Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Chainsaws ... Gas vs. Electric , whats better?

Pages: 1 16 replies

I am thinking about getting another Chainsaw because my Father wants mine formy folks cabin.

Wich is better? I have read the thread on tools carver use. Does electric have the power? How many amps is ideal? How long of a bar is best ?

Please help me, What do you use?

Thanks .. Collin aka rodeo

16" Gas is what i use. I was just thinking about picking up an electric for when i need to make i few quick cuts. But i think it just comes down to prefrence.

M

I prefer the electric saws myself. I have a Poulan 14 in which has plenty of power and has never heated up on me. I prefer it over the gas due in part to kickback potential and noise. I also use a 4 in bar cordless saw that rips for about 25 -35 minutes. Then I have the new toy. The Lancelot blade for the diegrinder. Awesome tool. Just don't try to guide it with your finger. (Chainsaw teeth @ 13,000 rpm)

B

Hey Rodeo, it Used to be that you had to have gas to have power but no more. Do a google search on electric chainsaws and you will see plenty with the main manufacturers offering 2 or 3 different power levels. Makita and Husquevarna both offer powerful saws and an "Inline" version that should be a super saw with its narrow ootprint.A couple of our carvers have the Makita inline model I believe.
Gas can have more power but electric is Much lighter and quieter.
You really need one of each because there are times you need to cut a log away from home. Hope this helps.

When you have three of 'em, you can take up juggling! :lol:

My curse with 2-stroke engines forces me to go electric, but my 14" B&D has served me well, so far.

carftsman has older models on sale for under $50 at Sears, are these just total useles crap? I'm tempted, in my financial position! BARGAIN!

M

Electric or Gas Surfin?

both. I only use the gas for big hardcore cuts. the electric for carving. less noise, no smoke, and less power. alot more controlable. both are craftsman. this is my third c-man elecrtic. I burnt up two, but I more than made my money back. great for the witco style stuff.

Electric, 14", lightweight...like $45ish.
Bailey's has got the Arbortech woodcarver on sale for $24, fits 4 & 4.5" grinders...whadd'ya think?

I burnt up a Craftsman electric... though I pretty much only use the chainsaws for cutting the logs...

Arms and chisels for me!

I do want to give the Lancelot a try though... need to sell some tikis to buy one...

Rodeo, I was able to get some great tips on chainsaw selection from Ben, Cheeky, and Kiegs on page 3 of This Post. There's lots to think about.

I narrowed it down to to Makita models: The UC3500 in-line, and the 5012B. The 5012B has a tremendous speed, 5500 FPM, which is about twice the speed of std models. I ended up with this one,

the UC3500, because it's in-line, nicely balanced and super easy to use, and as a chainsaw novice, I'd probably cut my nuts off with the other one. Hope this helps.

A-A

I use a Dolmar( rebadged inline Makita) This sucker is cool for sure adn powerful. I would lose the chain that it comes with and get a chain w/out the anti kick back links. Like butta baby!

electric for sure, 3 horsepower Remington 16" from Home Depot. I've been very happy with this after going through about 5 1.5 horse 14" Remingtons. THe extra power seriously cut carving time in half. I use %100 power tools, and only the chissels for show. I think it was about $60. Although, I still have a 14" around for tighter curves.

Homedepot has a 3 horespower and a 3.5 horespower. Both are 16 inch blades , one is 99 and the other is 139 . Is a half horse worth 39 bucks.

Those are Canadian prices , sorry for the confusion

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-03-23 14:26 ]

hmmm...I just went to home depot today, I saw a Remington 3.0 16" for $59. Went to sears next, thet had a 14" 2.5 on sale for $49.
I love the stuff you were looking at AA, but I'm not spending over $60.
I think I might try the sears craftsman at 2.5. I'm dainty with the big stuff, so it's probably all I need. I like the lightness of the 14", if it was 1.5, I wouldn't do it.

TG

Rodeo, In my own opinion of course, if you are going to be carving a lot of tikis, spend the extra money and get something that is well made and will last you a while. I'd go with the Makita if I were you. Remember, it takes money to make money....and that is what your out to do right? I went through(3) cheap angle grinders in 6 months before I broke down and bought a Makita......1 year later it's still kickin' like new.

G.

Pages: 1 16 replies