Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in television commercial

Pages: 1 10 replies

TT

Only for a brief second, but my wife and I caught a Qwest (local phone provider) commercial with some people shopping at what looked like a flea-market. The Tiki is very early on in the footage, but it is a huge wooden-carved statue. Very nice looking statue I might add. Don't know if it is a regional thing or all over the country.

I was watching a news story about a family in Long Beach that had almost asphyxiated after lighting a hibachi in the living room to keep warm. (The two people survived.) As the reporter was speaking from her "live location" I noticed the gate in the background. It is a series of tikis on an iron gate.

The photo is blurry, I got it from the KCBS 2 web site.

Good catch!!! I need to pay more attention. :(

The newest Chrysler PT Cruiser television ad had a whole schwack o' tikis. The ad actually demonstrates how much room a PT Cruiser has by showing a large Ku totem being slid into the back hatch. It's like the ad was shot at an "Oceanic Arts" -ish place.

Wish I had a link to show ya...Anyone else see it?

On 2007-03-15 20:04, Slacks Ferret wrote:
The newest Chrysler PT Cruiser television ad had a whole schwack o' tikis. The ad actually demonstrates how much room a PT Cruiser has by showing a large Ku totem being slid into the back hatch. It's like the ad was shot at an "Oceanic Arts" -ish place.

Wish I had a link to show ya...Anyone else see it?

I saw this twice last night...pretty cool!

no way seen that add and never noticed that once

haha spot on

i bow down to your tikiness lol

I spotted a teeny touch of tiki in the new advert for the National Lottery's new Scratchcard "The Pot of Gold", in which an explorer is dropped into a cooking pot by cannibals wearing PNG Mud Men masks and is then transported to a beach party with DJ who has a cheap tiki mask on his bamboo bar.

Whilst trying to find the advert online I found this article on it that wrongly describes the theme.

The ad, by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, features a prehistoric jungle theme. It breaks on Sunday and will run until 18 October.

Marketing Magazine

A
aquarj posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2010 2:03 PM

A little different example for this thread - intentionally sneaking some tiki mugs into a Target commercial...

My sister and her family live in Long Beach in a nice midcentury home that they've kept in authentic condition. So it has been in several commercials, a couple CSI Miami episodes, and a few other moments of fame. Usually the set crew moves everything and puts in a lot of their own props, but sometimes some of my sister's stuff stays in the picture. This time her tiki mugs show up a couple times, although it's a little hard to make out individual mugs in the background. I can recognize her blue Bosko kumu mug in the fireplace scene.

Here's the commercial on youtube.

That fireplace scene also features their chihuahua, who they kept in by putting some carrots under the area rug. Also note the trees and snow composited in the window next to the fireplace. I guess the real view of a socal backyard pool wouldn't quite fit with the wintertime setting!

-Randy

There is a Tiki mug featured in the Jack in the Box commercial entitled "What happened Last night?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoDRKTr_46Q

Not sure of the mug design?

DC

Pages: 1 10 replies