Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Bamboo tiki room and others , calgary, canada (restaurant)

Pages: 1 9 replies

Name:Bamboo tiki room
Type:restaurant
Street:1205 1 st sw
City:calgary
State:
Zip:
Phone:403 261 6674

Description:
Very small , dimley lit , all we have to go to here.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting Slacksferret for a cocktail. The bamboo was not open yet as they were busy setting up. But we did manage to sneek in and get some photos
Sorry for the poor quality .

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-02-19 14:14 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-03-17 10:10 ]

Where are all the hoochies and jocks? Damn!

Rodeotiki is right...Bamboo really is the only "Tiki bar" we have. However, if any tiki enthusiasts came to visit from out of town, I would be more tempted to take them to Tropika for a cocktail. Tropika is a Malaysian restaurant that actually serves a Mai Tai that is close to the real recipe. And they serve some of their drinks in that Trader Vics Moai bowl.

Not to say that Bamboo is a total lost cause. It could be very cool (by my standards anyway) if they added some real wooden carvings, authentic drinks in the proper mugs and glasswares and ditched the Hip Hop DJ's and crappy local bands (even for one night a week) and played some exotica...
Of course, they are in a sketchy part of town and have to cater to the (how did Tikifish put it?...hoochies and jocks?) young bar crowd. I'm sure if someone were to make it more authentic, they would go broke.

Still, I'd love to see some tapa, glass floats, puffer fish, birds of paradise, thatch grass, etc....

I guess that's why I want to put a tiki bar in my basement...

On 2005-02-23 21:05, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Tropika is a Malaysian restaurant that actually serves a Mai Tai that is close to the real recipe. And they serve some of their drinks in that Trader Vics Moai bowl.

Hey, there's a Tropika in Edmonton too. Sounds like the same place. It's one of my favorite restaurants. Do you guys have to copy everything we do? :wink:

This place doesn't warrent a thread all by itself, in my opinion, as it
a) is now gone
b) was only in business a few months
c) had nothing to do with tiki, really
d) was a spa/hair saloon for teens

but I took a photo of the place before it closed down for good anyway, just in case anyone cares ( you really shouldn't)

This also doesnt need its own thread. But I thought i would share Its a little shop that sells surfboards , longboard skateboards and lots of clothing. And has some of my carvings there.

On 2005-03-07 19:51, Slacks Ferret wrote:
This place doesn't warrent a thread all by itself, in my opinion, as it
a) is now gone
b) was only in business a few months
c) had nothing to do with tiki, really
d) was a spa/hair saloon for teens

Hey hey hey, that's still cool! Remember "Kon-Tiki Motorcycles" in the BOT? These kind of distantly connected absurd Tiki manifesations all have a common cause! What do you know about those people's motivation to name it that? The typeface looks almost like from the Palm Springs Oasis...what else does it say about Tiki on that sign?

Glad you like the photo Sven!
It also says "Salon Spa Tiki Party Room" on the sign.

The best part of the sign was the "tiki-Bob-esque" logo they had on it. My photo kinda sucks, but I enlarged it so you can get a better look at it...

Again, I apoligize for the crappy photo

So why did this place have "nothing to do with Tiki", but had an authentic Tiki Bob and Tiki Oasis typeface on the sign?
Were the owners ignorant, but the sign company's graphic designer found this stuff on the net and used it?

Pages: 1 9 replies