Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Pink Martini

Pages: 1 43 replies

I recently purchased "hang on little tomato" and was a bit dissapointed. I was under the impression that they were a lounge band, with Henry Mancini influences.

The album sounded more like mostly latin songs, with somber cello, and very depressing themes. Hardly what I was looking for! I wanted something upbeat and swanky, and this ain't it!

Furthermore, a look inside the booklet that came with it showed very "hippy" looking people as being the musicians, not swingers, like I was expecting. It looks like any sampling of college students from U.C. Berklee, and the singer China Forbes looks a bit too much like Natalie Merchant to be a lounge singer.

Are there other albums by this group that I would like better? Any suggestions?

I really wanted to like this group, but frankly, "hnag on little tomato" depressed the hell out of me!

there is a small but loyal following of pink martini on this forum. (see: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10730&forum=6
and
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6765&forum=6)

pink martini comes from my old stomping grounds portland oregon.

their first album "sympatique" is widely loved and has been sampled in several films. But, it is similar in style to the Tomato album; an eclectic lounge-y mix of multi-national covers, etc. the Tomato album drove my brother nuts because it went from English, French, Italian, Japanese, Croatian, Spanish and back to english (must like the first one did). so if you don't dig the current one, you probably won't like the first one either. amazon.com lets you listen to samples of their music, and if you go to pinkmartini.com you can listen to the entire first album.

I wouldn't classify their stuff as hardcore "lounge" per se. you might get some ideas from these threads however:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13354&forum=11&4

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10393&forum=11

RB

If you're looking for "upbeat and swanky," then, no, Pink Martini won't be your cup of tea (or glass of rum). That said, I do like both their albums a lot. Considerably more upbeat and swinging would be the spin-off group Pepe & The Bottle Blondes: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004UDE8/qid%3D1109374097/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-9409395-0610422

Pink Martini blow. The only good thing about them is their name. You want swingin' lounge? Try these groups: Cocktail Angst, Combustible Edison, or The Fibonaccis. They won't bore you to tears like PM.
(sorry PM fans, just my opinion)

In my opinion the second Pink Martini album IS dissappointing compared for the first, "Sympathique", but that was to be expected as with any "perfect" debut album (as with Goldfrapp, Portishead, etc.), the expectations were too high.

To me, Pink Martini are symptomatic of the difficulties in Lounge and Exotica music today, as elaborated by Lucas Vigor.

It is clear that these people are professional, classicly trained musicians (not hippies), and that do not fetishistically subscribe to any "subculture" or style, and actually have a LIFE. That's why their music transcends retro Lounge music, and though they play covers, becomes something new.

Latin and international influences (EXOTICA!) were part of 50s and 60s Lounge Jazz (see Cal Tjader, Eartha Kitt), and Pink Martini continues beautifully in that tradition. Yet they seem to have other interests too.

It is precisely their caliber of musicianship that is sadly lacking today to create a Lounge music scene. Like many other crafts, it was normal and plentiful in the mid-century, but the Rock'n'Roll/Free Jazz revolution cut the umbilical chord of that tradition, aborting a whole generation.

Too bad that "Little Tomato" is lacking the verve and energy of "Sympathique", it looks like they were having a great time in France and Japan, where they are very much appreciated, but maybe a bit too much of a good time. I know myself how that can be from the film business:
Boy, the crew must have had a great time shooting in Prague...but the movie itself sucks.

A little hunger is always good for art.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Feb 25, 2005 7:56 PM

On 2005-02-25 18:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is precisely their caliber of musicianship that is sadly lacking today to create a Lounge music scene. Like many other crafts, it was normal and plentiful in the mid-century, but the Rock'n'Roll/Free Jazz revolution cut the umbilical chord of that tradition, aborting a whole generation.

Sven, do you think that lounge/exotica was a "scene" back in the 50s/60s or just the status quo (for a segment of society)? Personally, I think that exotica was commercially strong and that's why you had professionals with strong musicianship playing on these albums. It was probably very competitive. Even after years of exposure to the "hip" crowd, exotica albums are easy to find in thrift stores. They had to have been fairly successful. The problem with the alt/indie crowd has always been that their ideas outstrip their abilities for the most part. I've always felt this to be especially true with the vocalists. You get a bunch of folks together who want to make a scene or recreate an earlier sound and that is laudible but they rarely have the skills to completely pull it off because they're trying to recreate a sound that was created by professionals. Scenesters are in it to be cool and maybe get rich, the pros were in it to make a living and maybe be a little cool.

