Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

coffee tiki mug?

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

D

any recommendations for a everyday tiki mug (with handle) for coffee drinking, that can withstand a quick spin in the micro?

thanks..
elicia

Look out for the model DW108 at:

http://www.dynastywholesale.com/tikimugs.html
(Link courtesy of PolynesianPop)

The photo isn't the greatest, but it's a decent enough little mug with a Tiki design and handle. Plus, it's pretty cheap & widely available.

Trader Woody

S

Can't say I'd put it in the micro, but my tiki coffee mug here at work is a St. Thomas Tattoo. You too can own one for a very reasonable amount. GO HERE Drop me a line and make an offer.

Alright!
So I'm looking for a tiki mug to use as a coffee(tea, acutally) mug.

What do you use?

Vintage? New?

What's your favorite one to use at work or in your home office?

Here's what I use:

I fill it up about halfway, the top part stays cool enough to hold.

Miss Bytes-
Not a shameless plug or anything....
how about this?

T

at home... omc karate punch, TF four pack, or Tommy Bahama hula girls

to go, nothing beats i dream of tiki. almost spill proof!

S

I use a good old PMP short mug with a handle myself. A $1 vintage mug...

I like the use of traditional tiki mugs, but it's hard to find old ones with handles that aren't crazed up like craze-y

A new tiki mug with a handle, or a taller yet non-tippy one would be cool

Just to be a heel, there is always the Tiki Farm regular ol' coffee mug.

I have this one at work:

On 2006-02-21 23:15, I dream of tiki wrote:
Just to be a heel, there is always the Tiki Farm regular ol' coffee mug.

I almost placed an order for one last fall, but never got around to it. I was just thinking about it this morning in fact. The nice thing about traditional coffee mugs is that they don't have any bumps on the inside. When I'm at work I often don't have time do wash my mug out right away, so lack of internal bumps would probably be a good thing.

On 2006-02-22 09:34, freddiefreelance wrote:
I have this one at work:

That's a great one freddie! Covers all the bases. Traditional style, yet big enough for a good sized beverage, smooth on the inside, plus it has a handle!

Today I brought in 'Goon' by Doug Horne.

He's a good size, & fairly smooth on the inside. Quite stable.

Ceramics do heat up quite a bit when full of hot beverage, so as Humuhumu suggested, it's best to keep a little space at the top for handling.

So far, I likey!

H
Helz posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2006 10:00 AM

My two humble suggestions...

or (my personal choice)

Especially in those ultra-professional environments.

Great choice Helz!!
The Mai Kai was lacking in the headhunter mug department when I was there, but as soon as I get the chance I'm going to add one to my collection!
Even has a handle and everything!

H
Helz posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2006 3:57 PM

Ok, so after posting this, I boiled a little water and set about having myself a nice cup of Lemon Zinger Headhunter tea...and then quickly realized that the headhunter mug really isn't a particularly great choice because the handle is hollow and heats up pretty good.

The 'owl mask' one, that the Mai Kai uses for it's Kona Coffee Grog, does not suffer from this problem and works flawlessly.

DB - we're sending you something, once Tiki Bot decides which one he wants to keep for himself :wink:
I am enjoying my morning coffee and TC surfing while drinking from my Marooned at TOV mug.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15065&forum=12

I'm pretty sure there aren't any left.

mrs. pineapple

You're right helz, thanks for the great research!

It looks like the hollow handle would make for an uncomfortable cup o' coffee or tea. I guess my preference would now be for the owl faced feller!

Last year Helz was kind enough to mail me both of the awesome handled mugs from the Mai Mai, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't brought one to work with me yet.

After receiving some inquiries from a new member with regards to using a tiki mug for everyday coffee use, I think I'll bring one to work with me tomorrow and give it a whirl.

Has anyone ever used the plastic Kona Coffee mugs for actual hot coffee?

Anyone else use ceramic tiki mugs for their morning jolt of caffeine?

Cheers!

Personally I enjoy using the Tiki Farm skull mug for my coffee. It doesn't hold that much but it's double layer goodness holds in the heat fairly well, especially when preheated with some hot water before the good stuff goes it. The wideness of the lip leads to some drips but it's not that bad.

When I sit in for my manager at the weekly staff meeting I always have this mug with me and make sure it is facing my least favorite coworker who shouldn't even be at the big kids table. It's for managers and designees, not for wannabes and posers. I'm not bitter about it, honest.

There is a picture of me and my mug someplace on my computer that I send Holden and friends but I can't seem to find it and my web mail is doing funny things...ah, there it is.

At work I wouldn't think of using anything but this mug for coffee.

[ Edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2007-03-16 22:52 ]

On 2006-02-24 10:00, HelzTiki wrote:
My two humble suggestions...

or (my personal choice)

Especially in those ultra-professional environments.

Say, HelzTiki where did you get those? I saw a small picture of them in Dynasty wholesale, but they weren't for sale in the recent catalog. If you or anyone know where i can get these new generations of the classics I would appreciate it.

D

My fav is Hot Lava Java. It has a solid handle so no worries of it getting too hot. You can get the matching sugar and cream set as well. It can be found at http://www.bartiki.com.

[ Edited by: dibroc 2007-03-17 19:47 ]

On 2007-03-17 10:00, dibroc wrote:
My Fav is Hot Lava Java. you can get the matching sugar and cream set as well. can get it many places including our friends at http://www.bartiki.com.

I wonder if this one will still be produced now that Hot Lava Java has closed. :cry:

I've been searching for another tiki-ish coffee mug since my Tiki Farm one developed a crack on the handle. :(

Ran across this Tommy Bahama coffee mug today. $12 for a 16-ouncer, plus free shipping through 7/31.

http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Home/Barware/PRD_TH2403/Green+Party+Coffee+Mug.jsp

Nice looking coffee mug, but what is the green party? As in politics?

Personally, i use my Tiki Farm PUPULE for coffee at the studio!
You only have to fill it TWICE for a whole day!
it's like a Tiki Big Gulp!
:)

I would recommend this myself - it's a nice mug, and doesn't feel cheap.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=2251

Seems to be available here:

http://www.hawaiiboundintl.com/haticemug.html

Chris

Enjoying a Black Stripe at Trader Vic's.

S

these are my favorite coffee mugs........they were all gifts from my family, they all encourage my madness ......MAHALO

LT

Fill that Ruzic mug with coffee, you'll be amped for a week! :o

Most of my mug collection is displayed at my office, so I have a wide selection of mugs to choose from for my morning coffee. Many are not suitable for coffee due to age, value or damage. Of the ones I like to use for my morning coffee ritual, I sorta choose based on my mood. Aggressive, adventurous, humorous or just plain sleepy.

I suppose some of the ones without handles get a bit hot, but between years in the restaurant business handling hot plates and years developing musicians' calluses playing guitar and bongos, my hands can take the heat.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 11, 2009 8:22 AM

GROG will have JavaBob available soon for coffee consumption. The sculpt is done and GROG make a mold soon. GROG do small run, maybe 25 or so, and then maybe a couple of smaller runs of about 10 each with a couple of different color.

Nice! Great name, too. More coffee cup than mug size.

Grog,

I'm diggin that JavaBob coffee mug!

I use my old Kahiki coffee mug for camping trips in my Mo-Tiki motorhome.

DC

Grog is good, Grog is great...I want to be sure Grog has my reservation for Little Bob...Little Bob is good , Little Bob Is great ..."I want Little Bob"..8)

My well worn Kona Coffee Mill plastic coffee mug has served me well for years. Made to last and has.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-11-19 18:34 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 20, 2009 9:31 AM

Thanks guys, glad ya'll like JavaBob.

The mold for JavaBob is done and now drying out. GROG should be able to start pouring greenware this weekend.

L

Love the Coffee Bob...guess I am going to have to try to add THAT to my Tiki Bob group too!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 24, 2009 3:03 PM

GROG pouring greenware now. Looks like it'll be $40 for one from this first run of 25 in the traditonal burnt-orange looking glaze color.

$40!?!?!?

If'n y'all wait a few weeks
you can get FOUR of these Quality little lost tiki coffee mugs
for around that!!! :)

(and you don't have to worry about any GROG germs on em! :)

LLT-the anti GROG

http://www.kenruzic.com http://www.myspace.com/kenruzicdotcom

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-11-24 15:46 ]

On 2009-11-24 15:03, GROG wrote:
GROG pouring greenware now. Looks like it'll be $40 for one from this first run of 25 in the traditonal burnt-orange looking glaze color.

$40.00! :o

What's that come with, a Million Dollars? :lol:

MT

Grog, welcome to the "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" Club!

Oh, and I'll take one of those coffee mugs, with cream and a million dollars, please.

Here is a "Retro Tiki" mug 'Designed in Hawaii' made in China...we got these at Tikis Bar & Grill gift shop on Oahu

Mrs. Fury's tea cup at work

Paul Marshal tiki coffee cup

There is always the good old Sea World Tiki coffee Mug, not the prettiest but it is glass so it has no problem with the microwave and is very durable.

U

Here's one that I use.

Pages: 1 2 50 replies