Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Helping all to find your # 1 mug...UPDATED 7/23/05!

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

I think we should start a list of the # 1 mug everybody would like to have. That way, if I know so and so wants a certain mug and I happen to see it, I can pick it up for them, and we all can do the same (I guess this would only apply to vintage mugs). Or start trading for your favorite mug.

For me, still no luck, so I have expanded my list a little, here it goes...first mug I'm looking for was made by Into The Volcano that is on the inside cover of Tiki News Magazine # 17, the mug that looks cracked with the tongue sticking out. The second mug I'm looking for is Munktiki's Digs. The third mug I'm looking for was made by Tiki Bob's and other restaurants. It is mug with the green eyes and his tongue sticking out.

I have lots of mugs to trade for these mugs or will even purchase. If you have these mugs to trade, send me a pm with what you would like in trade or a $.

Thanks!

Atomicchick

[ Edited by: atomicchick 2005-08-11 21:43 ]

Oh, I don't ask for much...just that Stephen Crane Tiki bowl, the one with the Luau Tikis supporting the bowl decorated with those midcentury modern leaf patterns. A cinch.

I'll take one of those Ren Clark severed heads, please!

The SHAG mug that's in his night of the tiki painting "The Incredible Bartender", to match my print.

Not dying without it though.

I was debating about posting. But what the hell:

My grail is the Mauna Loa Drum mug

followed by the Chin Tiki mug and finally the other Mauna Loa mugs. Are you sensing a Detroit theme here?

should anyone have one to spare, feel free to email me with proposed donations or blue light specials.

-Z

(seriously, aside from a generous saint or 2, why would the average person give up a rare mug cheaply when they could put it on Ebay and pay a full month worth of gas... call me jaded, but have you seen the prices at the pumps lately?)

mine is a Frankoma war god so if anyone has an extra just let me know!!!

P

Vintage Don the Beachcomber Rum Barrell.

to bigbro,do you have a pic of the bowl you seek? TD

So many mugs.... Right now I would like to find a Trader Vics Starboard Light mug. The green glass one please, not the ceramic one. I have an extra Port Light mug that I am willing to trade for it, or I am happy to pay a reasonable sum if that is preferred.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-18 09:36 ]

TD

what the heck, I'll through my hat in.

my ultimate, can't live without it mug is the Chin Tiki mug!

R

Mine is the TJMaxx suffering bastard with oil infused red beans in it.

Not really... as I said on another topic-I want the Reagan Politiki mug most.

On 2005-03-18 07:03, TIKI DAVID wrote:
to bigbro,do you have a pic of the bowl you seek? TD

Yeah, in the menu...or on page 77 and 78 of Tiki Quest.

mine #1 would be a lanai fog cutter mug. or a t3 or a kahiki mystery bowl or a mai kai mystery bowl or kowloon signature tiki mug and so on and so on and so on.

MT

I have an idea. Why don't we create a thread or forum for people to trade mugs? No selling, only trading. People can post whatever they have to trade, what they're looking for, etc. It could be a thread in Tiki MarketPlace, or it could be it's own forum. Who knows, someone might be willing to trade an extra mauna loa drum mug or something equally as rare, for 3 or 4 other limited edition mugs, or prints, or whatever. But you could also trade some of your regular less exclusive mugs that you have extra of, or are tired of, for something different.

You can call the thread "Tiki Trading", or something similar. I'm not going to be crushed if this doesn't happen, but it seems like there is enough interest for it to work - most people that I know pick up an extra limited edition mug when available to use to trade for other mugs, rather than selling on ebay, which I think kind of fits the Aloha Spirit better. What does everyone think of this idea? Hanford? Martin? Mig?

PI

It took me awhile to decide what my ultimate mug would be, because I basically have nothing (most of my mugs are newer ones from the Mai Kai). I love the Coco Joe's Volcano mug from Tiki Quest page #22.

T

Looks like me and FeeZom are going to be fistfighting over the Mauna Loa wares. Damn! Yes, I want a Mauna Loa mug. But actually I'm quite easy to please, I want the regular tiki mug, not the drum or polynesian pigeon (though those would be nice!)

I've always wanted the OMC mug on page 9 in Tiki Quest.

Aaaah, ze Andres Bumatay, oui oui, a fine specimen...
To think that me and the Beachbum bought ours at the Hale Kahiki in 1996, they were still serving their cocktails in them then.

TM

Got an extra Sven? =]

Wish I would, it would be yours. Jeff and I were seriously stoked that the Hale Kahiki was such a time warp. I wanted one since I had seen the one OA has in their display case, their's has the best detail and colorization! These just don't seem to pop up that often...

TM

I wanted one since I had seen the one OA has in their display case, their's has the best detail and colorization!

Same here! I've had my eye on that sucker for a long time. I'd also like to get my hands on that OA mug they have on display(you know, the one on the bottom shelf laying on it's side). Now that I think about it, that one is my new Holy Grail, though the Bumatay mug is a very close second.

T

I would like to second Mai Tai's suggestion that we start a "Tiki Trading" thread. I would much rather trade to a fellow TCer than sell to a stranger. I make a new friend and get a new mug. All without fees!

J

It might also be a good idea to post pictures of your "Holy Grail" mug so that those of us who don't know what it looks like will be able to recognize it if and when we stumble upon it at our local thift store or swap shop. Just a suggestion.

S

That Mauna Loa drum mug was just on ebay. Big money.

My Grail is thee original Kahiki Mystery Bowl that looks likee the Mai Kai bowl. I have never seen it. It's on my old drink menu and the Mystery Lady holds it in the postcard, so it did exist...

