Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Palm Springs

Pages: 1 22 replies

We have a ton of great tiki destinations here in Palm Springs, but one that few know about is a tiki housing development called the Green Fairway Estates by the Alexander Construction Company and designed by Donald Wexler. To start off this topic, here's a link:

http://www.desertmodernism.com/greenfairway.html

Enjoy!

Too divine for words. Modernism and tiki -- two of my greatest loves, combined.

Do you live in this development?

In my humble opinion, since this development does not seem to use any Polynesian name or further Polynesian design concepts, (unlike the Royal Hawaiian Estates, which also used lava rock and Tikis in the landscaping), it seems a little forced to call it "Tiki".

It would be interesting to hear directly from Donald Wexler what he remembers his influences were in designing those houses.
The A-frame and outrigger beams WERE a hallmark of Tiki temples, yes, but they initially came from Asia/Japan. So if Wexler says Polynesian, fine, but otherwise I would hesitate to cry "Tiki" at every lil' pitched/beamed roof.
A-frames and rock walls were features in many mid-century buildings that had nothing to do with Tiki.

Tiki in Palm Springs??? Maybe we should hold an annual gathering there to celebrate and tour all things tiki and modern. What do people think?

BigBro, how would you characterize this one? (from the online brochure):

http://www.desertmodernism.com/royalsingapore2.jpg

A

Tiki in Palm Springs??? Maybe we should hold an annual gathering there to celebrate and tour all things tiki and modern. What do people think?

What kind of weirdos would want to go to Palm Springs for a tiki event? C'mon Tiki-Bot, get real!

-Randy

On 2005-03-14 11:14, aquarj wrote:

What kind of weirdos would want to go to Palm Springs for a tiki event? C'mon Tiki-Bot, get real!

-Randy

Sounds like a great event, but I'd bet they'd hold it on a holiday like Mother's Day!! :wink:

On 2005-03-14 11:04, Satan's Sin wrote:

Well, at least the name seems themed, and the A-frame is more pitched and the beam is heavily stylized, but it actually points to the very cross-pollination I mentioned above: The ASIAN origins of the A-frame concept. If it doesn't have Lava rock, Tiki sculpting or torches, I would call it mid-century modern EXOTICA.

If it doesn't have Lava rock, Tiki sculpting or torches, I would call it mid-century modern EXOTICA.

I have never heard of "mid-century modern exotica," at least as an architectural style -- but I like it!

When I win the lottery I plan on making an obscene offer for this property, putting lava rock and tikis everywhere, and fitting in a doorbell whose chime is "Quiet Village."

TM

I tend to agree with Sven. My house has outrigger beams and an A-frame style, but I never really considered it tiki. When I describe it I use "Mid-Century Asian". In fact, the first thing we did after moving in was rip out all the ivy in the front and put in a Japanese Garden. My wahine won't let me put a Tiki in the front because of the clashing styles. Anyway, I'm definately checking out the 'hood in May!

Tiki Mugs, Vintage, Tiki Bars, Carved Tiki Poles, Apparel and more!
Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-03-14 16:42 ]

Hi, yes, I do own one of the units in the Green Fairway Estates development. Ask me anything you like.

I should note right away that there are rumors of 5202 E Lakeside going up to sale soon. I don't have a picture of this home on my website, but it is the same model as the following home (i.e. "The Wentworth"):

http://www.desertmodernism.com/wentworth2.jpg

The woman who lived there went sort of nuts and was recently taken away by her sister. Keep an eye on it if you're interested.

Most residents have no idea that they live in Wexler-designed Alexander homes... I'm now just getting the word out to them. As you can see, many of the owners have done terrible things to the homes, including lopping off the jutting beams from their delightful A-frame roofs. However, some remain and I have faith that the others will be restored over time.

As for the tiki'ness or Hawaiian'ness of the units, my understanding is that Wexler's partner Harrison was a huge fan of these features and was probably responsible for integrating them into these designs. I am still researching this and discussing it with Mr. Wexler; I will post additional info on the site as I learn more.

