Would You Fugu?

Pages: 1 27 replies

B

Yay or Nay?
I would without any hesitation.

I'd Fugu like a Mofo

H
Helz posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 2:30 PM

Would. Have. Don't know if I'd do it again. It's not the Death thing, just that I didn't like the taste and the numb lips.

D

No,I have enough dangerous habits without adding raw,potentially lethal seafood to the mix.

B

Done it - statistically, greater risk of getting offed by the meat you buy at the local supermarket than by the fugu.

from emedicine.com

Pufferfish poisoning

Tetrodotoxin (TTX) causes pufferfish (Tetrodon) poisoning, also known as blowfish poisoning or fugu. TTX is one of the most potent nonprotein poisons found in nature, and exposure can result in rapid death. Symptoms occur within 15 minutes of ingestion but may be observed as late as several hours later. More rapid onset of symptoms is associated with higher levels of toxin ingestion. Symptoms principally are neurologic and cardiovascular in nature and may include perioral tingling, a floating sensation, a feeling of overall warmth, weakness, incoordination, slurred speech, bradycardia, hypotension, and dyspnea. Decreased levels of consciousness, seizures, and death have occurred in as few as 17 minutes.

TTX is concentrated in organ meat and gonads. TTX binds specifically to and blocks nerve cell sodium channels. Currently, no antidote exists for TTX. Care is supportive. Gastric lavage and charcoal are indicated in cases of early presentation. Some clinicians have used anticholinesterases (eg, neostigmine, edrophonium) with varying success. Atropine, pressors, and IV fluids can be used for cardiovascular instability. Patients who present with mild symptoms may be observed and discharged at 8 hours if symptoms have diminished. Remember that exposure to TTX does not result in alteration of sensorium; therefore, do not overlook sedation. The incidence of pufferfish poisoning is decreasing, presumably because of heightened awareness and proper preparation of fish.

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2005-01-27 09:36 ]

Yeah, I'd fugu!

I tried wearing the clothes, but people kept walking up to me and saying, "Dude, those clothes aren't meant for you."

If u do Fugu, i wouldnt bargain shop for it for sure.

TBird.

heck no thank you kindly!
I can't even eat onion rings or raw garlic without taking ill, I certainly couldn't trust any of that in my delicate system!

I have, however, built up a tolerance to Iocane powder, which is odorless, tasteless and dissolves instantly in liquid...

I'll never look at my pufferfish lamp the same way.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 5:21 PM

I found a tiny little puffer at value village, I bought it but had to return it because it was still full of it's guts and stank so badly!

NO FUGU FOR YOU!

On 2005-01-27 11:51, dangergirl299 wrote:

I have, however, built up a tolerance to Iocane powder, which is odorless, tasteless and dissolves instantly in liquid...

Inconceivable!

I'll forgo the Fugu, thanks. Call me crazy with a K, but I figure that poisonous animals are better left alone.

H

When I was living & working in Seattle, I had an opportunity to help sequence the Fugu genome, but I wasn't ever able to clear my schedule enough to get down to the lab & do it. My friend Monica worked on it, though.

I would Fugu, but with some careful hesitation to consider who's preparing the nasty little bugger.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-01-27 20:13 ]

D

if it werent for the raw fish part of fugu, i'd fugu.

would it still be tingly and dangerous if it were cooked?

H

I would fugu in a minute like a Mojo.

On 2005-01-27 19:53, ZebraTiki wrote:

Inconceivable!

you keep using that word. i do not think it means, what you think it means.

On 2005-01-27 20:59, dogbytes wrote:

would it still be tingly and dangerous if it were cooked?

Probably be tough i would imagine.

TBird.

I love the episode of the Simpsons where Homer orders the Fugu. The Sushi Chef's getting busy with Mrs. Crabbaple so the trainee has to cut the blowfish, which deflates into something like a deflated balloon, making it all but impossible to remove the tiny non-poisonous bit to feed to Homer...

On 2005-01-27 09:20, BaronV wrote:
Done it - statistically, greater risk of getting offed by the meat you buy at the local supermarket than by the fugu.

BaronV is right. According to this article;

Once the government got into the act, however, monitoring Fugu restaurants and granting trade licences to only the most expert Fugu chefs, the death toll has come down to single-digit figures. Eating Fugu at licensed establishments in Japan and abroad, as a result, is now a lot less exciting and almost completely safe.

Hardly adventurous I'd say.

Now if you really want a thrill, try eating some oysters from the Santa Monica Bay.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jan 28, 2005 6:32 PM

Hakalugi, check your PMs!

I just found a sushi restaurant in La Jolla called Fugu Sushi, I wonder if they do? They're brand new & don't have a Yellow Pages ad yet, someone will have to go in & see...

On 2005-01-30 18:08, freddiefreelance wrote:
someone will have to go in & see...

I hope they come out.

H

Freddie, you should fugu...

Now if you really want a thrill, try eating some oysters from the Santa Monica Bay.

The "biggest" eating thrill I ever experienced was eating discounted sushi (yes, even the raw stuff) on Fremont Street in Vegas! My colon has never forgiven me.

Mass quantities of alcohol had suppressed my capacity for logic and reasoning, yet did NOT kill off whatever I had picked up from it.

C

I'd be interested to try, but would like to know first whether
the numb, tingling feeling on the lips is related to the numb, tingling
feeling I get on my lips after eating oysters, just before throwing up....

K

I read a neat book called 'The Havana Room' by Colin Harrison. Much of the plot revolves around this mysterious delicacy and the proper preparation. In the end, the fugu plays an important role in the plot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0374299862/002-0983086-6216048?v=glance&n=283155

I'll fugu if you do.

Pages: 1 27 replies