Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

McTiki's Backyard Oasis... redux... in progress

Pages: 1 2 3 118 replies

M

Hello !!! Just taking a breather and posting some pics.

Getting warmer here so I figured I'd better make some progress before I turn into a lightweight from the heat. Trying to capture the tahitian slanted style roof. Difficult cuts and hurricane considerations all the way through the project. Uprights are in 2 ft of cement. 2 X 6 frame with brackets. Spine is 16 ft.

[ Edited by: McTiki 2007-02-22 06:31 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki 2013-01-07 11:42 ]

D

Mctiki, Is that pressure treated lumber that you are framing with? Do becareful with it, that bad stuff (sliver & dust). As for the heat,lots of water( a little lime in the water) , when its done it looks like it wouldthe place to be,even here in Vegas.

M

Thanks Doc. I am being careful with the Pressure treated stuff. (wind was blowing the dust away from me as it was being cut.

Can't wait to finish this beast.

B

McTiki, It is starting to look like something good is coming. Once you get it framed, it will go much faster. Thanks for keeping us posted...

M

Updates. The skin is on! (not trimmed yet)This thing is huge! I'm having fun though. Good work-out after sitting in the cubicle all day.

Wahine's flowers too!

Mahalo Kanoas'

TM

Hey McTiki, great work...Any more pics? I'm thinking about doing something similar

Wow!

My wife was just clearing the corner of our yard in preparation for making an overhang, putting in benches, etc., in a Spanish sort of style.

Now I've got something better to show her!

M

Thanks for the props guy's. I will post updates tonight. There are many.

M

Nice work!!! I've been thinking about something like that for my backyard as well for some time. No money this year though!

Matty

Very nice!! I'm so jelous of everyone who has the space for this kind of thing. I plan on downing a couple of trees to make room, but that wont happen until the kids are older. So expect some progress pics in about 5 years or so.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see it finished!

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 6:13 PM

Looks good so far. love the use of the corner too!

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 2:50 PM

Some updates...

Keiko likes!

O
Octane posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 6:09 PM

the progress is looking good, soon it will be a great place to sit by the pool sipping on a Mia Tai, surounded with lots of good tiki stuff. Thanks for the progress pictures, it is always great to see how everyones bars come together

M

Update

Bamboo to be affixed to the sides and Tile and finished wood bar front. Calling an electrician soon. Needs wiring inside. 10 foot bar, seats approx 10 comfortably, 30 cozily.

ground & foundation

Good

Best

from bar to pond (still messy until all the plants find their home ; )

Mahalo

TG

Hot Damn! You been busy boy........Looking great. Can't wait to see it all done. Keep posting the pics.

G.

B

Hey McTiki, it Really looks like the end is in Sight HOORAAAY.Awesome pic's, you have done a Lot ofwork but it's lookin Good.

wow, that is one hell of a project. It's coming out beautifully though. I love the bar. Are you going to put colored lights behind those little glass squares in the bar?

M

Thanks for the encouraging words Tiki G, Benz, and Pocky. It's been so long in the making. I can see light. Pocky, I will eventually go Green/Blue behind the glass blocks. I would love to incorporate an LED changing multicolor scheme behind them if it were reasonably priced. That would be cool.

Mahalo

wow! That really looks great. You have done a fine, outstanding job.
Won't it be sweet to enjoy that this year! Lots of hard work paid off nicely!

T

McTiki ...Looking McGood! I'll be checking mailbox for opening day drinks !!!!!

M

Exotica, thank you. You will know when this place is rockin well in advance... Mahalo

TikiLaLe, I saw your frame, it's far more tribal than mine. I'm recently inspired by the incredible works of none other than Bamboo Ben's, and feel the need to stretch out on this project. (afterall, it's in our backyard!!!) Mahalo and thanks for the props! Back to ya!!!

Amazing pics - your back yard is really taking shape.

That palm log in the second picture looks like it is going to make a very cool tiki for your back yard.

Thanks for the progress pics!

looks great! one question. what does local code say about building so close to prop. line?

M

Thanks for the props Poly!

David- Older neighborhood without code enforcement nazis + it is not classified as, nor does it qualify as a "permanent structure" ie; no walls :wink: + Our fence line is 14 inches inside our true property line + our neighbors love the opportunity to see the yard and eventually use the bar. We are lucky indeed.

Mahalo

COOL

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 7:34 AM

Looking good! Love the glass bricks in the bar :) Are they backlit?

M

Hewey wrote: "Looking good! Love the glass bricks in the bar Are they backlit?"

Yes, white for now. Looking into full spectrum LED so I don't have to get under there much. Thanks for the props!!!

Mahalo

MC, beautiful work it look's like a true fun spot.

M

An update for this weekend's efforts.

Still need to figure some things out like gaps in Bamboo joints and what color tiles to put in up top. More Bamboo accents coming. Whew!

NICE, NICE ,NICE I can almost taste the refreshment's

B

Excellent addition. I Love the glass and the carved moulding around it. Nice project.

M

You are certainly close enough Tom. Thanks again for the props.

Thanks Ben. It's very meaningful encouragement coming from you sir. Mahalo

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-03-26 14:39 ]

how tall is the center post ? What's going to be on the roof ? Did you need any permits?

M

Mai Tai, I'll have to measure it again. It is in 3 foot of concrete. Treated for the ages, and will soon be strapped for re-assurance against cracking. It's not requiring a permit as it is not considered permanent.

Roof will eventually have treatment, second roof (blocking out the center gap) Tar paper and then Palapa. Bamboo treatment in front.

Some night shots...

04\02/2006
Ready to proceed

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-04-02 19:14 ]

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 3:00 AM

bumped. Man oh man is bamboo tough stuff!

Lotta hard work there. Looks like you're ready for a hot Florida summer!

Lookin great MC!
Hope we can stop there for the Hukilau Bar Crawl.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 7:22 PM

Hodad & Unga thanks

looks like you´ve been really busy... looks great! Thanks for sharing

B

Lookin Better and Better. I'm gonna have to come out there and see it for myself one of these days.

M

We now have the begining of the back bar.....

We have tile arriving for the main and mixing surfaces. I have a crapload of commercial grade Palapa for the roof(s) added 24 more feet of light behind the bamboo and over the mixing surface. I can taste victory. Oh and we watch the Braves games here now too. (I know....sacreligious to have TV @ Tiki Bar)We picked out some awesome stools too! They will be seen after sunday. The PVC doesn't work. The entire yard is being rid of PVC sitting Accoutrements.

Sown loaded a few mugs from indoors to the bar. Plenty more inside though. sigh. Back to my rum.

Mahaloz

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-04-20 17:18 ]

TG

Man have you been busy down there! Looking killer there bro'. We'll be down soon. I skinned it here last week on a little 2-3ft ground swell. Clean and fun. Trish's brother and sister-in-law were in town from Jersey. Hope things are cool. Keep in touch! More pics!

M

Updated with new stools! We have frogs now.

Beautiful job man, and u created some tropical habitat for amphibians too! Ribbitiki.

M

Thank you all for the props. Still waiting for the Palapa to arrive so I can finish up this thing.

B

Man I can Taste the MAiTai's already and feel the cool breeze on my face. Beautiful job Mac. Love it

M

No more rain will get into the bar (unless it's sideways)My Wahine said "we are ready to serve pancakes now" I didn't get it.

Tar paper and Palapa today. I will post pics later.

Mahaloz

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-04-30 18:33 ]

really really cool! great job!

Pages: 1 2 3 118 replies