Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Baxdog's Tiki Extravaganza!

Pages: 1 33 replies

T

Hey all Tiki Centralites,

Baxdog, Al & Shelly, Floratina, Madam Bong, and the Bongster got together this weekend just to put some finishing touches on what is expected to the a very cool TIKI EXTRAVAGANZA!

October 19th is the date. Baxdog will post directions later as I was under Mai Tai's spell and Madam Bong had to drive to and fro.

Baxdog has a very cool pad and backyard area. There will be a main bar inside and an outdoor bar staffed by yours truly.

We are also thinking about taking a 'Sideshow Tiki Bob' tour over to some very tikified apartments in Santa Ana (do you know what 'Santa Ana' means in Spanish? It means - Santa Ana! (get it, I said in Spanish - Anyway)).

Start posting your reply so Bax can get a handle on the logistics. Right now he's planning 1/2 gallon of rum per guest (barf bags are FREE!)

Bax, let me know if you need help with anything. I'd be happy to help.

**Poly-Pop ***

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-04 20:53 ]

S

Hey Bax and Bong!

Tina and I would love to come by but it depends on the time. I come in from the East on the 19th so if you guys go into the evening, I'll be there.

May have to miss the Tiki Sideshow Bob, though.

"So let the sideshow begin.
Hurry, hurry, step right on in."

Aloha,

Arty

Ok my peeps, I'll be there . Email me if you guys need anything.

A

Bax and Kukuinut have gone through meticulous planning. For what will no doubt be a rager.

Part of the plan was to buy $500.00 in booze.
It is a very good plan.
Mahalo,
Al

M

Everclear will definitely stretch the booze budget. However, the savings can transfer quickly to the bailbondsman. At least this is the foggy recollection I have of certain collegiate punches. Anyway, sure sounds like fun and I look forward to photo postings for a record of the mayhem.

F

The party is to start around 6:00-ish, am I right Bax?

You guys suck! All those bottles look so swell! My quit date for both cigs and drink is on Oct. 18th! I have the "patch" looking at me with that date written on it in BIG BLACK INK ! So, am I going to quit or is Baxdog's, Tina, TikiBong, etc. going to keep me from my quit date? I'm withdrawling allready! I'll have to quit tiki central for a while too and start hangin at Starbucks! God damn cigs!!

bamboo Ben,

Good luck and be strong and you will do it. Maybe you should still go to Baxdog's gig, he quit drinking 9 years ago (I think).

We wouldn't want to lose a brother to cigs or booze.

During a moment of weakness, think about your son for inspiration.

A thing of tiki is a joy forever

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-10-12 20:50 ]

I'll drink to that!!

I have an idea. I'll send my brother. He can fill in for me while I'm on my " get rid of my Nicotine Addiction vacation" from everything but work. He's cool and has a cool tiki/retro pad in Mission Viejo. I'm sure he'll fit right in being he bartended for 15 years. Maybe he'll balance a rock or 2 for you's and blow your minds! It's a trip!

Maybe Ben-smokin"N"drinkin,
You should come over anyway and we can play Schick center, we'll empty the pool put you in the bottom and pour cigs and rum on you till you hurl. That way you can come to the party and we could all have fun.

I tried that at the Bash but it didn't work!
Hold on a minute,I got to find a lighter. O.k., I'm good now. Too bad Shag (or anyone else) hasn't done art on the nicotine Patch! That would be cool!!!! (i can be the lab rat! public service, you know.)
Well, if we don't show, you's all have a Real Good Time! I'm sure you's will! How many Tiki Peeps are going?

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-10-14 08:02 ]

Had a great time at Baxdog's Party last night. Baxdog & Kukuinut were gracious hosts. As usual, Al was mixing mouth-watering concotions to perfection while Tiki Centralites enjoyed the music of Weird Uncle Tiki on Uke.

Tiki Bong, Madam Bong, Al and Wes (of House of Tiki) enjoying Al's mixology.

Olivia (sugarcaddydaddy's daughter) and Christian (polynesianpop's son) having fun.

Weird Uncle Tiki & Tiki Bong on the Uke!

Weird Uncle Tiki serenades the kids!

A big "thank you" goes out to Bax and Sara for opening their home and hosting a fabulous gathering. We had a great time!

Great party, Baxter! You certainly have the coolest pool in the world!
Al, sublime drinks as usual.
Thanks all for an awesome night....

... am searching for tiki cello music.

Those are great pictures, Adrian! Hey Bill (Thor) and Rick (undecipherable screen name) I await yours...er...maybe you were using the same camera...

A big sloppy-ass wet-kiss mondo-maholo to Baxdog & Kukuinut! What a freaking fantastic night!.

A good time was had by all (except for the poor unsuspecting vase that Sabu took out while trying, get this, stay vertical on a roller board after a number of Dr. Al's liquid prescriptions).

Speaking of which, Al - those drinks! I sure hope no one ended up getting a condo in Totally-Fucked-Upville last night courtesy Tustin PD.

Chiki brah, thanks for the Cuban --- opps, I realy meant to say, er ... Ah,,, Costa Rican cigar! I guess rum would have to go with a fine cigar.

Sociological Side Note: After last night's drunken polynesian revelry combined with this morning's post-chemotherepy-like headache, I think I'm beginning to understand why the ancient civilization on Easter Island ceased to exist (ha, ha).

Until next time - aloha oukau

Aloha Baxter and Sarah. Thankyou for opening up your home and making all of us feel so welcome. I think that green wall is out of this world. When you are in the room, you feel like you are inside a Shag painting. I had a wonderful time hanging out with the TC family. Bong, what's up, how's the better half. Al mixes up a great mojito-lite, thankyou. I will bug you the next time I'm in Oceanside. You guys should have seen these guys on that death board.SABOOBOO!Ben where are you?

Thanks again from me & the mrs. for a great time! Really cool house...

Boy, oh boy! Was that fun! Just what I needed after six weeks in the land of vines. Thanks for the cool nuttiness of a classic fete.

-Weird Unc

Yes, the Bax's Tiki empire was quite impressive, his headhunter wall displayed the neccessary obsession that qualifies one to be a member of the Tiki tribe.
The torches that flickered through the fog over the pool, Al's mixology, the food, the friends, all added up to an enchanted evening.
Let's do one in pool weather next time!

T
Thor posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2002 7:37 AM

Hey. I had a wonderful time at the party! Thanks for welcoming me everyone and 7 more thanks to Baxter and Sarah for hosting at their fabulous pad. I don't know how to attach photos yet, so let's see if this works...

T
Thor posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2002 7:51 AM

OOPS!

:music:

Let's try that again.

Hmm... What to drink?

Hey Mr. Bong, that thing you showed us sure was funny!

Esquivel sure is swell, mate.

Mmm, curacao...

For future reference, fog machines are particularly effective in disorienting graduate students.

Don't look at the napkin on the table.

Giants 4, Angels 3, Pottery -1

Thanks for the good times, everyone.

[ Edited by: Thor on 2002-10-22 11:29 ]

Thor,

Help, I've fallen and cannot open your pictures!

Read Al's post on posting, and please repost 'em.

T
Thor posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2002 9:57 AM

Better?

M

Still no go on the photos thor.

S

Bax and Sarah,

Thanks again for a magical night! Tina and I had a blast! Your Hut rules! And I highly covet your Tiki Bar (Tiki Bar envy?!?).

It was great seeing everyone again and sampling Al's fabulous concoctions!

Looking forward to the next Tiki Central gig.

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Damn! Looks like I missed a great time... I was all set to go, too! Curse my needy family!!!

:tiki:

I was trying to think about how I could convey the exquisiteness of Baxdog’s party, but words absolutely fail me. Therefore, I’ve got my copy of "The Joy of Polynesian Cooking" open to help me find me some good euphemisms.

First of all, props to Baxdog and Kukuinut. Their party was pure Five Spice Pork Moco Moco and their décor is sweeter than Kona Rum Bananas Wahoo Wahoo.

For those who missed the party, don’t feel too bad. Sure, you missed the giant 7-foot tiki with glowing red eyes that welcomed you in to the front door, but I heard that there’s another one existing in a private collection in Norway, so if you’re lucky you just might see it there. And don’t feel bad that you weren’t there to toss back Al’s fruity, rum concoctions while Weirduncletiki of the Mai Kai Gents led us in Hawaiian sing-alongs by the pool with his ukelele, illuminated by guttering torches and wreathed in mist that issued from several fog machines hidden among the surrounding jungle foliage, from which tikis of all sizes and shapes peered at us with enigmatic, yet tolerant gazes. Sure, some people might say that you've got Haupia for brains for missing that. Not me, though.

And sure, Bax has got two functioning tiki bars - one in the lounge and a palm-thatched one out by the pool. But doesn’t everybody? I mean, you probably wouldn't be impressed if I told you about all the Tiki-Culture luminaries I got to chat with during the evening - authors, exotica musicians, artists, carvers, traders, mixologists. The amount of talent in that room was prodigious. I mean if the guests from just that party were all dropped together on some desert island as part of a government experiment, I'm sure in two weeks they would all be dead of dehydration. But that's not the point. The point is our government might just try to pull some crazy stunt like that, so we should try to keep this much tiki talent from ever getting together in one place ever again.

