Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Heads up...selling a big one..Original Imperial Luau Tikis

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hi, folks....I am giving a good advance heads up as this is a heavy duty auction...I will be selling- my two tikis from the Harris Imperial Luau, the ones that are actually pictured on page 24 of the Book Of Tiki soon, along with some other mementos from the same place. I will be listing them on E-bay for seven day auction on Sunday the 20th of this month. There is one other like them in a Florida Tiki Centralite's private collection, as well as two others that we know exist but were lost in a salvage sale. I am in great need of downsizing, as I am one guy and have too much stuff! I will also be slowly selling off many other items from my collection. These are really fantastic, rare, historic tikis. They are 7 1/2 feet tall but come in two joined top and bottom sections each so they can be shipped anywhere in the continental United States or abroad. I will miss them, but me current situation just plain demands less material wealth.

T

Some people want this stuff and some just want to get rid of it. I am certainly the wanter

They will have a reserve reflecting the range of the previous sale price of the one that went earlier. They won't be a steal but these are very rare tikis and this should be a heck of an oppurtunity as tiki archeology goes.. And I don't think anyone here would accuse me of not wanting my tiki stuff...I was very prolific with it for a long, long while. I just hope the new owners are true believers such as myself and will treasure them for what they are; great pieces of the American tiki past!

BK,

No one should accuse you of not wanting your stuff. Its just that when we see you thinning out your fabulous collection a piece of us goes with it (I know it sounds stupid).

I am sure that I am not the only one here who is slightly saddened by the fact that you were one of our heavy hitters who's participation on TC has gone down dramatically in the past year. We no longer see new fantastic creations from you and cannot live vicariously through pictures of you enjoying the splendorous tiki room that was in your home.

I feel the same deflated feeling whenever I see Traderpup selling off another round of mugs after knowing that he had to dismantle the Spectacular East Indies Room.

Im sure it all sounds sentimental and corny but thats what I feel when a major contributor in our little community seemingly slips away.

I know that you have your own issues in life to contend with but somepart of me found happyness in the moment and I didn't want anything to change.

May your auctions be successful and you achieve happyness in your choices.

Monkeyman

J

Hey Kahuna,

I grew up in South Florida, and back in the 70's when I was a kid, my family used to go to a restaurant in Pompano, Florida called "Harris's Imperial House." I remember that they had a chinese buffet. Is this the same place as the Harris' Imperial Luau? I don't remember the tikis, but then again, I was only about 7 years old the last time I was there.

J

Look how excited Kahuna was to get them :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1705&forum=1&20

D

We're the collectors who were lucky enough to win the auction for the third Imperial Luau tiki after BK found them a few years ago. We paid some serious cash, but it is the most outstanding piece of Polynesian Pop we own.
Some of you got to see this tiki when we brought it to the Hawaiian Inn Party in 2004.
Marian and I hope they go to people who will really appreciate what they have, and protect and preserve them in an appropriate setting. Best of luck with your auction BK, even though we know it must be really tough for you to give them up. Thank you for finding them.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-02-10 20:03 ]

On 2005-02-10 17:58, Monkeyman wrote:
...I am sure that I am not the only one here who is slightly saddened by the fact that you were one of our heavy hitters who's participation on TC has gone down dramatically in the past year. We no longer see new fantastic creations from you...

I joined TC less than a year ago, but soon stumbled on evidence of BK's past substantial contributions to TC. It's obvious that BK was someone who loved to share his tremendous skills and knowlege of carving with whomever was interested, new and seasoned carvers alike. The info in that "Tiki Carving Methodology" post is so invaluable to a new carver, I just can't tell you.

Thanks so much BK. I just hope that your circumstances, whatever they may be, improve to the point that you can get back to the carving that you obviously loved so much. I can't say that I know you but I definitely hope you make it back.

S

I still think you should sell a dozen mugs instead of one of those one-of-a-kind pieces. More profit margin in the mugs as well.

But I also have my motives. I would love to have one of them for the collection that goes into The Headhunter Lounge, but right now, there is no way I can afford one. If you would just hold off a little while, they could go back into a tiki bar and be where any fan could go see them...

Just a very quick comment, but many of my thoughts about TC during the past few months have centered around what Monkeyman stated. BK and the many others that seem to have "vanished" with the result being a genuine loss of great information. BK hope things work out and please consider posting more when you have the opportunity. Take care and good luck..I wish my pockets were that deep.

I'll be back, as stated before...I'm just taking a much needed hiatus from the social scene right now. I kind of got a bit lost there for a while, but one needs to live dangerously ever so often. :)

B

Well BK, Hurry up and get your "Living Dangerously" done and over with and out of your system. We Need you here. We have Lots of GOOD Newbie tiki carvers and They need to see some BK Moves too. You have been out long enough. Time to come on back in and settle down and show us how it's donethe BK way. Just start giving us a few posts a day. I'm having minor hand surgery this week to get rid of a severe "Trigger" finger, Lay up time is about 3 weeks but I'll be carving in 2 and hope to be back to full 1/2 day production within a month. I'll help you and you help me. We need a carving get together.

I agree, Ben, and hopefully that will be possible soon! I'd be honored.

Well, news good if bad...The auction for the I.L. tikis will no longer take place as the two have been absorbed into the Tiki Central family in such a way that any and many more people will be able to see them. They are in the hands of two of our best and most public figures, and will be displayed and documented further for all to see. I will be, however, selling quite a few more larger pieces, so look out on E-bay for them. Thanks, my friends..... BK

Pheeew....(sigh of relief)
Glad to hear this, BK, may Tiki be with you on all your future endavours!

B

I Agree with BigBro , BK, I'm glad something was worked out. Can't wait to see the full story.

S

My faith in the benevolence of the TC and extended Tiki family has been revived!

Good news. Sounds like a win win turn of events.

D

It is a relief to know they are staying in the TC family to be sure... Basement K wrote:

They are in the hands of two of our best and most public figures
:tiki: Soooo? When will we get to find out who the hands belong to? Enquiring minds want to know! :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-02-22 17:13 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies