Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Discovery Channel/AOL " Who Is the Greatest American" - any tiki suggestions?

Pages: 1 8 replies

B
BaronV posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2005 8:08 AM

i keep seeing the ad on the Discovery Channel for their completely unscientific 'who is the greatest American' poll and want to vomit everytime the schlub in the ad says 'Katie Couric.'

Anyone have any tiki suggestions? Maybe a combined campaign to get Trader Vic (Vic Bergeron - not sure i spelled that right) or Leroy Schmaltz from OA in there?

Nominations are being collected here -
http://tv.channel.aol.com/greatestamerican

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2005 5:23 PM

We would have a better chance if we picked one.

M

Well, they give you five choices. I put:

Victor Bergeron
Donn Beach
Leroy Schmaltz
Martin Denny
Arthur Lyman

If we all put the same thing, we might make a dent.

PS- Let me just state for the record that I in no way honestly think these are the five Greatest Americans of all time. I'd be really worried if there was anyone out there who does.

James Michner - wrote about Hawaii and the South Pacific

Elvis - Played in Hawaii and filmed at the Polynesian Cultural Center

No, my recommendation is:

DUKE KAHANAMOKU

Surfer, Olympic champion, Hollywood actor and Hawaiian folk hero. He's also remembered for his grace in the water, his good humor, and his sportsmanship.

He was born on August 24, 1890 in Honolulu, in the same home (at King & Bishop Streets), son of a policeman and named after an English nobleman.

Lili'uokalani, his aunt, fell heir to the throne, but her reign was brief. By 1893 she had been forced to abdicate because of powerful commercial factions supported by the U.S. Navy. Sanford Dole, the pineapple king, became president of the islands' provisional government. On July 4, 1894 Hawaii became a Republic, presided over by President Dole. By July 7, 1898, when Duke was 8 years old, the American flag flew over the Hawaiian Islands. Two years later, on April 30, 1900, the Organic Act made young Duke an American citizen.

Growing up on the beach in Waikiki, Duke surfed with his brothers and entertained tourists with tandem rides. Legend has it that Duke even rode a 30-foot wave -- called a "bluebird."

Duke became an incredible swimmer and his astonishing swim times were sent to the Mainland, but they were so startling that officials refused to believe them until he traveled to the Mainland to compete.

Duke broke the Olympic record in July of 1912. He had been clocked at sixty-three and two-fifths seconds. Pandemonium reigned and the Hawaiian swimmer became a hero.

Despite encountering racism throughout his extensive travels, his undying aloha spirit brought unprecedented attention to the Hawaiian Islands.

In 1925 Duke Kahanomoku would rescue twelve men from a boating tragedy off of Newport Beach.

He would continue to tour and act as ambassador-at-large for Hawaii, showing the world his swimming and surfing acumen. He would serve as sheriff of Honolulu for 26 years, continue his movie career, run a gas station, have his own line of surf clothing and bid a final aloha on January 22, 1968.

J

Duke Kahanamoku is definitely the way to go -we might be able to pull one off if we stick with someone that those outside the "tiki-world" have ever heard of...

What about Don Ho? Although I do agree with Duke Kahanamoku's nomination...

[ Edited by: BryanDeanMartin on 2005-02-03 21:30 ]

On 2005-02-03 19:45, christiki295 wrote:
No, my recommendation is:

DUKE KAHANAMOKU

Good call! He gets my vote.

Just for your information, Captain James Cook was number 12 when they did a similar poll of Great Britons a couple of years back. (full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons)

Trader Woody

T

Make a dent, but we are just a small fraction. Think what we could do if we team up with the furniture makers forum. :lol:

I think Walt Disney should make the list. He was a visionary AND a tiki appreciator.

Pages: 1 8 replies