Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff ! This is getting fun ! How do most come up with the names for the carvings?

Pages: 1 14 replies

M

Big Sabal! Kinda wet out, but, you can cover them up with a garbage {size permitting)can and continue on when the rains stop. My Wahine could certify me as possesed.

How do name them though.

Mahalo!

Tis a brave man who wears the kilt in January.

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2005-03-26 16:36 ]

M

Nice work,I like the tongue I would love to get my hands on some palm wood,can't find it up in the northeast.

M

You are much better off starting with Pine. I have many 18" = 30" X Pver 8 ' Foot lpgs coming in. These will be my first pine carvings. Palm is a harsh learning environment for carving. Try Pine !!!

Look at Lakesurfer's work! Benzart's work !!Awesome indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mahalo & Welcome to the board !!!

S

Very nice tiki!!

Looks good , I like the toungue. Makes ya wonder whats he's drooling over, a wahine or a mai tai..

M

A Sweet Wahine holding a Mai Tai ;< )

Thanks for the Props Rodeo/Sungod! Feedback is a motivational food for me. This is getting fun! We sold our first Tiki today. (We have too many!)So the hobby is now funded! Soon, maybe the parties will be too!

Mahalo!

B

Way to go McTiki, feels great to sell that first one dosen't it. Keep'em lookin this good and they all will sell.

Congrats on your first sale, and wise to save the money for parties.

I forgot to say congrats on the sale. It is a good feeling to sell something that you worked hard on. Last saturday I got a phone call that there was some money waiting for me at the shop I display some of my stuff. Hope you sell some more. Supplies and party money is always good to have.

Better put a dish of water out for that guy, McTiki. He looks a little thirsty. I like how the wood turned light where you went deep. Never had or tried sabal, but it looks like cool wood to carve.

I'm glad you're having fun with the Lancelot (I'm replying to your other post here). You're right about that... I had posted my own "newfound" Lancelot and a bunch of the other guys jumped in with their opinions on how well it worked for them. It's a great tool. At some point I've gotta to try the "squire", which mounts up tandem with the Lancelot or can be used solo for smaller detail work. So many great and expensive tools to be had - just check out the "Treeline" catalogue.

I have similar feelings about palm wood. It's so fibery, you look forward to something more substantial. Then you try some other wood and realize how easy the palm was to carve. All wood is different and each new variety is fascinating as you get into it. This from a fellow novice! Looking forward to seeing your foray into Pine! Excellent work, keep it up!

Cheers!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-03-22 21:26 ]

Yes sir those are some fine looking tikis. Great job on all of them McT.
Hey A2, could you point me to the post about the lancelots you were refering too.
Cheers,
Chongolio

Aloha, Chongo.

It appears at the end of page 1 of THIS POST.

And also McTiki mentioned it recently in Ben's Tools Carvers Use post. That's what I was replying to here. It's funny how that post keeps resurfacing from time to time. Great info.

I've also seen some similar products in the Treeline catalog. One that is intrigueing, but fairly expensive, is a tungsten carving disc that you can see through as you carve. Kind of hard to explain. It's supposed to be much smoother than the Lancelot, but that's just what the ad says. Who knows? I'll try to post a link - it looked pretty cool. Maybe one of you guys can fork out the big bucks & tell us all how it worked.

That's a beauty! I love the mouth and the way the tongue hangs out. You've got a handle on carving the palm... my first and probably only was a challenge.

Keep up the great work!

M

Thank you all so much for the support. This is my ohana for sure. I have a question for the experienced ones...Is Pinewood "softer" or easier to cut, than Palmwood? I realize its a tighter grain, but, I have heard palm is in fact easier. Thanks again.

Pages: 1 14 replies