Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

FYI: Mechanically Separated Chicken

Pages: 1 2 replies

Just in case you were wondering:

USDA ISSUES NEW RULE TO MAKE POULTRY PRODUCT LABELS MORE INFORMATIVE

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2, 1995--The U.S. Department of Agriculture today issued a final rule that will require more descriptive labeling for a mechanically processed poultry product.

USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service issued a rule requiring labels to list mechanically separated poultry as an ingredient in hot dogs, bologna, and other processed products as "mechanically separated chicken or turkey" instead of simply "chicken" or "turkey."

"This rule ensures accurate descriptions on product labels," said acting under secretary for food safety Michael R. Taylor. "We think consumers have the right to know when products are made with mechanically separated poultry."

Mechanically separated poultry is made using high pressure machinery that separates bone from tissue, by first crushing bone and adhering tissue and then forcing bone and tissue through a sieve or similar screening device. The process forms a paste-like blend of soft tissue with a batter-like consistency.

Taylor, who is also FSIS administrator, explained that mechanically separated products are safe, wholesome, nutritious, and useful in providing consumers with the wide variety of economical meat and poultry products now
available.

"Mechanically separated poultry is significantly different in form and consistency from hand deboned chicken or turkey, and, under our food labeling laws, its presence should be reflected on the label," said Taylor. "The new labels for poultry products are also consistent with current labeling requirements for beef, pork, and other meat products made by this type of process."

USDA received 2,420 comments on its Dec. 6, 1994, proposal on labeling of mechanically separated poultry products. The majority of the comments dealt with the need for labeling mechanically separated chicken and turkey.

The rule will be published in the Federal Register Nov. 3. Labeling requirements will be effective on Nov. 4, 1996.

USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service carries out the federal inspection programs to ensure that meat, poultry and processed egg products are safe, wholesome and accurately labeled.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-04-05 00:20 ]

UB

I'd much rather have my poultry meat separated by a hand that may or may not have been washed, and who knows where it's been...

I'd much rather have my meat separated by hand (ouch).

Pages: 1 2 replies