Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Stamps (non-USA)

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hi TCers,

I bought 4 stamps last summer when we were in Rarotonga. I was wondering if any one else has images of tiki stamps from abroad and would love to hear/see ideas on how to frame them. I'm not much of a stamp collector, so I don't know how to display them --other than putting them in a book.

N

Great stamps, I don't have any, but would love to get some.

As far as framing - I would look at the USPS sight online and see if they have ideas on how to display stamps. They usually have some great things for collectors.

Congratulations on your new stamps! Those are absolutely faboo!!!

I lick your stamps with envy and deep admiration. :)

Lenore

My niece and her boyfriend sent me this gorgeous sheet of stamps from New Zealand

A Tiki Tour of New Zealand.

"This stunning edition of 24 stamps has been designed to capture the 'get up and go' spirit of the classic Kiwi Tiki tour, celebrating so many of the home-grown fascinations across the land. This sheet of stamps shows off some of our unique wildlife, landscapes, buildings, statues and industries. So now you can visit heaps of our great sights, from the comfort of your own armchair."

I guess "Tiki Tour" doesn't literally mean a tour of NZ tikis (there are only a few depicted), as explained here:

It comes in a package with a large poster of the stamp sheet.

That is beautiful! I'd love to see all of the stamps illustrations.

Does anybody collect stamps? Is it hard to get collectible stamps from other countries?

On 2005-01-27 23:41, The Monitors wrote:
Hi TCers,

I bought 4 stamps last summer when we were in Rarotonga. I was wondering if any one else has images of tiki stamps from abroad and would love to hear/see ideas on how to frame them. I'm not much of a stamp collector, so I don't know how to display them --other than putting them in a book.

Beautiful! I'd say mount'em on a little bit of palm frond or bamboo matting and put them in a tiny bamboo frame.

T

On 2009-12-10 15:38, Tiki Shaker wrote:
That is beautiful! I'd love to see all of the stamps illustrations.

Does anybody collect stamps? Is it hard to get collectible stamps from other countries?

I don't collect stamps but I just collected these (and the Simpsons one for x-mas). And Sweet Daddy Tiki
is a good salesman. And yes it was easy. $3 for shipping Ebay 8 left here

Wow...SDT...that is an absolutely gorgeous piece of artwork. I wish when I was in NZ, I had the thought to buy something like that (my visit was prior to my Tiki days). Se La Vie!!!

On 2009-12-10 15:38, Tiki Shaker wrote:

There's a monthly stamp fair at the Al Bahr shrine. There's one on Sunday, in fact. Just don't wear your tiki fez hat there. :wink:

Here are some of mine from Niue:

Here's a link to my NZ Maori stamps.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-12-11 20:01 ]

Some more random ones from the collection:

Buzzy Out!

Cheers for the heads-up. I just ordered the Tiki Tour of New Zealand set directly from the NZ post office.

http://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/Stamps/NewZealandCurrentIssues/ATikiTourofNewZealand/

Just $12 NZ ($8.50 US, £5.26 UK) with free postage. Bargain!

Trader Woody

I've just noticed after going through the whole checkout process that the New Zealand post office is also selling these:

Trader Woody

Ordered mine too. AND it says it'll come with a poster.....BONUS!

T

Iorana -

There are a few dozen Moai and other Rapa Nui themed stamps pictured in the pages of Big Stone Head: Easter Island and Pop Culture.

http://www.bigstonehead.com

F

Did a quick search of TC and didn't see anything about this. Aaaand, it's a year old, but they made a second set of the "Tiki Tour" New Zealand stamps. Although there's actually very few tiki's on either print, they're both quite amazing looking. Would love to buy a post print of these, if such a thing were available.

Any TC'ers have any extra sets of these stamps they might be persuaded to sell? ; )
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/lifestyle/2012/07/11/tiki-tour-stamps

Those are on ebay all the time. A lot of the first issue ones actually come with the printed poster. Good price range is between $10-15 on those.

Buzzy Out!

and while this thread was bumped, here's some more of my Tiki stamp collection posted since then:

Tiki/Oceanic Postage Stamps

Buzzy Out!

F

Awesome- thanks, Buzzy!

I ordered the Tiki Tour 2 set directly from the New Zealand post office. $14 plus $2.40 postage (New Zealand dollars). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Cool stamp with the Kon Tiki, Thor Hyerdahl and the Easter Island Moais.

DC

Pages: 1 19 replies