Got two sets of chisels so far and the King bought some as well. Tiki Tone has some for me too. Any carvers want to sent over some inexpenive chisels? I'll ship them when all are sent.

Don't send 'em yet! I just saw this post and ordered a few sets of chisels from harbour frieght. They're being mailed to you Danny. Hopefully they'll get there soon.

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-02-21 20:27 ]

M

Hey guys, thats great. Keep on going. I just returned from a crazy 5 day trip to LA. Now I am back in MUnich. Had a great time with King, Danny, Sven and the SoCal Ohana. Shoot a great Interview with Monsieur LeShag. Danny is taking good care of our chisel project. Hurry up though. The chisels are needed in March. Thanks you all for your support.

Ill send mine today.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:22 ]

I shipped the chisels we gathered up to the kids. Are we doing a second round of this?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:22 ]

Danny, If we do I'm in...I didn't see this before. I have about 20 serviceable spares that will go and an extra spoke shave.

Dammit! Flea market season is over. I could always find $1 chisels around here. I can still scare up one or two if we're doing this.

I'd be willing to send some more too. I don't know if you're the one in charge danny, but If you need help making it happen let me know.

V

Hey Danny, I'm all in, i've got some to give.

I have no chisels and know nothing about them, so how can I donate some mula to the cause? I can send a check or PayPal to someone to send some chisels on my behalf. Please PM me the info on how I can do this. :)

Pages: 1 33 replies