Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first public tiki bar installations... Fountain added 4-20-05

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

I meet this week with restaurant owners who are opening a tropical/tiki themed place on lakefront property. Trying to restrain my excitement and hoping this works out... they sought me out which is a good thing. Sounds like time is of the essence so I could be quite busy.

Tiki is returning to Wisconsin.

I'll post updates when I find out more and I'll show progress on this thread...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-04-05 21:26 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-04-19 21:06 ]

Where exactly?

TG

Awesome Lake. Been a long time coming for you. Congrats. Hope it all works out for ya!

Rock On......

G.

Congrats , From what I have read your do. The wind here is blowing from the west , So I burned some shavings as a offering for ya.

I have layed all my chisels out to form the work "LAKE". I bow down to them and pay homage to the tiki gods and ask that they bestow success upon you.

Excellent news. You have earned it.

S

Good Luck LakeSurfer. Sounds like the kind of break we all wish for.
When we first moved to the little town we now reside in, there was a cool little restaurant called Hawaii Kai. The place was nicely decorated inside, but they had no Tikis. This seemed like a Godsend. It was owned by a Hawaiian/Irish(?!)woman who was a retired Polynesian entertainer. I thought maybe after we ate there a few times, I could get around to striking up a conversation and maybe even donate a couple of TIkis for display.
It was a good plan, but the food was horrible and the service was worse. Still, I thought if I just choked down a couple meals I could get in with these folks and maybe make something happen. A month later they went out of business. Now it's a bar with Karaoke, that serves Guinness, so they call themselves an British pub.

Hope your story ends better than mine!

That is sensational! Fingers and toes all crossed this works out!

M

Sacrificing small rodents tonight at the firepit bruddah! Good Luck! I am sure your work will blow them away! Mahalo!

Tiki's with CheeseHeads?

WI? WI NOT!

A big break, and you get a tiki bar to hang out in. Great news. If the bar owner needs a reference, send him to TC.

B

Way to go Laker, you have earned it. I don't think you need any voodoo because you got it In the Bag, bro. All that hard work may start paying off now for you.
Yeay Lake, Yeay Lake, Yeaaay Lake.
HappyHappyHappy

mana o'plenty to you, lad! all the best.

D

excellent news Lake Surfer!!

i hope this makes up for that art festival where people passed you by!

hey Seamus: is Waldport Oregon anywhere near Vancouver WA? because Patrick's Hawaiian Cafe is a place with excellent food and service, a fun tropical/hawaiian atmosphere, but sadly is a tiki-free zone! if you get a chance to go sometime, it sure could use a touch of tiki!

elicia

Way Cool!

Thanks all! Today's the day... I trudge off this afternoon through a blinding snowstorm... hopefully to find a tiki paradise...

Killer news Lake! I hope the mana is flowing your way today. Let us all now how it goes.
chongolio

Dave, this is a long time coming. CONGRATS - You deserve this!

cool stuff lake! Hope all goes well!

Cool LS, TCB!

TG

Lake what's up? Any news? Did I miss something here?

G.

It is a go...
I have a large wish list from the owners...

I have a lot of work ahead of me... hanging lamp shades, a four foot tiki fountain, an eight foot pole, my tiki lamps and electric tiki torch sconces...

Opening date is May 20th.

Oh, and thank you all so much for your kind words and support... it means a ton!

Watch for pictures...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-03-21 11:16 ]

K

cool!!! good luck! and congrats

I am so shickled by this piece of news...especially for Lake Surfer, who is finally getting the local recognition he deserves...for all artists who answer the call of their muse even when no one around "gets it"...for the folks who will get a little tropical sunshine amid the snowdrifts. Very exciting indeed.

WHOA! I just looked again at that opening date! Take your vitamins, LS, you're gonna need 'em!

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-03-21 11:27 ]

Way cool dude! Congrats!

TG

Awesome. Cool deals Lake. Sounds like you best be gettin' busy!

Good for you dude,

G.

Congrats once again.

Wow, that's some list of pieces that they're asking you to deliver! I know you'll do a beautiful job as usual!

