Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1st Issue of Tiki Magazine

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

Here's an update on Tiki Magazine: I am picking up the 1st issue from the printer tomorrow morning and am mailing it out to subscribers on Monday. We're really happy with the way it turned out. We were able to inject more color pages than we originally thought. I hope everyone at Tiki Central likes it, too.

Nick

Sounds great....signed up for my sub today...looking forward to more tiki in
print!

Looking forward to it!

-Z

J
Jawa posted on Tue, Apr 12, 2005 12:41 PM

Yeah, I just subscribed today too. I remember seeing the site a while ago, but forgot about it until this post! lol

S

WooHoo!! Can't wait Nick. It was really great meeting and hangin' out w/ you at the crawl. I know this is your baby, and you've put alot of work into it. I look forward to seeing the finished product, and reading the flood of praises that will be coming soon. We wish you all the best!

looking forward to it, I heard it will be available at the Tiki Farm sale event.

Ran

Congratulations Nick! I can't hardly wait.

Yeah! I cant wait to catch a peek too. After meeting and talking with Nick at the Crawl, I am sure this Mag will be tops!

Chongolio

B

I think I can't wait just as bad as everyone else. Just subscribed and Can't wait, can't wait

I don't wanna sound like a broken record here, but I cant wait either.

Very exciting!

T

I just subscribed too. It's one of the fun things about being a newbie -- old news is often brand new to me here. Congratulations and I'll be looking forward to it.

What do we do when we can't wait?
Wait some more?

Great news Nick, look forward to receiving it.

Congratulations Nick!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! WOW! I am really excited to hear this! toasting a Mai Tai to YOU!

Lenore :)

I just picked up the magazines from printer. I thought it was going to be on one pallet but they were on three pallets.... Holy cow!

THE MAGAZINE LOOKS RAD!!!

Now I gotta go pick up the rest.

See ya at the LUCKY TIKI Friday night!

Gene

V

Can't wait to see it. I'm glad we met nick.

T

Can we get a jpeg of the cover?

i'm looking forwad also. my fingers are crossed for 2 things,one that you got my money for sub.and two ,its not going to be just a so-cal rag.

Great crawlin' with you Nick.
Look forward to the first issue.

R

Add another one to the subscriber list. Can't wait!

MT

I just subscribed as well. Can't wait to read it!!!

J

Having concerns such as those expressed by Tiki David I've held off on subscribing to Tiki Magazine but I decided what the hell... even if it concentrates on So Cal at least I'll have something to look forward to in the mailbox every quarter! Not to mention an obligation I feel for helping our ohana with whatever projects they invest their time, effort and money. Can't wait to check it out!

Well, I'm nowhere near So-Cal, and they were gracious enough to chat Hawaiian Dick with me.

Eagerly awaiting a glimpse at the finished product!

-BCM

Clay, I think your piece is one of the best looking ones in the mag. The boldness of the graphics, the painterly palette of the colors...it really works well for the print quality of the pages. It is at the end, providing a satisfying finish to the wholly gratifying experience of this fine first issue.

Ah, that's wonderful to hear.

I'd be all over the mag anyway, but it makes the anticipation over seeing the first issue that much greater.

-BCM

J

Someone needs to post a pic of the cover - I'm dying to check this out now!

N

Tiki Magazine was mailed out from San Diego to all subscribers and advertisers today. Thank you to all TCers for their tremendous support and patience. We've started working on issue 2 which will come out in July.

Woohoo! I'll check my mailbox everyday for my copy.

Just subscribed--to both the forum and the new magazine. Please excuse me while I go meander about the forum . . .

Waiting, waiting oh so patiently for my copy!

T

I am signed up and can't wait to see it!

I just got back from the Tiki Farm parking lot sale and picked up my copy of Tiki Magazine. I've got to say, once I saw this post a while back, I was very wary of what the quality of Tiki Magazine would be. After subscribing to the disaster that is Rockabilly Monthly magazine, I thought I was over magazines that highlighted my favorite things. Rockabilly Monthly is full of worthless dribble and more grammatical errors than I care to deal with in my reading.

