Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

American Eyesores.... (WARNING: Image heavy)

Pages: 1 20 replies

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-30 10:07 ]

Cool link, Tangaroa.
We moved to OC in 1970 and I remember seeing all of these places. I recall thinking that they were already relics of the past since most of them were already in disrepair or not working at all. I guess, like your friend says, you'd have to have been there in the 50s or 60s to see them in their heyday.

Satellite Shopland, Katella Way

Quality Concrete, 1659 Lincoln Ave. -- This was at least one source of the Polynesian-pop decor which was so common in Southern California during the 1950s and 60s.

Images and quote taken from Googie Architecture
check out the other great photos there.

Cool pictures!
Those giant tusks with the picture of the lion on top are the old Lion Country Safari attraction in Irvine. It was later "Raging Waters" and now the Irvine Ampitheatre.

For those who don't know, Lion Country Safari was like a small version of the San Diego Wild Animal Park, only you drive your own car through the various sections, and employees open the huge gates between the enclosures. Talk about a litigator's dream!

I have a dim memory that the lions were able to jump on your car, as I remember signs with strict warnings on them not to open your car windows, and holding the window handle (no power windows!) tight so the lions wouldn't roll the window down (as lions tend to do).

Once there was a big news story about an escaped hippo that had wandered into Leisure World (a retiree's community) that was next door, and had taken up residence in their pond, but kept evading her keepers' attempts at capturing her.

T

And LCS was wonderfully parodied on The Simpsons - "Discount Lion Safari!" We went there once as kids and it was EXACTLY like the Simpson's episode: The lions were all well-fed and slept all day under the distant trees. Our car did not break down there, however. Woo.

Now, what about that drive-through lion park in China that (until recently) fed the lions with live cows right in front of the car-bound customers. Now THAT'S a show!

On 2005-03-18 16:17, ZebraTiki wrote:
I have a dim memory that the lions were able to jump on your car, as I remember signs with strict warnings on them not to open your car windows, and holding the window handle (no power windows!) tight so the lions wouldn't roll the window down (as lions tend to do).

LION COUNTRY SAFARI!

I went there once when I was about four. All I can remember were that the ostriches kept pecking on our car windows, and I wasn't frightened one bit.

Once there was a big news story about an escaped hippo that had wandered into Leisure World (a retiree's community) that was next door, and had taken up residence in their pond, but kept evading her keepers' attempts at capturing her.

The rhino actually ended up in a pond off Laguna Canyon Road. Animal control eventually tranquilized it hoping they could snare the large beast. Unfortunately it drowned as a result...

Wow! Is Weky Rat still playing at the Pitcairn?

On 2005-03-18 20:32, ookoo lady wrote:
Wow! Is Weky Rat still playing at the

I've always wanted to take a tour of a pool. :D
$26.00 for a room? Hell, where did those days go?

T

Well - it wasn't into Leisure World (L.W. is adjacent though - my dad works there!) - Bong is right... In 1978, "Bubbles" the hippo escaped over the side of the hill, crossed the 133 (Laguna Canyon Road) and took up residence in a rain-filled pond. For several days, the police tried to get her to come out. Finally they tranquilized her, overdid it & she drowned.

My mom took my brother & I by there one of those rainy nights - I morbidly stared out the car trying to get a glimpse of the rogue hippo, to no avail...

This and many, many other horrible stories are to be found in the checkered past of Lion Country.....

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-03-19 21:02 ]

Don't forget Frasier the Lion. When I was growing up there, there was a running tally on the news of how many cubs he sired. Final count was 33. He died at the ripe old lion age of 20.

Frasier the "Sensuous" Lion was the brainchild of Jerry Kobrin - insaaaane P.R. guru of both Lion Country California & Florida....

I had the good fortune to interview him just before he died in the early 90s.... A P.T. Barnum if there ever was one!

Anyway - among all the "Frasier" paraphernalia out there (plates, stickers, 45 singles) - none is better than the 1973 film "Frasier the "Sensuous" Lion". It is up there with Ed Wood in terms of bad acting, cheesy dialogue, and tasteless jokes.... I love it. One of the most unintentionaly funny films I have ever seen!

Rotten Tomatoes synopsis: "When Marvin discovers he can communicate with Frasier, an overly-amorous lion, his life turns into a zoo. Seems everyone wants to know the secret to the lion's virility."

Kobrin wrote this masterpiece. The entire film takes place at Lion Country in Irvine, Marvin is staying at Stovall's Inn Of The Future (with a chimpanzee, no less!), and Peter Lorre, Jr. plays one of the heavies...

No time to give you a detailed review - but I strongly recommend this film!

T

Can't view the pics right now due to a bandwidth malfunction. In the mid 70's I used to run a vending machine route that included all of the Stovall Inns, Inn of Tomorrow, Space Age etc around Disneyland. Each had all the topiary animals(bushes,guys) and other cool/cheesy stuff on the grounds. I think this is why the topiary animals in Steven King's "The Shining" gave me the creeps so bad when I first read it. When Lion Country Safari was open, around that same time, several friends and I went in my VW bug in quite an induced state. As we were driving around the park (going nice and slooow of course) we had a big assed rhino walk across the road, stop and stare right at us. Talk about being paranoid! It then proceeded to amble towards us and actually bumped into my car! We were laughing hystericaly the whole rest of the trip, just like the baboons. Wonder what they all thought about the very strange animals in the moving, noisy shell?

Hope the site gets it's bandwidth problems cleared up as that area is a big part of my early years.

Trustar

On 2005-03-19 20:56, Tangaroa wrote:

My mom took my brother & I by there one of those rainy nights - I morbidly stared out the car trying to get a glimpse of the rogue hippo, to no avail...

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-03-19 21:02 ]

How very "Jungle Cruise" of your mom!

Parents just don't take their kids out on 'rogue hippo sightings' enough any more!

I wonder if Steven Spielberg visited LCS during it's decline, and then came up with the concept of Jurassic Park. You know like an animal theme park going ballistic.

Michael Crichton wrote the story years before Senor Spielbergo directed it. But he may have visited LCS at one time.

Tiki-bot

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2005-03-22 15:09 ]

T

I have always thought there were similarities between Jurassic Park & Lion Country. Especially now that the ruins of Lion Country resemble "Site B"....

http://theimaginaryworld.com/lc.html

C
c10 posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 3:52 PM

Just found out about a site:
http://www.motelsign.com/index.html

Similar to some of the pictures in the first part of this thread ...

Yet more Orange County in the Sixties

http://www.yesterland.com/otherlands.html

http://www.yesterland.com/food-lodging.html

I gotta get a photo of the seal statue with the sailor hat in front of the trailer park on Harbour Blvd. before it's gone

Wow...just realized that we stayed at the Ivanhoe Motel in 1973! I was 9yrs old and it was my first and only visit to Disneyland.
Thanks for the interesting link and photos!

J

Over here on the other coast, we still have a Lion Country Safari! http://www.lioncountrysafari.com/

I haven't been there since I was about 5.

Pages: 1 20 replies