Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My future home bar (Complete! 12.17.05)

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

B

Yeah I'll bet a lot of Green with Envy going around. Don't worry 'bout the green, it covers. Think you can speed this up a bit. We are missing your carving posts, har har Har..
Lookin good

Hey Finkdaddy it's looking good. Looks like you're moving into the enjoyable stage of the build now.

I've green with envy too!

Looking good. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. :)

I finally got my ceiling and walls covered up. The one big green wall is still to get a covering of bamboo yet though, and all the seams you see will be covered with strips of bamboo. Oh, and the windows will be replaced with cool windows.

If your can of adhesive reads, "Use in a well ventilated area" please take it seriously. Even though I had all windows and doors open with fans going, my wife had to come downstairs and force me to take a walk with her to get me out of the house. She says I was acting weird and I seriously cannot account for about an hour and a half of my day! I don't remember doing a lot of the work that I did that morning. Scary stuff.

Close up of part of the ceiling.

Putting in some outlets and switches.

Thanks for lookin'!

(Special note for any of my kids who may read this someday: Huffing Kills!)

B

Yo Finky, NOW It's starting to look Good. It is nice when you do the correct prep work and you begin the final stages. It looks SO Good, I may have to talk you into coming to Fla to do mine..Don't stop now..

Starting to look really good... Keep it up!

W

I love the use of wicker & the bamboo!
your gving me ideas!

Wow that's looking great!

How much was the reed fencing? I've got a 400 square foot ceiling to cover and am looking to cut costs a little.
It's really neat to see someone else doing a similar install.

The song is 'Pass a Smile Along' by Pablus!

Do I win a special finkdaddy tiki prize?! :wink:

Can't wait to see more progression shots!

P

I can taste the fine tropical drinks now.
Hmmm... needs more falernum.

There that's nice.

Keep it up, braddah.
It will keep you warm in winter - even if it's all in your mind.

HK

Where does the band set up?

Josh

LOOKS GREAT FINKDADDY....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...REMEMBER
TO INVITE ME TO THE GRAND OPENING!

H

Heya, Finky starts to get some tiki-ness in the bar. Looks good, cant wait for more pics to come!

Finkdaddy,
Your room is looking great! Taking your time like you have and doing it right is the way to go. You might be looking forward to christening her with that first round of drinks, but building her is where all the fun is! It's the anticipation man, the anticipation!!

Does anyone feel a small letdown after you complete a long running project? Like you almost wish there were more to do?

Haha, I find that that's the glory of owning a house, you never run out of projects to work on!

Okay, now your just showing off.

Beautiful works Capo.. Is there any end to what you cant to with concrete?

J

Your place looks great!
I can't imagine using the reed fencing on the ceiling. I had a hard enough time keeping that stuff straight on the walls, much less fighting gravity that much!

The reed fencing is pretty inexpensive. 6' x 20' roll or so. I think it was $25.00. They have it at Lowe's and Home Depot in the garden section. It is sometimes considered a privacy fence (though you can see through the gaps pretty easily) or as a garden fence (for beans and such to climb).

They don't have it at any of our Lowes or Depot in our area!! WAAAAAAA

It's coming along real nice-like!

I love those "work in progress pictures". Keep ´em coming!

that's a nice little room you got going there, fink. It's going to look great when you're finished. Are you adding bamboo between the mats, or are you going to do some flat carvings to go between?

I have to agree - putting that reed fencing on the cieling must have been quite a chore...but it looks good.

keep it up!!!!

Finished one window and started putting up my bamboo forest tonight. Completed the electric and lights earlier in the week. Thanks for looking!

I don't know why this pic turned out so blurry.

I have a lot to go on this wall yet.

Sweet room Finkdaddy!! I love the wall light, did you make it yourself? If so what are the dimensions??
Wes

Thanks Moondance,

I purchased the wall sconce from Oceanic Arts. It's made from wood, rattan, some kind of translucient paper, and I believe some woven seagrass cord. They give off a very warm light. :)

Your "Tiki Nirvana" will be a great place for you to unwind. I wish I lived closer to offer a hand.
Wes

Any more progress on the "Finkdaddy Sanctuary".
I'm making one of those wall lamps you have, I couldn't find them at Oceanic. I'll post photo's tomorrow.
Wes

Finkdaddy has got a cozy tiki lounge going there... it looks great in person! I swung by to check it out the other day... he's got a big tiki watching over the progress now and the mana is oozing out of the walls!

F

Here is some progress pics. The wall of bamboo is done. Man that was tedious. :roll:

Finished a bunch of the trim.