One I am seeking is the Blue Hawaii barrel mug.

H

The Tongue Tiki mug made for Steve Crane. Last one went for $300+ on Ebay. So I am dreaming and dreaming and....

Mine would be the Luau 400 mug & the Hawaii Kai mug with the the hula girl in the Tiki's mouth.

I have many holy grails, (including that Bumatay mug), but since I value local history most, I would choose the old Sam's Seafood Maori tiki mug as my number 1 goal.

Here you can see them sitting on the gift-store shelves in an old Sam's Seafood postcard:

The mug matches the logo on the menu and matchbooks and is a classic Maori design that appears on many New Zealand postcards:

If you look at the first postcard, you can also see some giant volcano bowls on the floor featuring three of these tikis. Here's the inside of the menu, which shows both the mug and bowl:

As far as I know, Traderpup is the only person to have seen one of these mugs appear on Ebay, and that was over four years ago. No one's ever seen the bowl outside the postcard, as far as I know. Gotta be one of the rarest custom designs out there.

Sabu

R

Maybe we should start a thread about cheap or crappy mugs we want. Something that would cost under 20 bucks but not too common on Ebay. Then we could probably help fill out each others collections.

T

Hey hiltiki - there's another Steve Crane on ebay. How high do you think it will go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3967728303&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

On 2005-03-30 07:43, bongofury wrote:
Mine would be..... the Hawaii Kai mug with the the hula girl in the Tiki's mouth.

Oh well, Ron...hmm-hmmmmm: I trade you the one I have, which is the one in the BOT, against your.....Aloha Jhoe's !!! (my SECRET Holy Grail)

J

I'm shocked that Sven has a holy grail! Who would think the Godfather of Tiki is still on the trail of his illusive mug? :)

H

Tikiphil, I am well aware of this one and am watching it like a hawk. I have been saving for this one for a while, I just hope Kohalacharms is not reading this. If you know what I mean....We'll just have to wait and see....

R

All i've got is this actual Holy Grail... you know, the one from the Bible. I got it from some aging archeologist (who carried a bullwhip, by the way--what's that for, getting his TA's to help grade undergrad papers?) and his Scottish father. Anyone want to trade a reagan politiki mug for it?

T

On 2005-03-30 21:21, hiltiki wrote:
I just hope Kohalacharms is not reading this. If you know what I mean....We'll just have to wait and see....

KC sees all...I'm sure he's seen it. But I think he has 2 already anyway...

Hey Rory that's impossible! Don't you remember Indy was told by his father to let it go when the temple started crumbling? :)

R

That Indy's a shifty character---I hear he grabbed it at the last minute, then hid from god's wrath by pretending to be an Amish man or something.

J

Ah, now it's all making sense! Okay then I'll trade you the Reagan Politiki mug for the "Cup of Christ!" :)

H

So exactly what are my chances of winning this mug??? We'll just have to wait and see...:drink:

M

Of all the non vintage mugs this was my #1 most Wanted...

I had a frien visiting Japan and he picked up 2 for me!

Anyone want the second one? I'm thinking of sending it to e-bay, unless someone's got a suffering bastard to trade.

M

"Becanzo"(sp) is very high on my list also, you got mail.

Aloha Centralites!

I thought long and hard about posting this in here or in its own thread and decided to go with the former.

As you know, I will be getting married soon and my fiance suggested that we find some kind of Tiki themed champagne flues for our official toast.

In her unknowing exuberance she found those really horrible plastic goblets on eBay, you know those new ones with the pink, purple and aqua on them?

Well, I would like help finding two Morganstown Trader Vics Champagne Flues, if they exist, and of course will happily pay for them. If not, I will happily pay for the Martini glasses if someone has an extra two they are willing to part with or two people with a single glass that matches the other.

Please save me from the horrible plastic tiki goblets! PLEASE!

Aloha
-CMC

PS - Does anyone know any cleansing rituals for being inflicted with new plastic tiki items? I feel dirty for just being in their presence. :)

TD

FIRE

While there are many a mug I've coveted, the Shag Tall Ratongo, second edition mug (the brown one) still eludes me. I have the entire first edition (with a duplicate) and all in the second edition except for this one. I have a Shag Tall Ratongo first edition mug (the gold one)I am willing to trade if anyone is interested. Please complete me! :wink:

Hey Stentiki, I sent ya a PM. I think we can help each other out!

S

You complete me aquaorama!

I just replied to your PM.

Mahalo!

I won a matching set of Morgantown Tiki Wine glasses off of eBay.

I paid a pretty penny for them, but still think I got a decent deal.

So I officially retract my previous request for help finding me grails. :)

Aloha!

T

There are a ton the mugs out there that I want. The Mauna Loa mugs of any type or a Chin cause I'm from the mitten. I also likes the blue Derek Hukilau 2004 mug. I see that it is now Ebay right now. What was the price of one of those at Hukilau??

S

Okay, so the Tiki Gods smiled upon me and I was able to find the mug I was looking for thanks to Atomic Chick (great topic) and my new friend Aquaorama. Fun trade!

So I thought I would give it another try. I know this is a long shot, but here goes...

I'm looking for a Bosko Tribute to Tiki Bob (the first one) if anyone has an extra they are willing to part with. I have a Tipsy Bob for trade. I might also be able to part with a hard to find vintage mug instead, if you already have a Tipsy Bob. C'mon, I know you're out there! Post or PM me.

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2005-04-25 19:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 75 replies