Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Blue Screen Of Death error message, please help!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I just bought a $1500 dollar Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop computer, and I can't use it.

It sets up ok, but when I have to do a restart, like after doing a Windows Update, I get a blue screen error message that says, "An error has been detected and Windows is shutting down to avoid damage" and after that is the stop message that reads "STOP: 0X0000007E (0X0000005, 0X00000000, 0XF7A4D0BC, 0XF7A4CDB8)."

The only way I can get around it is to do a system restore to factory settings, then set up an internet connection manually.

But then I can't do anything with it like install hardware or software or do any registrations or updates or anything.

Can anybody please help?

B

Sounds like you have either a hardware issue or a virus issue. Update your Anti virus program and run it . If it is a new machine it is Definately time to call Dell. They do have good support. Email me if I can help further. Hope this helps.

On 2005-03-13 08:12, Benzart wrote:
Sounds like you have either a hardware issue or a virus issue. Update your Anti virus program and run it . If it is a new machine it is Definately time to call Dell. They do have good support. Email me if I can help further. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ben. But contacting Dell has been by far the most frustrating customer service I have ever encountered. When talking to several "Dell Dimension Experts" (often being on hold for an hour or more!) they all told me the same thing off whatever script they are reading from. They all say, "Do a System Restore and use your computer normaly, then I will call back in a couple of hours and see what has happened." Nobody has told me anything useful.

B

Do you know how to reset the bios? When you first start your computerstart tapping the Delete key and the F1 key alternately to get into the bios. Do this from a Cold start meaning after you shut down, remove the power cord for about 30 seconds. You may get a message saying to press F1, or F2 or Delete keys to enter bios. Press which ever one it says. I just press them all one after the other until Bios comes up.. In bios, look for a screen to load system defaults and follow those steps.
The other thing you can do is remove the power cord and open the computer and reseat the memory and what ever cards are present. Put it back together and reboot to windows and see if it makes a difference.
I'll try to look up the error code to see if there are specifics about it.
I'll let you know later.

H

First update your antivirus software and run a full scan, then go to the dell website and make sure you have the latest drivers for all of your hardware.

After that, one approach to solving this problem is to run msconfig.exe. When msconfig is open, take a look at the start up tab. This will show all of the junk that loads when you start your computer. Most of these items you don't need. If you don't have a virus, chances are good that one of these start up items is causing your problems. You should do a google search on each item that loads and determine if you really need it. Check off the items you don't want loaded upon start up. Not only may this solve your problem, but your computer will possibly run faster.

Before the problem did you add any new software or hardware? Does the message mention any .sys or .dll errors or any .(whatever errors in the blue screen?
Don't know enough about your PC but here is a start...
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Stop+0x0000007E+restart

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-03-13 11:34 ]

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-03-13 11:36 ]

I'm sorry Fink, for this is such an "easy for you to say" reply but....send that piece of shit back.

Thanks for the advice everyone. After careful consideration and a lot of screaming and swearing, Unga Bunga, I believe you are right. I'm calling customer service tommorow and raising hell like they've never heard before! When I'm done, not only will they fix the problem, but I will get an upgrade and Bill Gates will deliver it to my door.

I'll post again when everything's well. Mahalo.

There is nothing on earth more #$%&*^%ing frustrating than when your computer pulls stuff like this! My sympathies!

T

On 2005-03-13 16:17, finkdaddy wrote:
I'm calling customer service tommorow and raising hell like they've never heard before! When I'm done, not only will they fix the problem, but I will get an upgrade and Bill Gates will deliver it to my door.

I'll post again when everything's well. Mahalo.

As some one who deals with Tech support quite alot, Good Luck and my Sympathy. If you got the Dell onsite service, make them send someone out. Then it's someone elses problem and you'll get a quicker fix.

Send it back... get a Mac!

Well, I'm finally getting help, although I'm not getting anything
extra in return. We are doing a system exchange. They're sending me a
brand new tower, and when it gets here I'm sending back the one I have
now. They said it will be shipped via overnight either today or
tommorrow morning. This is what I settled for when I was transfered
customer returns from software support.

Here is what happened when I talked to software support... After being
transfered a couple of times I got a hold of a woman named Laura. I
explained my problem and she asked me if I purchaced the software
support package. I said no, I just got the 1 year standard package.
She said in order to help me I would have to order a software support
package and she would be happy to explain all the availiable offers. I
asked if she was telling me I had to spend more money on a $1500
system to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there to begin with.
She said no and that I shouldn't put words into her mouth. I said
please transfer me to Returns so I can send back your $1500 piece of
crap and I assured her that Gateway would be happy to have my
business. She said (and I swear this is true) that Gateway would
charge me a dollar per minute for software support. I asked if she was
serious and she explained that she was. I said that this is exactly
what I was talking about, and yes, I still want to return my $1500
piece of shit. She said have a good day and patched me through to
Returns.

The lady who answered the call there explained that the return desk
wasn't open until 9 and was there anything she could help me with. I
told her that I have a brand new $1500 computer that doesn't work and
that Dell has the absolute worst technical and customer support I have
ever had the displeasure of dealing with and the fact that I even had
to wait to return this damned thing further expresses my unhappiness.
Then without even asking what my actual problem was she wanted to know
if I would except a system exchange. I agreed and she appologized over
and over and explained that my new computer was being built as we
spoke and it would be shipped overnight express asap.

I know I should have asked for more, but I was so relieved that this
would be settled that I didn't say anything else.

B

Way to go. At least you got somthing in exchange for the rude support you received earlier. I used to do phone tech support for a Large computer manufacturer and problems like you had were rare, but when you got transferred to a returns desk, you found they had a lot of lattitude.When she got your call, she most likley saw ALL of your call history on her screen before you even said hello. There is no excuse for anyone having to endure the low level of tech support that is available nowadays.
Let us know how your new unit works.

On 2005-03-17 12:57, finkdaddy wrote:
She said (and I swear this is true) that Gateway would charge me a dollar per minute for software support. I asked if she was serious and she explained that she was.

This is indeed true, they even charge you for the time you're on hold. The local news 'consumer reports guy' did a piece on it and you had to enter a CC# to get to hold. I didn't see how it ended, I have a mac, it never breaks :)

I came home last night and Mr. Pineapple's computer (a PC) had the same error message, it was quite ominous, mostly because MY iPod was hooked up to his computer, and all the music files are on it...He fixed it, don't know how.

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-03-19 21:57 ]

Understand Mrs P, I wasn't doubting that Gateway charges per minute for customer service. I was just so shocked that that was her response when I said I wanted to take my business to another company. She didn't want to help me, she was just telling me that Gateway's crappy service was worse than Dell's crappy service so I should be happy and shut up. I was furious!

Anyway, I'm expecting the new computer on Monday morning. We'll see how that goes.

Microsoft charges by the minute for customer service too, I called them about buying multiple licenses for Office, and I had to enter a CC# to get put on hold. What the hell is up with that?
That's just crazy, seriously, is Microsoft not making enough money?

I'm glad you got your computer fixed!

Pages: 1 15 replies