Close up of the ceiling.

I have an additional helper now! Thanks Lake Surfer!

Wow , is it ever coming together fast.
The bamboo wall looks fabulous.

C

wow Finkdaddy...you and Finkmommy are gonna have a
great hang-out when its done...you are really doing it
up right! I've been trying to come up with a name for
it...but I get tiki-block whenever I think about it.
Keep it up!

man... this is just becoming better and better!

Yeah...I'm totally diggin that bamboo wall - it looks like a forest with the green background. Well done.

sorry I haven't gotten those pics to you yet...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 5:37 AM

Cool Finky! Love the way that wall looks with the bamboo, really gives it a deep feel. The wall lighting is great too. Love it so far!

Z

Looks great Fink!

How about some details about how you did the bamboo wall? Your bamboo wall has inspired me to add one to my basement. Did you split the poles? How are they attached?

Please spill the beans if you don't mind giving up a trade secret.

F

On 2005-11-06 09:13, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Looks great Fink!

How about some details about how you did the bamboo wall? Your bamboo wall has inspired me to add one to my basement. Did you split the poles? How are they attached?

Please spill the beans if you don't mind giving up a trade secret.

Obviously I painted the wall green first. Then I cut all the poles I needed to length and split them in half with a sharp hand axe. I attatched them to the wall using a hot glue gun, but I used a gun that was very hot along with glue that was especialy made for wood. I'm doing the same thing for all the bamboo trim too. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but I'm on the smallest budget ever, and I'm kind of learning as I go.

Thanks for all the interest and all the kind words everyone!

finky.....glad to see you are around (comment in BK post)....
now lets see more home bar pics....I hope you have been
working long and hard hours. Don't plan your grand opening
before thanksgiving...I'm going to Florida!

Don't worry Conga, I wouln't think of throwing the first party without you there! I have been working very hard. There is carpeting now, and I've begun putting together some shelves and the actual bar to serve everything on. I may not show any more pics until she's done because I want everyone to be suprised. Like I said, don't worry, you have a VIP stool waiting for you! :D

I finished my bar's shelves last night. They were constructed in a similar way to Feelin' Zombified's shelves, using threaded rod covered by bamboo. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration FZ!!

I just threw stuff on the shelves for the picture, they will look drastically different when I throw my first party. :wink:

A close up so you can see it better

Mahalo for looking!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 2:37 PM

Wow finky, that is really coming along. Sweet. The detials are awesome

"WooHoo! U.S.A U.S.A. U.S.A. !!!"

Excellent job Fink, I really like the varied heights and placements of the shelves.
That room is turning out to be Zazz! indeed. Making me jealous and inspired.

-Z

WM

Hey everybody,

I just saw Finkdaddy's bar and it kicks ass!!

Finally started the bar last night. The frame looks tiny in the pictures, but when it's all done it will be 43 1/2" tall, 20" wide, and 72" long. I also put up all my collected tikis and art and stuff, but I'll show those pics when it's all done. :)

Mahalo!

I really like all the progress shots. It shows what a hard work and creativity can do. Looking forward to the next update.

I just love all the bamboo. I hadn't though about using a glue gun. Good idea! I've been drilling tiny holes then nailing everything. I think I'll be trying out the hot glue in the near future.
You're gonna have a real nice place to ride out the winter in tropical splendor!

J

I've been watching your project and updates for while and have enjoyed watching the progress. I know where I'd be hibernating out the Wisconsin winter.

JohnnyP

D

On 2005-11-26 07:40, finkdaddy wrote:
Finally started the bar last night. The frame looks tiny in the pictures, but when it's all done it will be 43 1/2" tall, 20" wide, and 72" long.

Your tiki room looks incredible! Are those 2x4s you're using in the frame of your bar? 2x6s?

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 9:54 PM

Looking good dude! Cant wait to see what you have in store for the bar!

B

Finky, the bar is looking great. You need to Hurry up and finish it so you can get back to carving though. I really miss seeing your carvings come to life. Watching the bar unfold is the next best thing though.
More Pix, More pic's, More pictures, More.....

I had to take a little break from the bar for financial reasons, but I finally got back to it. I just stained the bar top and in the morning I will put a coat of poly on it. When that's dry, I'll build up the sides with plywood, lauhala, and bamboo. Then I have to figure out how I'm going to put up the thatch awning.

Demerara, those are 2x6's I used for the frame. I know it's a bit of overkill, but I already had them in the garage, so what the hell. :wink:

thanks for looking!!

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies