Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Looking for TIKI fonts

Pages: 1 9 replies

Aloha!

I am searching for TIKI fonts/cliparts/dingbats to design some great shirts ... can anyone help me with this ? I've got many fonts to trade ... thanks and best regards from germany! :)

Charlie

HT

acidfonts.com
and
fontdiner.com

there's a bunch of them on there.
Castaway is the first one that comes to mind. Are you looking for Mac or PC. If you're looking for PC, i've got 3,700 fonts on my system. Let me know what style you want, and I can get them to you. Like, if you can find a picture of a product online that has the same font.

Oh dear lordy no...

Try http://houseindustries.com

-Z

Yah, but you have to pay for house industries. And I don't think they're royalty free either. Actually, I know you have to license them depending on usage. Are oyu looking for full on Tiki? Loungy? Something that looks like it came from a specific Tiki Bar?

@ Feelin'Zombified :

oh, I know this page ... I just think it's a bit too expensive for me :(

@ Hale Tiki :

I will write you via e-mail now :)

House has my vote for true tiki fonts...

Fonts should not be free. As a designer I know the countless hours of work that go into designing a font not to mention research. Every dollar House charges for fonts is worth it.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-01-24 12:46 ]

HT

Undoubtedly, I am a graphic designer myself, and have put a lot of time into designing fonts. And House certainly deserves every penny they get. I am on their mailing list, and had to buy a font set from them a few years ago for a brochure I was doing. However, some poeple create fonts specifically to be free. None of the fonts on acidfonts.com, or any that I have are stolen, distributed, or copyrighted. Every font I have is a free font designed specifically to be distrubed. Fontdiner.com offers free fonts as well, and I think its a fantastic idea for a company to do so. Thanks to their free distribution service, their font (fontdinerdotcom sparkly and loungy) has been used on more products and TV commercials in the last 2 years than almost any other single font I can think of in the last 10 years. And I'm sure they have benefitted quite a lot from it being used. A few examples are the Swanky Girl line of beauty products, among the dozens and dozens of beauty products that use that font. I've seen packaging, book covers, everything, even the title and credits to the show on some network that was recently cancelled. The son's a nerd, the daughter is a redhead, the parents are nuts, I don't know. Anyway, point is, fonts that are meant to be paid for, should be paid for, but fonts that are designed to be free, well, who are we to argue with the creators.

J

I wholeheartedly agree that fonts should not be free and that the font designers who spend their time and energy to designing them should be paid for their work.

I therefore have a question for the font designers. I often see fonts online which I wonder if they were actually "designed" by the person who put the font into a computer format. For example, I went to the House Industries website to check out their fonts and saw that in the "ED BENGUIAT FONT COLLECTION" there is a font called "ED INTERLOCK." This font looks just like the font used on the Enchanted Tiki Room sigh at Disney:

I did a little bit of background research online and saw that Mr. Benguiat designed fonts back int he 1920s. I therefore assume that Ed Benguiat was the person who originally designed the font that was used in the sign. And I assume that House Industries subsequently acquired the right to use the font (or that enough time had passed that the font was in the public domain).

My question then is, wouldn't the person who actually designed the font style (even if it was before the advent of computers) be the font creater.... not just the person who made it into a computer font? Because I see a lot of fonts online that look like they were taken from all aspects of life (movie poster, advertisment, etc.) and I wonder if the person who put that font into a computer format is unduly taking credit for designing the font, when really all they did was digitize it? Do the people who put the fonts into the digital (computer) format get the permission/rights from the person who created the font artwork to make the computer font? Does the original artist get a royalty? How does that work?

HT

In response, again, I'd like to point out, what about fonts that are designed to be free, such as fontdiner.com fonts?

Fonts that are specifically designed by the "original creator" to be freely distributed, such as the fontdinerdotcom sparkly. I'm sure fontdiner.com didn't copy that font from anywhere. I can't be 100% positive, but before their website started, I cannot recall ever seeing it anywhere. I've looked through all my records (around 1000) and haven't seen it either, not even in any exotica, or big band. Also, what about fonts that are distributed with new computers, that we take for granted, such as Times, or COurier, or Helvetica. Fonts that have been around for who knows how long. Should they be free, or should the exist in the public domain, like "free" fonts do? As far as the ED BENGUIAT fonts go, I'm sure the enchanted tiki room borrowed from him, seeing as he was alive long before Disney existed. And, I'm sure, as with the Ed Roth font package, that House Industries is working with relatives, or the estate of ED BENGUIAT to produce the product, as it is a commercially available item designed specifically for the font market? I'm sure that if they did not have permission, a large lawsuit would ensue. I know that Ed Roth was integral into designing the fonts. In fact, they were released officially in 1996. Not the house industries package, but the font itself. I'm not sure when the House Industries Package was released, but I know they've had it for quite some time.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2005-01-24 15:47 ]

TM

There are some realy cool fonts at http://www.myfonts.com/. Type "tiki" in the search at the top of the page...

Pages: 1 9 replies