I've collected music for 25+ years. I've collected exotica for maybe seven years but I was only collecting it for the cool album covers! I read those "Incredibly Strange" books and that's how I got into exotica albums. The music always left me kind of bored. The past year or so I've been making CDs of exotica to listen to while I drive and at some point I had a little epiphany! At some point I began to hear and realize the high caliber of musicianship these guys had and the subtle sophistication of the composers. Exotica can, on the surface, appear to be gimmicky with the sound effects but closer scrutiny reveals that these albums were made by very skilled musicians.

The only reason I started this post was because you used the phrase rock'n'roll/free jazz. As a fan of both I hate them being paired together and you're obviously not the first to do that. Just because The MC5 did a Sun Ra cover and both genres like long extended dissonant noise jams does not make them related. Plus I don't think that anyone who would've played with Arthur Lyman in 1959 would've ten years later played with Ornette Coleman or...errr...Ten Years After. They were commercial musicians with strong chops and probably most comparable with the musicians on the Dave Letterman show or SNL. Rock musicians were/are for the most part less skilled than jazz musicians with some exeptions. Pick up any free jazz album and as shitty and weird as you think it sounds...those musicians were highly trained and highly disciplined and the more you listen the more previously undiscerned patterns you can pick up. They know what they are doing even if it is way outside the box.

Those of you who like Pink Martini, or at least "Sympatique" should check out Paris Combo.

The lyrics are all in french, but they have the same style and vibe as Sympatique, as oposed to Edith Piaf.

Apparently, free samples are available here:
http://www.rhapsodylive.com/rhapsody/5lgKu512-NT-34T-A-paris+combo

TM

Whereas I can appreciate the level of musicianship on "Hang on little tomato", I too was turned off by the many minor key songs. I was hoping for and expecting something a little more "fun".

The french elements were interesting, but again, I have heard french music that swings.

Last night I was in Laguna Beach for Djangofest 05, a tribute to Django Rheinhart, the belgian gypsy guitarist from the 1930's..

I saw several great groups like the John Jorgensen quintet, which really played some happy and bouncy music....

and the only people with obvious gypsy heritage in either the audience or any of the groups on stage were my sister and I. Most of the bands were nordic types! They really "got" the music, though...and were able to get that gyspy "sound". Lusty and swinging!

I do think it is possible for a band to recreate a time period style, and get it right...Pink Martini comes pretty close, but I am hoping thier next album comes closer to mancini, and it should, considering their name.

Having said that, there is no one like mancini for getting the lounge sound down pat...very few unhappy songs in his repertoir...most of them are happy and swining...I hope Pink Martini eventually goes down that path.

On 2005-02-25 19:56, Kono wrote:
...you used the phrase rock'n'roll/free jazz. As a fan of both I hate them being paired together....

I used those two individual styles as metaphor for "modern music" vs. "Big Band music", and not to create any kind of connection between the two.
What I was trying to say was this:

The musicianship that is required for good Lounge/Exotica WAS the Status Quo until the 60s. When other radically new musical styles came along, other talents came into demand, and the craft withered. It was just like with the artisans that used to do all the amazing stucco work on buildings until the turn of the (last) century, and then modern architecture became the Status Quo and made their services obsolete. There were thousands of them, working for standard prices. Try to find them now. If you do, you can't pay for them. Their craft has died out.

So today in music, IF the musicianship IS there, like with Pink Martini, the musicians usually do not want to "limit" themselves to Lounge or Exotica (which WE do not see as limiting, of course). But that's why, in my opinion, Pink Martini is not "perfect" Lounge in the way we would prefer it.

I am not saying this judgementally, but just as an observation.

The previous post was a little cryptic, I hope this one brought my point across better.

It was just like with the artisans that used to do all the amazing stucco work on buildings until the turn of the (last) century, and then modern architecture became the Status Quo and made their services obsolete.

I finally got to stay in a "real" modernist building, the Loew's Hotel in Philadelphia, built in 1933 (originally as a bank/office building), billed as the first "modernist" skyscraper in the U.S.

