Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki restoration and filling, sculpting, and identification

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey ya crazy artists.

I just picked up a new pole, or, my only pole, at an auction here in Petaluma. It was quite an impromptu stop too, but I am so glad I went.

Anyhoo, the piece is in dire need of some love, I can see where it's been outside for awhile. There are remnants of the old stain, and maybe even some paint on it. No bugs (that I've seen), and the wood isn't rotting, but very dry. It was able to withstand my manhandling, so that's good.

I was wondering if someone had some tips on restoration, specifically filling in the gap in its teeth, and the wood split. Or, would it be best to just sand it smooth and refinish it?

Also, if anyone's got a clue what it is, even what wood... let me know.

more detailed pictures are here:
http://www.monkeyinmyhead.com/pole/

Thanks so much!

eep!

[ Edited by: tikimonkey on 2005-03-14 07:30 ]

The grain looks to me like some kind of palm, but I live in Canada, so what the heck do I know! :wink:

Really beautiful pole though, great score! I'm sure that's a dream find for 90% of the members here.

I wish you success on your restoration project, I'd probably try to seal it and maybe do something with the paint remnants, but other than that leave the chips and cracks as-is, to me they add character and mystery.

Whatever you do, have fun! I can't wait to see the progress pics!
And once again, congratulations!

B

Excellent find tikimonkey. It is Definately a Palm trunk, what kind is hard to tell, but it seems to be in Very good shape considering. This was carved by an Excellent artist who new his tools. I wouldn't do very much to it other than clean it and seal the wood. I think Natural is the way to go and leave the paint thats there as it is. If you start sanding, you may lose a few more chunks. Keep it , Love it and enjoy the tiki peeps looking at it with Envy.Excellwnt pole!
happyHappyHappy

p.s. the orangy stuff looks like rust, maybe it was attached to something via a metal strap?

On 2005-03-13 13:06, Benzart wrote:
I wouldn't do very much to it other than clean it and seal the wood. I think Natural is the way to go and leave the paint thats there as it is.

That sounds like a good plan. There are some cigarette burns I want to get rid of first though. I have a dremel that should do that nicely. Cleaning and sealing though, not sure how. What to use?

On 2005-03-13 15:26, Tikiwahine wrote:
p.s. the orangy stuff looks like rust, maybe it was attached to something via a metal strap?

It does look like that in the picture, but it's definitely old finish. There is a nailhole in the center of it though... so you may not be far off.

wow! thats nice. I wouldnt touch it at all. those are all marks that make up the history of a wonderful old tiki.

Nad identification? Ummmm isn't that a 'private' thing? Best discussed between you and your doctor?

Awesome tiki. Ya lucky bastard.
TG

S

I agre with C.S., don't touch it. The cracks and marks and stuff give it more presence. And even sealing it is not needed if you are not putting it back outside. Let it keep it's age and it iwll stay the way it is for decades. The marks are it's character and tells it's history.

Pages: 1 7 replies