Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Bookends for trade--now with pics!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies

R
Rorysm posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 9:55 AM

I am going to pick up a set of tiki bookends today. I'm wondering if anyone would want one. I will post pics today or tommorow... but they are made out of some kind of onyx and 6 inches tall (little value outside of the tiki collector realm). Anyway, I'm going to pick up an extra set to trade for mugs or whatever. I have quite a limited collection, so this might be a good mutual exchange if you have some duplicates. Basically, best offer gets the bookends. Pictures forthcomming...

[ Edited by: Rorysm on 2005-03-09 10:03 ]

[ Edited by: rorysm on 2005-03-09 15:41 ]

R

Oh yeah, they're made of "onyx marble" which is sometimes called "mexican onyx". They are supposed to be brown, tan, and white. Here's what the dictionary said about onyx marble:

Onyx marble, Mexican onyx, a banded variety of marble or calcium carbonate resembling onyx. It is obtained from Mexico in various colors ranging from white to deep black.

[ Edited by: Rorysm on 2005-03-09 10:04 ]

R
Rorysm posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 3:40 PM

Okay, I wound up finding a couple different styles. They are each hand-carved (no two alike. I even found a couple "charms" for necklaces. The bookends are 6 inches or so and the charms a couple inches or slightly less. so here's style number one (without a base)

style 2 with the base..

necklace 1 (thin)

necklace 2 (chunky)

Okay, now just tell me what you like and send me some I'M or posts suggesting what you have to trade. I'll just wait a couple days and decide what offer I like best... like i said earlier, my collection is mostly store-bought stuff, I have no online ordered goods (like munktiki or anything like that)and I have very few older mugs... the more unusual or cool the better. If there's much demand I might have to try to finagle a couple more sets out of my source.

Rory, I am sorry, but I would not consider these Tiki, they are Mexican tourist carvings that depict Aztec/Mayan figures.

...of course, one could consider the Thor Heyerdahl theory and make a connection to Kon-Tiki, the Peruvian sun god, but generally pre-Columbian and Polynesian carvings are two different things.

R

Yeah, the one with the base does look a lot like the mayan/aztecs or whatever. The one without a base, however, looks more tiki. One of the charms (the chunky) looks pretty aztec but the other looks very tiki. I figure to each his own, and if anyone's willing to trade for them, then hit me up.

How can you tell anything about them at that postage stamp size??? Time to get the eyes checked.

R

Okay, better pics...
first we have the sytle with the base

next the one without a base (which looks less aztec/mayan

the first (thin) keychain/charm

chunky one

sorry a couple pics are blurry at this size

R

Man... still no offers. I would have thought someone would have an extra mug or style they didn't like and would be willing to trade. It's not like I'm asking for a Scorpion Bowl... I just want something to improve my collection slightly from the Kohl's/TJ Maxx level. And yes, I know I'm impatient.

Maybe cuz this is not tiki?

BTW, here's some stuff I'm selling or trading for anything tiki. Any takers?

Man,

TikiBot you've been on fire lately. I thought I was punchy but this week, but you win.

Rory,

Big bro is right, this is an informed crowd you are dealing with here. Most of us have a very concise vision of what we like or consider to be part of the "style". I am sure you have good intent but its just not the right kind of stuff.

Tiki Bot's response might seem sarcastic but its funny and somewhat correct.

Good luck with your Mexican trinkets. I have my own set that I purchased direct from the artisan in Mexico City right at the base of the Teotihuacan (sp?) pyramids. I like em but they sit in my office and not my lounge

R

It's okay, they look good on my shelf and I didn't pick up any I didn't want for myself.
I just thought someone would have some interest in them and an extra mug they didn't need... but I see the only thing in ample supply around here is sarcasm. Which makes sense, because tiki mugs cost money but being a butt is always free. I mean really, complain the pics are too small, then complain their too blury. You get what you get. If anyone wanted another look at it, I'd gladly take a few picks and send another. I won't put them up here because tikibot would probably then complain they're too large or taking up too much space on the internet that could otherwise be used to show his so-called wit.

Anyway, sorry I just don't shell out cash for tiki mugs... just have other priorities.

[ Edited by: Rorysm on 2005-03-11 13:34 ]

RR

On 2005-03-11 10:54, Tiki-bot wrote:
Maybe cuz this is not tiki?

BTW, here's some stuff I'm selling or trading for anything tiki. Any takers?

I will trade you my blurry picture for yours.

[ Edited by: Rob Roy on 2005-03-11 13:33 ]

T

I have that one already and frankly, those are a dime a dozen. Got anything SERIOUS you want to trade so we're not just wasting our time here?

R

You know, maybe not everyone has everything that's not fresh off the presses of Tiki-Farm or Munk-tiki. If you don't have any interest, and you don't have anything productive to add, then save my and yours time. Seriously, the previous posting pointed out the mexican look and even said in his opinion it wasn't tiki. Well fine... and he did it in a good, productive way. Besides, a few people apparently liked them enough to buy some, so maybe someone else on here has some interest in things that don't quite fit neatly into the limite defiition of tiki that applies to you (and since I said I wanted to trade for Tiki items then yes, it belongs here). Oh well... enough time wasted for one day. Got to go make some more money so I can shell it out on ebay as that seems to be the only way to get anything tiki if you don't live on the coastline.

[ Edited by: Rorysm on 2005-03-11 13:52 ]

R

Look what I just scored off ebay--and I sniped it at the last second so I screwed some guy out of his legit win...

Well I hope you're all happy now... i got my own blurry photo and the money didn't go to any real tiki enthusist who knows the difference between a fogcutter and a foggy picture. So I guess it's just another example of us getting screwed by the price-gauging collecter ripping capitolist ebayers. So go ahead and start bitching about how people like me are willing to shell out any amount of money on the blurry photo ebay circuit. I hope one day I own all the blurry photo's and there's none to go around to all of you who spend the better part of a day discussing the merits of the blurry photos and how much you are jealouse of those of us who are willing to take out a second mortgauge to buy quite a nice collection (which I'm not going to ever let anyone see ever again).

<I figure if you can't beat them, join them. :wink: It's amazing what time to vent will do to you>

I work for a living, so until I win the lottery, I'll just have to be content with my mug collection.BUT, I'll tell you one thing, when I DO win the lottery, I will be the Kohalacharms of blurry photos.

BTW,
Anyone want to trade something for this beauty?

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-12 22:22 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies