Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

How about a Tiki Central Resort?

Pages: 1 25 replies

We could do this! We could all pitch in and buy a huge piece of land somewhere tropical. We could build a large resort on it complete with hotels, bars, pools, resturants, and tons of tiki's. We could all live there and make our money off the resort and sales of custom made tiki's and all the other stuff we can make. There certainly is no shortage of talent and vision here. Every night would be a luau! Come on everyone, what do you say!?! :D:

Sounds like me when I've had too much chardonnay-"Hey,honey,let's put in a jacuzzi in the backyard next to the koi pond,but not too close to the swimming pool!".Sure is fun to dream,though.

On 2005-03-30 10:21, finkdaddy wrote:
Come on everyone, what do you say!?! :D:

Bartender,
Make my mai tai the way you made finkdaddy's.

Somewhere tropical? A resort? With a pool? A bar (a tiki bar, no less)? A restaurant? With tons of tikis?

Sounds like the Caliente Tropics to me. Dood, we've already got one.

On 2005-03-30 10:30, Humuhumu wrote:
Somewhere tropical? A resort? With a pool? A bar (a tiki bar, no less)? A restaurant? With tons of tikis?

Sounds like the Caliente Tropics to me. Dood, we've already got one.

No, don't you get it? I live in Milwaukee! :) I was thinking something that would be ours. You could be a hostess and events organizer. Me and Satin's Sin could bartend. Pablus and the Haole Kats could entertain. There are certainly people who could manage and run the hotel and more than enough people to cook and manange the resturant. Benzart and all the other artists here could decorate and make a ton of beutiful art to sell to the visitors. We could...and he...but...but...

Don't take away my dream :blush:

I'm not taking away your dream! I'm showing you it's already reality. CaseyJPS & Otto and Alnshely have been event organizers. WersmoDerinc, Alnshely, Doctor Z and Martiki have bartended there. No less than APE, the Maikai Gents and countless others have performed there (I've even strummed my uke a bit & played a mean set of maracas there).

The Caliente Tropics is famous of course for the sold-out Oasis event, but we've had some great non-Oasis get-togethers there as well, including this past New Year's Eve (which was a blast).

Without even trying very hard, I found a roundtrip flight from Milwaukee to Palm Springs for only $330. I bet that with not much effort you could find an even better deal -- for instance by flying into the nearby Ontario airport (which has the added bonus of giving you an excuse to drive by the Pee Wee's Big Adventure dinosaurs).

Stop dreaming, start living!

:o Wow, I had no idea! I'll have to see if I can get away for a while later in the summer. NO! I'll try to get away when the weather turns cold again! (wont be to long)

Or maybe...Do you think they need bartenders?

On 2005-03-30 10:54, Humuhumu wrote:
I've even strummed my uke a bit & played a mean set of maracas there.

[Insert goofy double entendre here]

On 2005-03-30 10:42, finkdaddy wrote:
Me and Satin's Sin could bartend. Pablus and the Haole Kats could entertain. There are certainly people who could manage and run the hotel and more than enough people to cook and manange the resturant.

i could make sure the little bowl of mints stays full...

T

On 2005-03-30 11:24, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i could make sure the little bowl of mints stays full...

I have a tendency to avoid them.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar
It just may be that the only purpose to your life is to serve as a warning to others.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-03-30 14:08 ]

T

On 2005-03-30 10:54, Humuhumu wrote:
giving you an excuse to drive by the Pee Wee's Big Adventure dinosaurs....

Errrm.

You * do* mean the CLAUDE BELL (of Knott's Berry Farm fame) designed and hand carved all by himself Dinosaurs of Cabazon, right?

Ahhhhh - I'm just bein' a smart-ass! Sorry bout that.

Arrrrggggh! I gotta add this one too!

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-03-30 14:59 ]

H

Call me a philistine, but I'm much more interested in them because of the Pee Wee connection. Hey, as long as they're still there to visit, everybody wins.

T

Would somebody please get a philistine for Miss Humu?

RR

Is he related to Ben Stein?

[ Edited by: Rob Roy on 2005-03-30 15:04 ]

How about we all invest in a tiki resort that becomes a tiki retirement community for us?

Word of advice: don't go inside the Cabazon Diplodocus (weren't they called Brotosaurus at one time?) ribcage area giftshop without your own portable air-conditioning unit. That is the hottest, least ventilated place I have ever been. Think old Disneyland submarines (when they were still grey) with no air, times a bazillion. That hot.