S

Good for you man! Congrats. I guess persistence really does pay off.

T

Seems like it was just yesterday when you were complaining about no takers at the local show.

May 20th?...you'd better get carving!

Wish you well

You've hit the BIG time. Way to go Lake!!

!NICE! Now get get off the box, load the player with tunes, pick up them chisels and start chippin'
Progress pic when you have time please.
Congrats lake,
Chongolio

B

Get to work Lake, Just don't let the time deadline influence your work.I'm sure if the guy sees Quality work coming (rather than quantity) he will give you all the time you need. Tikis are items that can be added as they are created and the purchaser has to know from you that quality means more than the deadline. Just have him figure which ones are the most important to have before opening day and do those first. That is IF you have issues with the deadline.

M

Awesome Lake. Have fun with this as well.

great news for you bro! the wife and I are very happy for you. good things come to those who make it happen.

Congratulations, Lake

I've been waiting for your hard work and talent to create a market out there for you. And now it looks like it's starting. I guess no surfing for a while, eh?

Sabu

Finally. The wife and I just finished a move into a new upper flat about a mile north of where we were. And today I moved the last of my logs from the old place to the new. Spent the afternoon setting up the new workshop.

Time to get to work.

Thanks again for the kind words of support!

Hey, good luck LS. Is this gonna be your new "day job"? (Something we all dream about).

Naw, could never make a living here in the midwest doing tikis... I just got lucky finally and someone decided to open a tropical theme eatery. Being in their backyard gives me a chance to make a little pocket change.

D

Great news,Lakesurfer! Where in Wisconsin is this tropical paradise going to be?Tell,tell!

T

So this fountain is going to be made of wood? And is it going to be hollowed out some for the wet work to go into it? You will have to tell us where the opening day is and then some TCs can have drinks and the place will have a spike in business cause of you.

On 2005-03-21 11:25, purple jade wrote:
I am so shickled by this piece of news...

"shickled" ?

Lake,

Happy to hear about your project. Must be a great feeling to have an entire restaurant as your canvas. Future tikiheads will be debating, discovering, discussing who carved for this place on Tikicentral.MKII.

Congrats! Can't wait to see your fountain.

-Z

As in "shickled titless".

MD

Congratulations Lake, Long time coming.....Maybe now there will be less of "whats a tiki" thing going on up there.
Lake Surfer..........expanding the frontiers of tiki.

On 2005-03-23 07:21, teaKEY wrote:
So this fountain is going to be made of wood?

Yes... inspired by Keigs as of late and my obsession with the Witco Fountain... and since I haven't had the time or space for one of my own I thought this would be a great opportunity to finally get one done. If it works out good I will do more... and I might even have one or two for sale at Exotica.

Location?
For now I'll just let you know that the location is within a 30-45 minute drive from Milwaukee... More info to come!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-03-23 10:48 ]

Yesterday I went shopping for supplies for the fountain and a gallon of new stain and poly...

Today the work began. I got the 7 foot log all sanded and ready for it's transformation into a tiki pole... it will stand next to the hostess stand in the front of the restaurant.

Back in the shop I drew out the pattern...

With the surf tunes on the stereo I cranked out some progress over three hours today... this is a delicate carving in many spots and I have to resist the urge to go swinging away at it like I do on the big logs...

More work to continue Saturday morning... updates to come...

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Apr 2, 2005 8:24 AM

Yeah LS! You are one of so many stories I think about from Hukilau. I am so glad you are reaping some mana.

M

Lookin good Surfer. Keep goin! Show them what you got. If yer using a chisel, and the pic shows your efforts over 3 hours, then I presume you: Take no breaks, You don't smoke, or drink beverages during the carving ritual, and if your Wahine wants to talk, she's outa luck! Your charging on this one and it's lookin good. Hope to see more soon!

Damn if this isn't a cool place!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Hey lake,
I'm glad to hear this deal really worked out for you. I remember that summer festival fiasco...

That tiki is going to be very cool! I can't wait to see what it's all going to look like when finished. Thanks for the in progress shots...and 3 hours?!?!?! Man that's good.

Pages: 1 2 70 replies