Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Frances Langford's Outrigger, Jensen Beach, FL (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

Kinda hesitant about posting this item. Has a rendering of Langford's Outrigger on it, but I believe it is not from The Outrigger. Notice the law firm name below....I believe they had this made, probably long after it became The Dolphin House.

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/9405/5338cff2.jpg

howlinowl

K

My parents took me here when they moved to Stuart, FL. in the early 70's. At that time Francis Langford and Ralph Evinrude were very much part of the local community. With a small boat basin, their beloved yacht "The Chanticleer" was docked outside the Restaurant when not out cruising.

They were very generous with the local community and Francis donated approximately $30million to various charities and public projects within Martin County, Florida.

Although heavily damaged by the Hurricanes of 2004/2005, most or all of the original memorabilia of her career, and much of the original structure still stands today. Now called the Dolphin Bar and Shrimp House http://www.dolphinbar.com it is the best deal in the county for fun filled dining. My wife and I live about a 1 1/2 miles down the road, and hit the 1/2 price Hors' d'oeuvres about 3 times a week.

One of the reasons my wife and I talked ourselves into buying our current home..."hey, it's right down the road from the Dolphin".

Picked up another postcard showing the exterior of the thatched hut restaurant.

Also spotted this map of the marina compound.

DC

This is an awesome thread...being a Florida Boy, it's now gone into my list of "historical Polynesian Pop places to visit in Florida" (of which I'm working my way down, lol).

Neat info about Conrad Hall, too; he was an awesome and gifted cinematographer, doing the work on my all-time favorite gangster movie, Road to Perdition (2002)...his last movie (for which he won an Oscar) before he passed in 2003.

Rob

[ Edited by: Ghostsoldier 2014-10-20 10:04 ]

[ Edited by: Jungle John 2015-02-28 23:38 ]

P

Found this wonderful matchbook yesterday. I think someone else on the thread may have one as well:

Looks like this joint was a terrific back in the day. As a kid I was into big band music, and I still remember some of the tracks that Frances Langford sang with Benny Goodman's band.

Some photos from the Langford estate and a rendering of the Tiki Hut.

DC

Pages: 1 2 54 replies