What an eye opener. Modernism I had always thought of as plain and stark and even kind of bland and ugly (and certainly not requiring the services of artisans). But that was what the form had devolved into. Originally, these modernist buildings were -- although clean of line -- made of the most sumptuous materials and careful craftsmanship. Ornamentation was minimal to nonexistant, but the floors, the walls, the ceilings -- everything was the finest mahogany or marble or aluminum, all of it requiring the most expert of installation by artisans. Its gorgeousness just knocked my socks off. The only "modern" buildings I'd been inside prior to this were cheap office buildings, and the difference between these two ways of "doing" modernism was the difference between the living and the dead.

Just wanted to point out that modernism wasn't always cheap and soul-draining.

Thanks, Sin.

Okay. Back to the music.

What this thread really proves is that opinions vary wildly, hard and fast rules don't mean diddly except to the people who make them, and that what was "Tiki" in 1945 is not what was "Tiki" in 1955 is not what is "Tiki" in 2005. As a matter of fact, what is "Tiki" at my bar in my home is probably not exactly the same as what is "Tiki" at anyone else's bar in anyone else's home. Just on Tiki Central I've seen people argue about whether California Surf Guitar, Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, ANY PUNK ROCK WHATSOEVER, Esquivel, Hula Uke Tunes, etc. should be allowed in a TRUE Tiki Bar. Let people start disagreeing as to which Exotica bands are and aren't up to snuff and everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

As much as I hate the phrase I think it applies in this case: It's All Good. Perhaps not all good to all people but all music has it's place and it's fans. Part of the problem here is Categorization. Sven is absolutely correct in that the categories "Lounge" and "Exotica" are not the same as they were in their original forms. As a matter of fact, they weren't even the same as we think of them now when in their original forms.

My advice, Sambo... Hang on to the CD. One of these days you'll be a bit of a meloncholy mood and sipping a Martini or, say, a Cafe de Paris, and it'll hit you. If not... That's why God made Half.com.

Pink Martini will be performing at the Hollywood Bowl in September.

Sat. Sep 10
8:30 PM
A Night at the Copa with Pink Martini and Bebel Gilberto

Artists:
Los Angeles Philharmonic; Alexander Mickelthwate, conductor; Pink Martini, special guests; Bebel Gilberto, special guest

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2005-04-18 20:33 ]

...and to think that I saw them at one of their Free Concerts at the Huntington Beach pier. Sigh.

Pink Martini with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra backing them is a quantum difference, the sound is so much more full and energetic.

As good as it was to see them at the HB pier (and probably for free), Bigbro, do yourself a favor and see them again at the Bowl!

I also saw Pink Martini a couple of years ago at the Hollywood Bowl (a double bill with Sergio Mendes). I believe it does require a certain caliber musician to perform successfully with a full orchestra. (Although I've seen them on their own too.) And while I was somewhat lukewarm to the singer previously (and perhaps expected something more Mancini-esque), that night I was blown away by the entire sound. They were flawless, especially their pianist who essentially just kicked butt that night. In fact, although Sergio Mendes was also performing, I saw many people leaving after PM was finished. (We, of course, stayed for Sergio Mendes.)

While PM may not fit into the cookie cutter mold of current lounge bands, I think that's exactly why I like them. When a musical genre becomes too much of a formula I am often attracted to those that start to go a little outside of the boundries. And in fact, latin influenced music (while different from Tiki/Hawaiian music) was hugely popular in the 40s and 50s (Xavier Cugat, Carmen Miranda, Desi Arnaz, Tito Puente). I don't see many other bands today utilizing those influences quite as well. (PM's pianist could easily have worked for Cugat.)

I also strongly agree with BigBro about the general caliber of musicians then versus now. In other words, yeah, what he said.

TM

Wow! Sergio Mendes!

Just about one of my favorite bands!

"like a lover" is a song that gives me goosebumps, Mais que nada!

Has anyone noticed that the Holllywood Bowl adds feature Pink Martini?

I'll be in the house both nights.

On 2005-06-06 20:39, christiki295 wrote:

Are you going to the 9/10 concert? I'm planning a whole disneyland/king tut exhibit/trader vic visit around it - can't wait!

It appears Pink Martini is playing near San Diego Sunday 9/11 as well:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/798389

S

I gotta second the vote for Pepe and the Bottle Blondes. Upbeat, fun and incredible musicianship.The guitar player and trumpet player are scary good.

