Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

2005 AAA Hawai'i TourBook

Pages: 1 9 replies

The cover has a brace of tikis on it from the Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park. It doesn't list La Mariana, The Hawaiiana hotel, Chuck's or Buzz's Steak Houses, however. Gotta read Tiki Central for that kind of info. No mention of International Marketplace that I could find. Is that Pau yet? Hope someone is monitoring what's going on there.
KG

J
JTD posted on Thu, Mar 17, 2005 12:30 PM

On 2005-03-17 12:18, Kailuageoff wrote:
...It doesn't list La Mariana, The Hawaiiana hotel, Chuck's or Buzz's Steak Houses, however. Gotta read Tiki Central for that kind of info. No mention of International Marketplace that I could find...

KG

So, does this mean you're using your pull to keep tiki underground? :wink:

...ALSO please someone monitor the construction/destruction on Lewers street, and see how far Beachwalk is affected, in the interest of Chuck's Steakhouse, The Hawaiiana and The Breakers.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:12 ]

You gotta get something for The Jab from Chuck's, he'll be so sad to hear this...and for Gecko...and Lloyd...and me...SIGH

Since Chuck's is in the bottom of the Edgewater hotel, is the hotel coming down too? What gives? This really sucks. That's the hotel my mom and dad stayed in on their first trip to Hawaii in the mid-50's and the first hotel I stayed in as a kid in 1969.

I was on the phone to the Hawaiiana yesterday
making reservations for a short visit. I asked
about the status of construction on Lewers St. and the lady at the hotel said it was quiet for now, something about a complication with investors. She added that at night Lewers St is unlit and kind of weird. I also asked about Chuck's. Unfortunately, she said it was closing at the end of March. I hope she is wrong. I will not be there until April and I will miss seeing it.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-03-24 10:29 ]

T

*On 2005-03-24 10:25, mrtikibar wrote:*I also asked about Chuck's. Unfortunately, she said it was closing at the end of March.

sniff :cry:

Losing Chuck's and International Marketplace is like a final shredding of Waikiki's remaining tiki remnants. I'm so glad we were able to go last year. We went to Chuck's on two different nights, but the best was the night we hung out with Gecko and meet his bartender friend. Mogambo met us there as well. I'm sorry I can't remember the bartender's name, but the guy worked for Donn Beach in the old days and made the best Mai-Tai in the islands. I'm sure Gecko is more bummed out about this than anyone.
KG

T

I stayed at the HAWAIIANA HOTEL on BEACH WALK about 2 weeks ago and they told me that there were no plans to close...but...with all that destruction going on in WAIKIKI on Lewers Street it looks a bit close.
Walking down Lewers Street now is very sad, several blocks are all boarded up. It will take 2 years in construction but when it re opens it will be designed for a high end clientel...
The AUCTION is going on TODAY in WAIKIKI for the closing restaurants. It is all over the local news shows here in HAWAII. There is a BIKINI store there also that is closing and the store is decorated in a bunch of TIKIS.

Pages: 1 9 replies