On 2005-03-30 14:53, Humuhumu wrote:
Call me a philistine, but I'm much more interested in them because of the Pee Wee connection.

but what? everyone i know has a big but. c'mon, simone, let's talk about YOUR big but.

J

I don't know what I could contribute but I'm definitely vacationing there! Finkdaddy, when I hit the Lotto we'll get this ball rolling! :)

Satan's Sin reporting for bartending duty.

How about a communal hunk of land...on a
stream in northern wisconsin...doing
artsy shit all day and night...dancing
by the firelight and getting blasted...
oooops...flashback again!

J

With the demise of the Caliente Tropics Resort and the heartbreaking story of Casey's abrupt and coldhearted dismissal maybe we ought to open this topic to discussion once more...

I've never been to the Tropics - drove by it 3 years ago when driving through Palm Springs at 3:00 in the morning - but from the praise it had received in the past I can tell it is definitely going to be missed. I can mark it off as another "tiki mecca" that I didn't get to experience. Sure it may still be there but by the way the new "management" treated one of our friends and ohana I'll make sure to stop in to take a piss in the swimming pool next time I'm driving through.

Okay... we gotta think location... anyone own oceanfront property on Maui that they'd like to donate to this worthy cause? :)

F

Ok, I'm thinking we should go all out. I say we find a small, uninhabited, tropical island. On it we build our super-cool Tiki Central Resort. Of course this will include several bars, restraunts, hotels, live shows, etc. A real tiki mecca.

We can make the rest of the island into an "unexplored" jungle. We can take groups of people on sightseeing tours where they will be "kidnapped" by cannibalistic savages. Of course they will be rescued at the last moment by some brave hero.

The only way to get to the island will be by our ships. We can sell all-inclusive vacation packages and show 'em a great time.

Any other thoughts?

What? Something like this?

The Former Trader Vic's Vancouver

It's on a tropical island, in the North Pacific, and it's warmer here than it is at Disneyland right now!

J

Okay Finkdaddy now you've got me thinking! I propose an island with either an existing or man-made river or canal that cuts the island in half. On one side of the island you'll have the docks for the TC Resorts cruiseship - now these docks will be done up as an derelict outpost in the middle of the South Pacific - a couple rusty freighters (done up nice and livable to serve as housing for employees of TC Resorts) - a couple faux-seedy looking operational bars/restaurants for those disembarking from the ship - all done in a Disney style with lots of props and atmosphere to make it feel as if you've stepped into another world. I can see some boom cranes loaded with copra, rum barrels sitting around the docks, etc. all while drums are thundering in the distance. Now this is where the guests will board a jungle steamer ala the African Queen or Jungle Cruise to make their trek down the canal or river, through the dangers of the deep jungle - with headhunters, rapids, etc. - just like the Jungle Cruise - and finally to the other side of the island where paradise awaits...

more later - gotta get to work.

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2005-05-06 12:23 ]

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about! This is going to be the best resort/attraction ever created!

J

...okay, back to my pitch. After a thrilling ride on the steamboat the guests catch their first glimpse of the resort as the boat emerges from the jungle foliage into a peaceful lagoon. The river feeds the lagoon and a 3-4 story high waterfall - the shores are covered in even more tropical foliage, lava formations, tikis and coconut palms. The steamer docks at a pier just out of reach of the churning waters created by the waterfall and guests are immediately greeted by wahines bearing leis, hula dancers and live musicians. After they are properly greeted they exit the dock, follow a short pathway to the massive Maori meeting house that stands directly in front of them -that is the reception area. All views of what lies beyond the meeting house are obscured. Once guests receive their room assignments and complete check-in they proceed down a stairway and back outside directly in front of a blinding white crescent shaped beach and the sparkling blue waters of an ocean or sea (it all depends on where we're gonna build). Behind the beach are the guest's cottages connected by winding paths lined with gas fed tiki torches and tikis hidden amongst the vegetation... anyone else wanna continue from here...Finkdaddy?

While most of us are are fabulously wealthy - in friends, family, health and cheap ceramic mugs - what we need to recruit are TC members who are stinkin' wealthy in BUCKS! They can buy this island and we can populate it and work it.

Hell, I'll even volunteer to teach Spanish to the TC kids in the Little Bamboo Schoolhouse for my dayjob.

Most every Utopian community in past history failed because everyone wanted to be the artists, and no one wanted to be the farmer, the plumber, the garbage collector, etc. We've got a pretty darned industrious gang here, though.

When we're not drunk.

Pages: 1 25 replies