On 2005-06-07 09:54, dangergirl299 wrote:

On 2005-06-06 20:39, christiki295 wrote:

Excellent plan!

Are you going to the 9/10 concert? I'm planning a whole disneyland/king tut exhibit/trader vic visit around it - can't wait!

I had the pleasure of finally seeing Pink Martini perform this past Monday, at D.C.'s 9:30 club. It was an early show - doors opened at 6:30, and Pink Martini played from 7:00 until 8:30. I was surprised at the large turnout - the floor and the balcony areas were all full - and the audience, comprised of people from their 20's to their 70's, was definitely appreciative of their music.

This was the first time I saw Pink Martini perform, and I was definitely impressed with both their musicianship and the quality of their arrangements. A friend of mine, who saw both this show and their previous DC performance, says they have become even better, and tighter, than when he first saw them. For an 11 piece ensemble, they play very well together.

It was nice to be in a large crowd that was surprisingly quiet during the songs, as if they wanted to be aware of every piano trill, every subtle bass run, and every little tap or riff from whatever percussion item was being played. I've been to the 9:30 club many times, mostly to see rock bands, but this was the first time where I was both enraptured and thrilled by the rhythm of a triangle being played - the sound carried all the way to the back balcony, where I was standing. It is as if my ears were yearning to lean forward, to capture that next quiet note.

The audience may have been extremely quiet as each song was played, but the applause after each song was long and appreciative - one friend who was up at the stage said that many band members seemed stunned at both the large Monday turnout and the sustained applause at the end of each song. The band started with their version of 'Bolero', and ended up with the standard 'Brazil.' The vocals of China Forbes are amazing - one of the smoothest singers around today, and the Flight of the Bumblebee-like runs by Gavin Bondy, as he soloed on the Harry Jame's composition 'Concerto for Trumpet,' amazed the whole house.

Even though it was a full house, and the band plays many latin-tinged rhythtms, you did not see much dancing in the audience - even during the Brazil encore. Some music is meant to be heard loud, where everything meshes together into one energetic wall of sound that gets everyone dancing. The music of Pink Martini is much more subtle. The individual instruments and voices all meld together nicely, yet one tends to want to focus on some of the individual elements that emerge during each song. That type of listening experience is quite rare, especially when listening to a 11 piece band. I enjoyed being a part of the audience - it seemed to be a universal feeling that night, just wanting to absorb and appreciate every note of the evening.

Vern

Finally having purchased "Hang On Little Tomato," I maintain my position - Pink Martini is the perfect blend of mambo and harmony, dramatic rhythms and breathtaking lullabyes.

Do check out the show at the Hollywood Bowl (and purchase parking passes) - You won't be disappointed!

Just saw the show last night. The opening act, Bebel Gilberto was a bit on the sleepy side for some, but once Pink Martini ended their first song, Bolero, people were wide awake and applauding thunderously. I don't know the actual length of their set, but it went by all too fast for me. Seemed like there was a ton of other songs they could've added to the set. They had a signing afterward at the bottom of the Hollywood Bowl's hill, but that seemed like an odd idea at the Bowl since a lot of people take shuttle buses and park & ride buses there and can't stay long enough to partake in the signing.

Incredible. After the sultry samba of Bebel Gilberto, Pink Martini rocked the house, again. Bolero, complete with Bongos, was amazing, better than Ravel's version.

The piano player is a prodigy. The trumpet and trombone players were stupendous.

Love the samba dancers during the encore.

Pink Martini triumphatly returns to LA this summer, after a world tour, June 22 & 23, at UCLA - Royce Hall. Ticketmaster/LA Live/pinkmartini.com

Check it out!!!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19310&forum=17&0

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-04-29 20:24 ]

B

I'm surprised that any fan of Exotica, Bachelor Pad Music or other Modernist sounds would not be into minor key jazz... something utilized often in Be-Bop, West Coast Cool Jazz and even Dance Orchestra music, like the incredible DREAM DANCING by the Ray Anthony Orchestra.

I like Pink Martini's first CD a lot. I agree with whomever it was that said the tonal qualities of Mood Music were largely destroyed in the wake of fushion and hippy music. It's one of the reasons why I respect really good retro. A lot of retro is not as expansive as we might like, but the very ethic of just getting the tonal qualities down pact is something to admire. And the entire genre of "retro" has now resulted in an alternate version of the record industry. Just check out the Soap Plant's LP bins. Retro is definitely a part of punk.

