Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

over tikied

Pages: 1 24 replies

Didn't think it was possible but today was a dark day. They had the Tiki-SPa on Ambush makeover followed up by a client meeting at Tiki-Bar same episode. Both looked lame. Went to the mall and was overwhelmed by the tommy bahama display at nordstroms if I could see one more uncool shirt i could scream. Just saw the tiki inspired commercial for "secret" body spray. Tiki seems to be everywhere right now. Its resurgence is awesome and at times overwhelming.

I guess the more tiki the more good spirits you have. And I really question, can there be good taste to tiki? I like to think so but it's kind of an ironic twist on itself. And really my favorite pieces are all white mans reinterpretation of a fabricated thought of what tiki could be? Kind of like defining america?

signed perplex tikifile

I heard thru the grapeving that Mc Donalds is coming out with a Mc Tiki Burger.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 3:46 AM

On 2005-03-30 21:49, RevBambooBen wrote:

Panda meat?

Yummm...

Yummy!

But, do they serve "Finger in the Chili"?

On 2005-03-30 21:49, RevBambooBen wrote:

Isn't there a "Mickey Tikis" restaurant somewhere in Ohio with tiki graphics on the windows? Or has that gone the way of The Kahiki?

I believe the "Finger Chile" is a registered trademark of the Wendy's corporation and is exclusively served by them.

On 2005-03-31 10:47, joefla70 wrote:
I believe the "Finger Chile" is a registered trademark of the Wendy's corporation and is exclusively served by them.

Which oddly brings to mind the image of the dad in "A Christmas Story" after his leg lamp is broken and his last words before he leaves to buy more glue, "NOT A FINGER!!"

T

On 2005-03-31 14:47, ZebraTiki wrote:
"NOT A FINGER!!"

God, how many times I've used that line when I'm angry.

[i]Went to the mall and was overwhelmed by the tommy bahama display at nordstroms if I could see one more uncool shirt i could scream.

At the risk of skipping your deep thoughts for the simplistic, base and commercial, were there tiki Tommy Bahama shirts? I have seen the shirts with the hula dancers, but are there now shirts with tiki designs as well?

K

"finger chili" wendy's is right down the street from my house! i've eaten there (but not since the "find"... I'm more of a fried thumb guy myself)! it's kitty corner to "dead-guy" denny's where someone was found dead a few years back while my friend was eating there.

mmmmm, mmmmm... san jose's servin' up the finest!

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2005-03-31 23:41 ]

T

I didn't get the overdone tiki reference to the wendy's chilli. Now I do instead of the ancient tribe of headhunters. Wendy's has become the current tribe of finger hunters.

Could we get holden on that pronto. A bloody finger mug? or a hand with three fingers and a thumb mug. Or the bluddy chilli mug, that you sip throught the finger.

Oh the humanity, the horror.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit idly by while a buncha honko cossack marauding culture vultures rip off off my pre-fab retro pop-subculture. Let 'em have the tiki bars, tiki spas, tiki mugs...hell, the tikis themselves. I'm uppin' the ante. Let's see how they like shrunken heads, ritualistic human sacrifice and...MONSTER OUTRIGGERS.

On 2005-04-02 23:37, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit idly by while a buncha honko cossack marauding culture vultures rip off off my pre-fab retro pop-subculture. Let 'em have the tiki bars, tiki spas, tiki mugs...hell, the tikis themselves. I'm uppin' the ante. Let's see how they like shrunken heads, ritualistic human sacrifice and...MONSTER OUTRIGGERS.

Exactly! Everyone else is answering the question in a way that it appears that they hope the question will go away. This current trend of plastifying Tiki as a way of rendering it harmless and good for a couple of cheap yuks near the BBQ just tires me out. Post-irony.....who needs it?
Yeah, let's bring out the brutal & sexy side of Tiki!

Trader Woody

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.