I am very very happy to say that Tiki Magazine is, in my humble opinion, perfect. It is clean in design and absolutely full of stuff that you would want to read about. The content is seemingly endless and the pictures sharp and very professionally arranged. Rockabilly Monthly keeps running horrible cover shots that look like they were pulled off of the internet. Super low resolution pixelated messes. I am so absolutely impressed by this magazine. Good work Nick, and keep it up. I'm definitely going to subscribe.

I concur with my bandmate LuckyDesigns, Tiki Magazine is a high-quality tiki publication. In addition, the premier issue featured on of my favorite home tiki bars - The Lagoon Room.

TB

Just got my subscription at Tiki Farm sidewalk sale, read it all weekend & its looks great!

TBird.

I was super impressed with the first issue...and I like the Cheri Capri section..

I noticed the photographer taking really great photos of us (the Smokin menehunes) and can't wait to see if they make it into the next issue!

The whole magazine was really proffesionally done, and I LOVE THE FONTS!!!!!!!

Bought a copy at Lucky Tiki Sunday night. Actually I bought two copies, because one mysteriously "walked off". I was unable to make the launch party. Worth the wait! A first-class mag all the way! Bravo!!

I got to flip through a copy while at Tiki-Ti this past Saturday, and I have to say, it looks FANTASTIC! I really can't wait until my copy arrives so I can take my time with it. The articles looked like they're going to be great reads, too. It was obvious that a lot of love, care, time, effort and research went into making Tiki Magazine everything a tikiphile would dream of having in a periodical. Congratulations!

Just got my copy! WONDERFUL
1 question though. In the article about the couple's home bar in Oceanside, CA. What are the flaming garnishes in the drinks? Looks like a slice of lemon or orange with pineapple chunck on top and then some flat thing on fire on top of that. It looks very cool, but what is it?

Nicktiki,
At least post a cover pick for us.

A

DigiTiki,
The garnish is a crouton soaked in 151. The brand name is Petite Toast, use un-flavored croutons or they will stink when you light them on fire. The crouton is sitting on a sugar cube soaked in 151, I did that so the flame would show up on film. Alcohol burns clean and is easier to see if you dirty it up some. When I serve something in a Scorpion bowl I always add a sugar cube to the 151 in the little volcano so you can see the flame better. When I am just making regular drinks, I just use a crouton (no sugar cube) and use lemon extract instead of 151. Extract is cheaper and smells nice.
There is a book called "Pad", (Matt Marion, Chronicle books) That has a section on Flaming Garnish (pg 164-165), a must read for the ambitious bartender.
Mahalo,
Al

O

Our copy showed up in the mail today. Lucky us to be so close to the editor :lol:

Great job!! Congrats to Nick and the whole team.

Looking forward to more!!

:drink:

Also received my copy today. I can't put it down! Congratulations Nick and all involved for the hard work, creativity and love you put into this magazine.

K

What awesome timing.

You should find another cheque in your mailbox within a day or two. I hope you printed enough!

=Kukoae=

4-27-05 haven't recieved mine yet.

D

Alnshely,
Thanks for the info! That is very cool looking! Those flaming garnishes of your really take the drink to a whole other level. I'm going to try that! You know, I was thinking it would be a neat idea to get a thread going with pics of creative drink garnishes.

N

Hey Guys,

I spoke with the mailhouse I went through for the magazine today. The assured me all subscriptions and advertisers should be getting their magazine any time now. International subscriptions have been sent out as well. If you ordered a subscription in the past few days, I'm sending those out Saturday morning. Thanks for the fantastic response. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you guys at Tiki Oasis.

Nick

got mine and I echo the sentiments of all before me. Nicely done and thank goodness you are not short on advertisers. Hopefully the advertising will give you the shot in the arm needed to support a wide distribution and subscribership.

Wow

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies