Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: My first mai tai

Pages: 1 11 replies

Okay, I'm making my first mai tais this weekend. I don't have the Martinique rum from the Grog log. What can I substitute?
Please be kind to the newbie.

I'm a fan of Mt. Gay, Appeltons or Cruzan. All three are easily available and can usually be found on special at BevMo or Trader Joes.
Good luck and don't forget the garnish!!
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2005-01-26 10:54 ]

M

Shop at BevMo!

I'm rapidly becoming a huge Cruzan fan. I like to use the Cruzan Black Strap and Bacardi 8 in my mai tais. And if I'm feeling a little goofy, I will add a half ounce of Parrot Bay Mango. But I say use Cruzan. It tastes great and costs less than a lot of other rums.

Do I use just one type of Rum? In the Grog Log he uses 2.

HT

Use a dark jamaican, and a martinique. Vic used to use Coruba, and I agree. I use Coruba as my Jamaican Rum in every drink that requires it. I've substitued with Cruzan and Mount Gay. If you look, you can find a Cruzan 1.75 for $15, which is WELL worth the price.

Made my mai tais last night and used Cruzan and Bacardi light. Came out okay but blue(?) from the curacao. As posted elsewhere I'm looking to change this. Also I made Planet of the Apes which people seem to love._

On 2005-01-30 14:35, aikiman44 wrote:
Made my mai tais last night and used Cruzan and Bacardi light. Came out okay but blue(?) from the curacao. As posted elsewhere I'm looking to change this. Also I made Planet of the Apes which people seem to love._

was it "blue" curacao, by any chance? you should be using orange

On 2009-03-22 05:33, arobinson19 wrote:

Don't fall into that trap..... Curacao is naturally clear, maybe a slight amber color depending on actual production methods/styles. It is then dyed to the particular color, most commonly blue, or at least since the 80's the most common color is blue.

The color does not change the flavor! And if you don't believe me, do a blind taste test yourself.

You only 'think' the Blue tastes different because of what it does to your drink visually.... try the same drink with Red Curacao, or Green, and see what you think.

Appleton V/X & Gosling's Black Seal (can't find Coruba) for me.
I used to use the Myers's... but since trying the Gosling's, I don't think I'll ever go back.

On 2009-03-22 09:51, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2009-03-22 05:33, arobinson19 wrote:

Don't fall into that trap..... Curacao is naturally clear, maybe a slight amber color depending on actual production methods/styles. It is then dyed to the particular color, most commonly blue, or at least since the 80's the most common color is blue.

The color does not change the flavor! And if you don't believe me, do a blind taste test yourself.

You only 'think' the Blue tastes different because of what it does to your drink visually.... try the same drink with Red Curacao, or Green, and see what you think.

i was just trying to solve the color issue. i personally dont see much of a difference in taste. i read somewhere there was a small difference. but never bothered to check. i use dekyuper orange curacao it works fine. its good in margaritas also.good sub for triple sec in most recipes

On 2005-01-27 17:03, aikiman44 wrote:
Do I use just one type of Rum? In the Grog Log he uses 2.

i usually use a dark and a light rum or a amber and a light. right now im using mount gay, and another"top shelf' white rum i care not to disclose. (i ran out of money)
however , at the trader vics recipe they just use 2 oz of myers rum so its all up to how you want it to taste

Pages: 1 11 replies