All my usual friends were there, plus some new people I had the pleasure of finally meeting, like Stentiki and Tina, Weirduncletiki and Thor. We all had nametags with our Tiki-Central names and our real names, so that we could recognize each other. There were also a couple of new people who's Tiki Central names I didn’t recognize. (PS: Bambi, Trixie, and Miss June 1999 - give me a call. You left your Ke Kini Pipi Pipi Kinis in my car, tied to my Opakapaka. I’m sure your Mahi Mahis must be freezing without them)

And yes, the green, silk-covered walls in the lounge did make us feel as though we were all figures in some lifesize SHAG painting. Especially the type of SHAG painting where a drunken Coconut Boy on a roller-board destroys all the furniture. That's the type of SHAG painting it most resembled.

That was mostly Baxdog’s fault. If he hadn't made surfing on that contraption look so easy then I wouldn't have been tempted to try it while under the influence of two glasses of Al's Chief Lapu-Lapu (real name - didn’t use the cookbook). Unfortunately, the roller board kinda got away from me, in much the same manner that the oil spill got away from the Exxon Valdeez. Soon Sabu the Coconut boy was hurtling about the room like a circus-monkey on crack and ...crash! There went the planter, while I landed right on my Prawns Krakatoa. Crazy Al was ecstatic; "Hey, someone finally broke something! Now we can call this a party!"

Luckilly it was only Kukuinut’s "Black Bauer Swirl Flower Pot, #12", so she was very forgiving. In fact, in two more months I won't have to wash dishes at their house anymore.

Baxdog's amazing décor was enhanced by the costumes of the guests, I must say. I especially liked Tiki Bong's stylish Lava Lava, which allowed plenty of ventilation to his Lomi Lomi Salmon. I have to say that I was quite jealous, as my Sweet & Sour Meatballs Bali Bali were feeling the pinch while I was dancing to Esquivel.

Then there was the food! A Polynesian/Chinese feast! There was so much food left over that at 1:00am, as we were helping Kukuinut clean up the dishes, and just after she put all the remaining food into giant freezer-bags, we all suddenly got hungry again and had to re-open those ziplock bags and spoon it out onto heaping plates which we put in the microwave. Then we all sat about the kitchen and ate and talked. Bax and his wife definitely made me feel like family. At two a.m. I finally left, but only after helping myself to a couple of those Tiki Farm mugs that Holden had provided for us. There was actually a small surplus at the end of the night.

Like I said, if you didn’t make it, you didn’t miss much.

Sabu The Waikiki Pan-Fried Coconut Duck Boy

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2002-10-22 17:35 ]

Sabu,

You are quite gifted with literary genius. (And yes, I do like my salmon lomi lomi'd)

Sabu, you covered it all: the tall tikis, the food, and the fog that belched out now and then, obscuring all but the light from the twinkles in the trees and the numerous torches that blazed. Guests stood and sighed at the perfect expression of tikiness before them.

That yard was so beautiful, I couldn't tear myself away...not until the next day, in fact. We did not consume green corn cakes for breakfast as planned. The yummy foodstuffs procured for the party called out from the fridge so we ate some more of them.

Kukui and Bax worked very hard to bring this all to fruition, decorating and cooking away. Thank you so much for showing us such a good time. Do it again, do it again!

We were also fortunate to partake in Big Al's drinkmaking magic. Al, you and Velour should have Mixologist Emeritus status bestowed upon you!

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U

Everyone who helped out
Moral support
Drinks
Cleanup
Decorations
Reviews
Slaps on the back
All of my (old) friends and some of the new friends a thank you.
I want you to tell everybody that did not make it, so the next time we are crazy enough to do this it will be a total blowout.
And now to Bong,
Bongs work station was taken over by machines, the dock workers could not even help him, and he still made $140,000
And then he tried to put me on the spot with a funny song, and that was ended with a machine also. The laser sight on his chest might have helped out.
NO, I love ya Bongo
And thanks again my good friends ! ! !

Alohas,

A few more pics from the Baxdog's gig.

I must admit, I'm feelin' kinda lame since these pics are pretty late and don't know how to post the "cool way" (a little help, Al!) but I think I got some good pics just the same. Check out the ones with Big Al, Bartender, extraordinaire!

Here you go -

N-JOY!

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/stentiki/lst?.dir=/Baxdog+Party+Photos&.view=t

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

• Thor Heyerdahl

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-10-31 23:17 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-10-31 23:20 ]

T

Well - no one took any pix of me, but my wife got in there! Probably for the best....

Pages: 1 33 replies