TM

I want to explain why minor key jazz (INMHO) is not appropriate for lounge, exotica and bachelor pad music:

Basically, all these types of music are fun, pop versions of jazz. They are supposed to reflect the optimism of the future, or the fun of exotic vacations and travel.

While it's true that songs like "caravan" could be considered minor key, the mood they suggest is mysterious yet at the same time light hearted.

Bop and Jazz are mainly serious forms of music. Just look at the demeanor of Miles Davis. The concentration is that of a boxer. The way these jazz musicians of the golden bop age dressed were sharp yet somber suits. Brooks brothers. There were no aloha shirts or shriner caps.

I found the pink martini album to be profoundly sad, and introspective. Oh yeah, these are expert musicians, but I was expecting more of a swanky and swinging sound, based on the NAME of the band! I thought there would be a heavy Mancini influence and tone, and I just did not hear it on "hang on little tomato". Almost every single Mancini chart is swinging, cool and light-hearted. Yes, songs like "it had better be tonight" are in a minor key, but the idea is definetly fun.

One of the reasons I believe Pink martini fails for me is the extensive use of the cello. Cello is by it's very nature a somber istrument, and is used in much classical music to convey that type of feel. Not the same for the xylophone! Soon as you hear the xylophone, you know you are in for fun!

I really wanted to like Pink martini. I went into it expecting something other then what I got. Lounge music is by definition supposed to be fun, and not something that makes you think.

orchestral jazz of the late 50's and early 60's, like that of the gil evans orchestra or stan kenton, is very serious, but does not fit into the category of lounge at all. This is serious music, meant to be listened to the same way you listen to classical. With respect and intelligence. Dave brubek, same thing:

There are some things I do like about Pink martini, but again, it's more derived from Julie London and other female singers who frankly, did it better.

That was all just my opinion, and I think the fan base for this band is there solely because there really are no new bands that have the mancini sound. Other then Monica Mancini, of course. There is no alternative there. so people gravitate towards the band.

Personally, and judging by the pictires, they are a hippy band that cleaned up thier image, but that chick has got too much of the natalie merchant vibe for me to get into it. There are many other bands like Fisherman Vibraphonic that I think "get" the lounge sound better, understand it more.

A company I am currently speaking with that makes an ultra-cool streaming audio device for the home uses Pink Martini on their boxshot and advertising. I guess the photographer's girlfriend is the singer...

Here is what it looks like:

More information about this device can be found at:
http://www.slimdevices.com/

S

Lounge is certainly not limited to "upbeat" or "light hearted." You go far enough in that thought and you get awful schlock like "Richard Cheese." Buffoonery.

Lounge is music made by adults, for adults. In some ways, it had a certain peak as the rock and roll era got stronger and the old guard orchestra tried to embrace that feeling and incorporate those sounds. See "Billy Mure" and "Les Paul."

Pink Martiki is hard to group though. I enjoyed their first CD and saw them live with the symphony in Nashville. But trying to mix them in with lounge is tough. A lot of it is because their mood and the length of the songs does not fit. The sounds are right though. Bossa beat, latin. I put them in with France Gall and others, but they don't quite fit any of the genres. Try "Donde Estas, Yolanda?" for a more peppy song by them.

TM

On 2006-05-05 11:13, Swanky wrote:
Lounge is certainly not limited to "upbeat" or "light hearted." You go far enough in that thought and you get awful schlock like "Richard Cheese." Buffoonery.

.....not limited to upbeat, as no music really has limits, but I would say that if you bought each one of the ultra-lounge CD's, there would be very little somber music on them..........!

Lounge is music made by adults, for adults. In some ways, it had a certain peak as the rock and roll era got stronger and the old guard orchestra tried to embrace that feeling and incorporate those sounds. See "Billy Mure" and "Les Paul."

...........True enough, it is music for adults, and rock and roll killed it, unfortunately. Esquivel and Les Baxter were pushed out by the beatles and stones......

Pink Martiki is hard to group though. I enjoyed their first CD and saw them live with the symphony in Nashville. But trying to mix them in with lounge is tough. A lot of it is because their mood and the length of the songs does not fit. The sounds are right though. Bossa beat, latin. I put them in with France Gall and others, but they don't quite fit any of the genres. Try "Donde Estas, Yolanda?" for a more peppy song by them.

