Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Frankoma War God mug on Ebay

Pages: 1 23 replies

Has anyone scored one of these in the wild?(without paying an arm and a leg)I know they are rare and have never seen one on ebay before.My max is about $175.00, what do they tend to sell for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3962131897&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-03 15:22 ]

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 3:32 PM

This one had a buy it now price of $450.00 before someone bid on it. The last one I saw on Ebay was a red one that went for around $500.00.

A brown one ended about two weeks ago on ebay for $261. I have seen the red ones go for over $600. It is usually not the tiki collectors but the Frankoma collectors that shoot the prices through the roof.

B

On 2005-03-03 15:22, freakytiki wrote:*
Has anyone scored one of these in the wild?(without paying an arm and a leg)

We got ours at a Salvation Army (though it was in the "antique shop" part of the store. I think they had it priced at $12 rather than the $3 that would have been on it if it was in with the "bric-a-brac". If I remember correctly another one surfaced at the same Salvation Army a few weeks later. Mind you, this was maybe 1998 or '99.

Yeah, I forgot about the Frankoma collectors....they add quite alot of competition.Obviously they know all too well about the Club Trade Wind items and the non-Trade Winds "T" series.But how would that be to find one at your local Salvation Army or thrift store! good one Boutiki!

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-03 16:47 ]

M

*Has anyone scored one of these in the wild?(without paying an arm and a leg)I know they are rare and have never seen one on ebay before.My max is about $175.00, what do they tend to sell for?

Yes, one recently ended up in our collection. The last two listed on eBay have gone for $250 or so, but not the one before that. A couple of years ago I went loco and bid over $400 on eBay for two like the mug in the BOT, the red ones from the Rotary Club function. That's my all-time fave mug, gotta love the red. I was high-bidder! I was going to win... wee! Then I got sniped. It was cool, though. I just ordered a bunch of pizzas, had 'em sent to his address. Heh heh....heh.

Good luck, they're great pieces, but them Frankoma collectors are hardcore. Cross one of them, shudder... I don't wanna think about it. Some of them, they see a Kohala or Danloves bidding against them, they'd just chuckle. Kaiser Soze got nuthin' on some of those Frankoma fiends.

midnite

HT

Well, I've already been insanely outbid.

J

Hale Tiki, it's still early...there's still enough time for Kohalacharms to blow all the other bidders out of the water! :wink:

I would love to find a true T3 in the wild. It's the larger version of the mug.

It's one of my personal favorites as well, I love the exaggerated cartoon look to the mug. While I personally don't care the brown satin glaze, I wouldn't complain if I found one in the wild.

I have never seen one in person, but have seen quite a few of the glazes in books and on websites. I agree with y'all that the Fire Red glaze is really where it's at...

I scored a Frankoma coconut mug (green/brown) on Ebay a few weeks ago for about $4 (it wasn't listed correctly). I've never seen one for sale before so I have no idea what they usually go for.

-Z

I saw a pair of the Frankoma tiki shakers a few months ago on ebay, they were listed incorrectly and the bid was up to about $30.00.I went to snipe them and my computer froze up for a few seconds..... I missed it.....it was another tiki collector that got em.

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-05 17:06 ]

J
JTD posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2005 6:12 AM

Unga, FZ,
That is indeed a Frankoma coconut. They come in many colors. I have 3 or 4 and have paid $2-7 bucks for them on eBay. It is a hefty mug and can hold quite a bit more than a TV's coconut.

JTD

M

"I've never seen one for sale before so I have no idea what they usually go for. "

There's quite a variety of colors, maybe a dozen? Not sure, but I recall one listing of maybe 8 T7 coconuts and all were a different glaze. One can find them on eBay pretty regularly, and they're not that pricey. We did sell on for a goodly sum once, but it was the "flame" glaze. That red color does attract some attention from colectors. We had to sell it, 'cause I think they're radioactive.

Plutonium in the glaze... something like that!

midnite

M

The War God mug closed at a measly $450 and change. I tell ya, don't bring a knife to a Frankoma collector auction.

Those people are hardcore.

Alls I got to say is thank the stars for people who cannot spell Frankoma!

midnite... full of pie.

On 2005-03-03 16:02, boutiki wrote:

On 2005-03-03 15:22, freakytiki wrote:*
Has anyone scored one of these in the wild?(without paying an arm and a leg)

We got ours at a Salvation Army (though it was in the "antique shop" part of the store. I think they had it priced at $12 rather than the $3 that would have been on it if it was in with the "bric-a-brac". If I remember correctly another one surfaced at the same Salvation Army a few weeks later. Mind you, this was maybe 1998 or '99.

I think I got the one you speak of...I know which salvation army you got it at ....got mine there too in the "antique shop".......paid about the same...again, it was a few years ago.....

I bought 3 of these for $16, but they vanished en-route to the UK. They were sent via surface mail so at least they might currently be being used to hold the grog of some salty sea-dogs with a long cold journey through the waves.

Trader Woody

You know, the person that won the War God mug the other day also won the Frankoma tiki shakers.....Ginny1099 or something like that.I can just picture some sweet ol' lady(albeit deadly dangerous ebay sniper) sitting in her living room choke full o' frankoma tiki....

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-11 19:50 ]

M

"I bought 3 of these for $16, but they vanished en-route to the UK. They were sent via surface mail so at least they might currently be being used to hold the grog of some salty sea-dogs with a long cold journey through the waves. "

Three!?! AGGGGGGHHHHHHH... Oh, the Humanitee!

Is some UK Customs flunkie amassing a great Tiki collection? I am beginning to have some concerns about a smuggling cartel. A web of Customs and Immigration agents around the world, all in cahoots (that word again), with some nefarious group of well-heeled (again!) Tiki con-ah-sirs. I have my list of suspects, but no one, NO ONE!!!, is free from my umbrella of suspicion.

I'm on the case. I have acute criminal investigatory skills. I've been arrested, several times. No stone will be un-washed, I will pull out all the finishes, and grab my man... figuratively, of course.

det. midnite

M

This one was marked, from the Cultured Pearl in Tulsa. That's probably why it went for a little bit more, bah ha ha ha:

Missed it by that much, and much = $425

N

whats the history on frankoma? were they specific to certain restaurants/bars?

Nomeus, Wendy Cevola, aka danlovestiki, is a good expert on Frankoma.

Pages: 1 23 replies