Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe for the Ultimate Mai-Tai?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi Everybody,
I am new here to Tiki Central and this is only the third message I've posted so far. First, let me thank everyone in the collectors' forum. Also, I hope I don't cause as much controversy as that Jimmy Buffet guy. Don't worry, I'm not a fan of Margaritaville or even The Pina Colada Song, either, but I have no problem with someone who is. Hey, how come there's song about Mai Tais? Or is there?
Speaking of Mai Tais, I have three drink books, and only one of them had a recipe for a Mai Tai. Maybe I'm making it wrong, but this recipe sucks! It calls for 2 oz dark rum, 1/2 oz apricot brandy, 1/2 oz curacao, tsp of grenadine, and the juice of a fresh lime. Garnish w/ a maraschino chery, pineapple slice and lime peel. I use Bacardi Rum, Hiram Walker brandy, Hiram walker curacao (It is blue curacao, btw. I think this may be the problem) and Rose's grenadine. Not only is this drink awful, it only fills up half of any of my mugs, which all seem to be made for zombies. Even w/ ice, still only half the mug. I know there are books of just tropical drinks, but I thought maybe one of you would have a good recipe. Oh, and I apologize if there is a section of the site devoted to recipes. Remember, I'm the (other) new guy!
Trader Rick
Former Host of "Rock-Don't Run!" and "The Cocktail Hour"
KCSB 91.9 FM Santa Barbara
P.S. I realize the irony in once hosting a radio show called "The Cocktail Hour" and not knowing a decent recipe for a Mai=Tai, so please don't bother pointing that out.

T
thejab posted on Wed, Oct 9, 2002 3:08 PM

Good start, Rick, but I reccommend you switch an orgeat syrup for the apricot brandy, use regular Curacao instead of blue, and use Trader Vic's grenadine instead of Rose's (or leave it out entirely).

Trader Vic's serves the Mai Tai in a large old-fashioned glass, but you can use a small mug if you have one. Better yet, make 2 Mai Tai's and fill up one mug!

Believe it or not, the Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix makes a decent Mai Tai. You just add 4 oz. of it to 2 oz. of Myers's rum and the juice of one lime.

If you really want to make a good Mai Tai and other tropical drinks, buy the Grog Log (it's on Amazon.com) and Intoxica (at Bosko's web site). You'll have all the tropical drink recipes you'll ever need.

For the original recipe and scads of others, check the "Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai" web site out:
http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/

Happy drinking and welcome to Tiki Central!

Trader Rick, how goes your Mai Tai hunt?

This is the house Mai Tai at Ultimate Mai Tai Headquarters.

Fremont Mai Tai by Kevin Crossman, 2019
½ oz Appleton 12 Rum
½ oz Smith & Cross Rum
½ oz Plantation OFTD Rum
½ oz Plantation Xaymaca Rum
1 oz Lime Juice
½ oz Orgeat (Latitude 29)
½ oz Orange Curacao (Ferrand Dry Curacao)
¼ oz Demerara Syrup (BG Reynolds)
Garnish with Mint Sprig and spent Lime shell

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Jan 12, 2020 10:46 PM

Thanks for sharing, Kevin. Your rum blend is highly favored not only by me, but also by everyone I serve it to!

We have a bunch of historical and modern Mai Tai recipes on the Mai Tai Recipes page of the newly relaunched Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai website.

https://ultimatemaitai.com/about/recipes/

Thanks for the link kevincrossman!! The website is awesome. Looks like I need to get a few things, and then I can work my way thru the different recipes :)

Pages: 1 6 replies