Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first public tiki bar installations... Fountain added 4-20-05

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

Thanks all...

Saturday I took some time off...

Sunday was a splendid spring day here so I took the logs outside to work on...

Carving away on the 7 foot pole...
That's the beginnings of the tiki fountain in the background...

Progress made... hope to start on sanding Monday afternoon after carving the last face...

I'm picking up a load of fresh logs Monday morning... one of the cuts will be a section of tree trunk. That will become the bowl for the tiki fountain I'm doing also. I treated myself to a Lancelot for my angle grinder this weekend and am going to use that to carve out the bowl. Should go quick.

These projects are a blast... can't wait to start carving Monday again!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-04-03 21:40 ]

Day 3 of the tikis for Kahuna's Restaurant and Bar... Picked up a load of new logs of which included a couple cuts that are going to be bowls for tiki fountains. Went to town with the newly purchased Lancelot... still getting the hang of that gadget... the rough cut of the bowls turned out good...

Finished up carving on the pole... did a rough sand... hope to stain on Tuesday...

Started on the legs of the fountain tiki...

It is all coming together...

That is really looking nice, Lake! The grain's gonna look so bitchin' on that pole, especially near the top. Lots of character in the wood and a really nice design. The Lancelot rough-out grind pattern on the fountain bowls is unmistakeable. I really like that tool too, but it took me a few kicks to get the hang of it. I quickly learned not to let my attention wander whilst wielding it.... Thanks for all of the good pix.

That tiki looks great. Cant wait to see what the fountain looks like. I too use the lancelot and found that this tool here works great for cleaning up after using the lancelot.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=33253&cat=1,130,43409,43424&ap=1

thanks for sharing

Thanks guys!

The pole is finished!

On to the fountain!

C

Great work as usual LSurfer...can't wait
to hear more about the new Tiki establishment in Wisc...finally a place
within a decent drive of the northwoods!

Damn that's beautiful.

I want one :)

-Z

B

Lake, these sure are looking great. Very nice stain and finish too. Can't wait to see the whole shebang.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2005 3:57 AM

Go Lake! I want to see the fountain. Lancelots rock huh? Awesome works.

The 7-footer turned out sweet. Do you have a specific spot in mind for it?

It'll be close to the entrance of the restaurant, near the hostess stand... as soon as people walk in the door the pole will be standing over them. I'll post pictures of them when they are installed...

K

Dang, that thing looks killer.

It'll be close to the entrance of the restaurant, near the hostess stand... as soon as people walk in the door the pole will be standing over them. I'll post pictures of them when they are installed...

Well, I finally finished the fountain. Quite the project... but once I worked all the bugs out it worked like a charm. My next one's will go smoother now that I know how to go about it. Carving the tiki is the easiest part!

Thanks again Keigs for the inspiration and the tips you gave me last year!

Within a month or so I hope to have pictures of the tikis in their restaurant environment... I drop them off this week, but the opening isn't for a while yet.

Wow Lakesurfer...fantastic fountain....
can't wait to see all of your stuff in the
new bar!

T

Always wanted to do something like this on my pound. Looks great.... I am amazed

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-04-20 06:03 ]

very cool, lake! those tiki establishments are going to look awesome. Can't wait for the pics!

beautiful as always

can't wait to see it in its' new home.

-Z

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

J

Okay Lake Surfer where do I sign up to buy a fountain? :) Looks awesome!

Is there a tube running down his backside or is it inside. However you did it , thats on cool fountain. The new owners should be very pleased to have it.

Kaaablaaammo!

Pages: 1 2 70 replies