Thanks guys for appreciating these units.. I have had fun doing the research and getting the word out.

Tikidude3:

Are the interiors "modern?" Open and airy? Do you have pictures of an interior? I know Palm Springs has a lot of mid-century re-sale shops -- are vintage items showing up in the interiors?

How long have you had your house? Was the kitchen original? Were they well built?

Tiki Matt:

Here is one way you might be able to trick your wahine. Say that, in order to complement the Asian theme, you want to introduce some "Hawaiian" elements. Asia and Hawaii go together quite naturally. But be careful! Don't buy any tikis at first! Just gradually introduce bamboo and matting and so on, and then one day, a small tiki ... and before she knows it, it'll be too late.

TM

On 2005-03-14 18:51, Satan's Sin wrote:

Tiki Matt:

Here is one way you might be able to trick your wahine. Say that, in order to complement the Asian theme, you want to introduce some "Hawaiian" elements. Asia and Hawaii go together quite naturally. But be careful! Don't buy any tikis at first! Just gradually introduce bamboo and matting and so on, and then one day, a small tiki ... and before she knows it, it'll be too late.

Good advice, but she's into Tiki too! She just won't have it in the front yard. Oh well, we have 4 in the back, so that will have to do.

I'll be posting interior shots in the near future! Yes, the floorplan is very open and airy with tons of windows.

Ah ha! this is a type of home even my husband can get behind. I love mid-century modern styled homes, but he dislikes flat roof styles. The peaks with out-riggers are way cool. Thanks for sharing with us and please keep us up-dated as you learn more.

TM

Visions of Eichler....

D

Very nice web site!!! Although I agree with BigBro on the tiki factor. It doesn't seem particularly tiki, although there are definate Polynesian aspects to a couple of the designs. It looks more like Googie style.

On 2005-03-14 11:34, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2005-03-14 11:04, Satan's Sin wrote:

Well, at least the name seems themed, and the A-frame is more pitched and the beam is heavily stylized, but it actually points to the very cross-pollination I mentioned above: The ASIAN origins of the A-frame concept. If it doesn't have Lava rock, Tiki sculpting or torches, I would call it mid-century modern EXOTICA.

Sven: I'm about to update the website. Are you pretty set on this term ("mid-century modern exotica")?

Also, any other editorial suggestions you can make concerning the website?

Thanks for your input!

tikidude3 wrote:
http://www.desertmodernism.com/wentworth2.jpg

...As for the tiki'ness or Hawaiian'ness of the units, my understanding is that Wexler's partner Harrison was a huge fan of these features and was probably responsible for integrating them into these designs...

Take a look at this picture again. I can just imagine having 3 HUGE tikis (my personal preference of ChikiTiki, TikiTony & CrazyAl pieces) where the current three large bush-thingies stand on front of the rock wall (also remove that little bush on front of the rock wall). The lights on the ground are already positioned! Remove the three furthermost left bushes (keeping the sago at the front door), and placing a huge BenzArt mask on the flat wall!

Now that would be bringing tiki & modernism together!

Sven: I'm about to update the website. Are you pretty set on this term ("mid-century modern exotica")?

Also, any other editorial suggestions you can make concerning the website?

Thanks for your input!

I think that's a little long, maybe "Modern Exotica" or "Exotica modern" ?
(..or "exotique moderne"...or"ExotiCal modern", hinting that it originated in California?)

I'm sorry, but which website?

Dear Friends,

I have now added a recently uncovered survey map of the Green Fairway Estates area. Enjoy!

http://www.desertmodernism.com/greenfairway.html

[ Edited by: tikidude3 on 2005-05-22 11:26 ]

tikidude~ great pics! i would love to own one of these. a couple of questions for you: these homes are built on a golf course right? if so is the club house done in a poly/asian style? if that is the case do you have pics of it?

thanks,
dh

Alas, we have no clubhouse here. There is a hotel located on the golf course but it appears modern to me (as in post-1970). How cool would that have been, though?

Pages: 1 22 replies