Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My future home bar (Complete! 12.17.05)

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

D

I'm soooo jealous! When you get a chance, would you mind sharing some of the details of your bar construction plans? It looks like what you're putting together is basically the same thing I've been dreaming of for a while now!

B

Finky, man oh man it is REALLY Lookin' good. I Almost forgive you for not carving too much( but NOT!!). Really the work you are doing is Superb and very Ultra clean and super neat. I should have known, looking at your carvings, that any other home project you attempt, will be Totally Top-shelf and ultra professional looking. (Are you sure you don't have Bamboo Ben hidden away back there anywhere do you??)( He HAS Been missing in action with some lame excuse about the Kona Club re-do).
Well keep it going anf hurry and finish it. We need some Carvings!!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 5:50 AM

Cool bar top finky - keep the pics coming :)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Demerara, Here's how I put everything together: I get an idea in my head and then dive into the project head-first without any planning whatsoever. Then I stand back and stare, with a disapproving scowl, at what I've done for a period that lasts anywhere from a few hours to several days. Then I swear a lot and whine to my wife until she threatens to move out of the house. Then I take apart and rebuild everything several times until I run out of screws, at which time I show what I've done to you folks. So I don't really have any "plans" to show you, but if you want me to give you the dimensions and techniques I used on everything, I'll do that when I'm done. Just let me know because I'd love to help. :)

Ben, Thanks for the support! I know I haven't been carving a ton lately, but once this gets finished I'll dive right back in, you'll see! I'm also kind of waiting for Christmas to pass, because I suspect there may be some carving goodies under the tree this year. (If you're reading this Rebecca, that was a major hint!). As for Bamboo Ben, yes he is tied up in my basement, just out of sight of the camera. I find that if I give him enough rum I can release him and he goes to work for me!

Actually, I could use his help. I thought it was such a good idea to use the glue gun to stick the bamboo to the walls. It worked like a charm. But now that winter has set in, the cool, dry air is causing some of the bamboo to twist and pop right off the walls. Has anyone else had this issue? If I could do it all over again, I would have put up some kind of wood instead of drywall so I could nail it in. Like I said, I just don't plan anything. :roll:

Hewey, Thanks mate! So, have you broken any land speed records with that cool wagon yet?

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2005-12-11 15:07 ]

Nice progress. Your place is coming along so nice.

J

Getting closer every post. I am going to have to dig a basement under my house, I am so jealous.
JP

On 2005-12-11 06:42, finkdaddy wrote:
As for Bamboo Ben, yes he is tied up in my basement, just out of sight of the camera.

Mmmm. Bamboo Bondage!!

Actually, I could use his help. I thought it was such a good idea to use the glue gun to stick the bamboo to the walls. It worked like a charm. But now that winter has set in, the cool, dry air is causing some of the bamboo to twist and pop right off the walls. Has anyone else had this issue? If I could do it all over again, I would have put up some kind of wood instead of drywall so I could nail it in. Like I said, I just don't plan anything. :roll:

Sorry to say Fink, but your best bet would to do it all over again with the wood backing. You could also try to drill a pilot hole on an angle and either use finish nailz and or drywall screwz to angle them into the drywall. Straight in and they will pull out still. Use different anglez against each other. Toe Nail would be the word. Use some sort of construction adheisive also. Hopefully this will werk for you. You could also put a Base Board Runner on the bottom and top of the walls and screw them over the popping boo into the studs in the wall.

That's my 2 centz. Hope this helpz youz out.
( my good deed for the day, month, year. now back to Arrrr-ism!!Arrr)

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2005-12-11 15:07 ]

Thanks Ben!! I will try the pilot holes and the angled nails. I'll let you know how it works out. This is another great example of why I love this place so much.

Mahalo!

Just a bit further. I'm sort of addicted to posting these now so forgive the overkill. :wink: I'm going to finish up the whole pattern with the bamboo on both sides.

In case you couldn't notice, I'm trying to show off my new bottle of Havana Club! Wasn't easy to find 'round these parts.

Very nice. It's getting close. And yes I most certainly did notice the rum. Show-off!
Keep the pics coming.

fink, room looks great!!....just got back from jamaica where i too got some havana club( 7 bucks a bottle in the duty free airport store!)...great stuff!!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:52 AM

Heya Finky that red downlighting on the front is the most! Very cool. The diagonal bamboo is gonna look cool too.

Keep posting pics, we love it as much as you do!

F
foamy posted on Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:08 AM

Hey Finkdaddy, that bar is coming along very nicely. Very, very nicely. You carve, paint, work 3-D and now do artsy constuction. What don't you do? Oh, and by the way, what's the first drink you're going to make with that rum?

Mmmm, Havana Club! I'm having drunken flashbacks to Madrid and Barcelona. Curse you, stupid Cuban embargo!

what's the first drink you're going to make with that rum?

Might I suggest something from this fine publication?

Thanks MrBaliHai. That will come in mighty handy when mixing up my Havana Clubs at home.

No worries, Kon. Hoist one for all of us poor slobs in the US who can't drink HC without breaking the law...:x

On 2005-12-15 07:04, MrBaliHai wrote:
No worries, Kon. Hoist one for all of us poor slobs in the US who can't drink HC without breaking the law...:x

We've gotta have one plus side for living in a virtual tiki desert. And the Havana still costs us $18.

B

Hey Finky, Yes We noticed that Lonley, Un-Opened bottle of Havana Rum, and Oh yeah is that your bar you are workin on wrapped around that lonley bottle of Castro's finest??
Looks great, but would be better, opened and poured into a few mugs.

Yo FinkDaddy-
Sweet job your doing on the room. I'm lovin' the hidden down lights on the face of the bar for sure.
Moon

Finkdaddy, your bar is really coming along nicely. Thanks for all of the progrees pics. I wish I could drop in to help you out with that rum! How's the weather out there these days?

Thank you everyone!!!!!

Here is the completed product. Well, it will never be complete. You know what I mean! :wink:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17692&forum=2&0

Stop by sometime for a drink. I sincerely mean that.

Mahalo!

B

Finky, you Really outdid yerself. It looks SO Great. Now it just needs that warm "Lived in" look which won't take time at all.
Be Very Proud!

Your bar looks really great... Hope you´ll enjoy that Havanna Club, nice stuff

Great job on that bar finkdaddy (as I wipe the drool onto my sleeve....) Beautiful work!

I could definiately have a cocktail or two in there ! That menu is SO great! The style is very retro and fits! You are all official now ! Congrats on hard work well paid off!

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies