Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Would You Balut?

Pages: 1 12 replies

H

When Escargot becomes boring and Fugu has lost its thrill, it's time to step up to the plate and try something really adventurous. Okay maybe not as challenging as monkey brains, but still.

Please welcome the infamous Balut. The Balut is a fine delicacy from the Philippines. Just take one fertilized duck egg and bury it in the ground to keep it warm. Once it's partially developed, boil it and crack that baby open. You'll know it was incubated properly if the bones are just barely crunchy. - Enjoy!!

"One Balut a day, that's all we ask"
-The Filipino Balut Council

Take a look!

[Link edited]

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2016-03-25 23:23 ]

I thought you were talking about using inflated bags as a heat sheild to skip across another planets atmosphere therby using the friction to slow you spacecraft down enough to allow orbital insertion.

Heck, I'd do that in a second...

H

Oh yeah, yeah. You're thinking of Baluot (aka Aerobreaking)!

Yes, I'd do that too! I'm sure that Aerobreaking is much more fun than eating a Balut.

H

Oh, just for the record, for when you want to order one at your local Filipino market; Balut is pronounced like Buh-Loot.

I heard stories from sailors about eatin' balut while on shore leave in Subic and Olongopo, PI and kinda cringed as they described it. The usual reason for this gastronomical adventure was "I was soooo drunk, I was up for anything". Then we all went down to this oriental market to pick up lunch at work one day and this guy that just joined us from Electric Boat in CT decided to show us how to eat balut. That wuz one gnarly site...believe me.

I'm Filipino and when I use to live there as a kid I would only eat it with the lights out and a glass of water as a chaser. I'm too americanized now and can't eat it.

B

M

Ma init titi ko!

On 2005-01-29 08:20, MachTiki wrote:

Dude. That's soooooo Punk!

TM

Have you tried the chocolate sauce?

I did!

The black blood was not so bad, but the little pieces of pig's ears were a little hard to look at!

I happen to like Sinigan...anyone else?

How about charnina? Hot soup made from chocolate and duck's blood. I believe it's Polish, but a lot of people eat it in south-east milwaukee in the older communities.

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-31 09:47 ]

Once, I did a bad bad thing.

A buddy of mine had started dating a lady whose family was from the Phillipines, and her father was very unhappy with the prospect of her dating a non-Phillipino. He refused to even speak to my buddy until about a year into the relationship, when he summoned my friend to attend dinner with the family.

My friend was nervous, so I told him if he really wanted to impress the girl's father, he'd ask for some Balut to show he wanted to fit it.

Well, my buddy forgot to ask what it was made of, and being the kind of guy he is, really wanted to impress dad and asked for several all at once.

About midnight that night, I got an angry call with tales of eating eggs with "little chickens" inside and "everyone watching" and how taking revenge on me would be sweet, etc. It was great.

Ah, sweet memories of Balut.

Pages: 1 12 replies