.......The bossa nova and latin influence was what drew me to them, but once I heard that cello, I gave the CD to my sister.......

.......I will stick to my Antonio Carlos Jobim for now on!!!!........music that is at once lighthearted yet heartbreakingly beautiful!!

Just announced:

Pink Martini will be performing with the San Francisco Symphony on July 28. Who wants to join me?

more info at http://www.sfsymphony.org

T

So what about Thin Lizzy?

I commented on the music at the coffee shop (which I heard for all of 35 seconds) the other day, the barrista told me it was Pink Martini, It was pretty mellow and somber, very latin and sounded very influenced by Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain" LP, which I like, but it is depressing somber music, sorta Latin classical meets lo- down blues. I'll have to check out more of their stuff. Thanks for the info TC.

ST

B

Basically, all these types of music are fun, pop versions of jazz. They are supposed to reflect the optimism of the future, or the fun of exotic vacations and travel.

What a narrow view of this great genre.

B

I'm just guessing that you don't care for EDEN'S LSLAND, correct? Becuase it is certainly filled with minor key songs, and reflects the somber, lonesome blues that Eden Ahbez had, and so eloquently projected onto genres like '40s Big Band, '50s Rhythm & Blues and '60s Exotica.

B

Esquivel and Les Baxter were pushed out by the beatles and stones......

Those groups were just a part of the circumstance. Time changes things, but the existence of a record is the closest we can get to capturing lightening in a bottle.

TM

Do you know or listen to much Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Arthur Lyman, Esquivel or Henry Mancini??

Those are pretty much the people who invented, wrote and CLOSED the book on lounge, tiki and exotica.

I don't know why citing some obsure corner of this genre as being the whole enchilada is a valid point.

So, if I say that the musisicans I just listed above are pretty much the leading lights when it comes to exotica and lounge, I am aboslutely correct. And the fact that NONE of those artists wrote even one song that could be remotely considered to be depressing or somber makes me even more correct.

Don't start throwing out insults saying that my comments are narrow minded. Pink Martini's last album was anything but light hearted, and my damn point was that I bought the album thinking I was going to get something fun and uplifting, as reflected by the name PINK MARTINI, which is an obvious reference to the PINK PANTHER and Henry Mancini. It was my mistake to buy the album without downloading it first and checking out the tracks. Had I done that, I never would have bought the album in the first place.

B

I don't think EDEN'S ISLAND is considered obscure in lounge circles any more.

But it's getting a little too heated for my taste.

Just let's leave it that some people like moody, somber and minor key lounge, and some people don't.

Pink Martini is releasing a "Playbutton" of Sympathique.

Playbutton is a wearable button that plays Pink Martini’s debut album, Sympathique.

Playbuttons have all the convenience of an MP3 player but respect the integrity of an album release: the sequence cannot be changed, altered or downloaded.

The Sympathique PLAYBUTTON is a lovely lapel pin complete with controls, it's own album art and packaging, a re-chargeable lithium battery (with USB charger included), all housed in a stainless steel casing. We think the buttons are just brilliant, so we were thrilled when Playbutton chose Sympathique as one of the first albums in their collection! The wildly popular debut album that started it all is now available as a wearable pin!

For more information about Play Buttons, please visit their website http://www.playbutton.co/

1. Amado Mio 4:46
  2. No Hay Problema 6:09
  3. Sympathique 2:47
  4. Qué Sera Sera 4:11
  5. La Soledad 5:37
  6. Donde Estas, Yolanda? 3:22
  7. Andalucia 3:36
  8. Song of the Black Lizard 4:07
  9. Never on Sunday 4:53
  10. Brazil 5:15
  11. Lullaby 2:12

"Sympathique is breathtaking." - The New Yorker

TM

ha! I LOVE these lazarus threads! 6 years ago I disliked Pink martini...and today, I feel exactly the same. The band is too self-serious for me! Glad they are doing well, though.

What a weird ass format. I don't like it!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

hrm... i really like this. i can see how it may not appeal to some but i'm a fan of alternative packaging/presentation. i also like that the sequence of the album cannot be changed, altered or downloaded, but again- this might even narrow down the margin a little more. but at $10 button i'm definitely sold.

thanks for the heads up

Pages: 1 43 replies