Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

True Confessions

Pages: 1 29 replies

When strolling past the meat counter at Plowboys market, I try not to look at the headcheese as it scares me. I believe it to be looking at me. I further believe it to be angry at some action I may or may not have taken in a previous life.

If it makes you feel better, I don't believe they include the eyeballs, or the brains for that matter, when making head cheese; so even if it is looking at you, it's probably not thinking much of anything.

That notwithstanding, head cheese does somehow seem to have attitude.

On shopping trips as a kid, I was always dreading the meat counter where they had formed the ground beef into the shape of a pig laying in wait. The evil, glaring olive eyes cast blame on all who passed by. The sprig of parsley tucked over the beef-pig's ear did not make it playfully jaunty as they probably intended. Clearly, the parsley was further proof of the beef-pig's evil nature. They would put a plastic lei on it in the summer months. (Another Southern California sign that the seasons have changed.) I always wondered why no one ever seemed to buy the beef-pig, or even parts of it. How long was it there? Was it periodically carved up, and replenished? My parents were very zen about it ... "It's just there, okay?!"

When we were having hamburger, invariably one of my brothers would grab a hunk of raw ground beef, and chase me around with it, screaming, "It's the beef-pig's BUTT!" It's really hard to laugh and run effectively at the same time.

It's the Olive Loaf that is looking at you...The Head Cheese is just thinking about looking at you...:wink:

P

If you were waiting to be blended and sculpted into boudin balls you'd have an attitude, too.

(....best boudin in the world at Roweena's in Sunset, LA, where cock-fighting is still legal.)

Bong, did you have any Spam when you were on the island?

"What are yooou looking at?"

would you like spam with that?

D

If we are cleansing our souls here, I confess that I have never out grown HAVING to poke the eyes of all the fish wrapped in cellophane in the seafood department. eeeeewwwww!

On 2005-04-15 16:23, Cool Manchu wrote:
It's the Olive Loaf that is looking at you...The Head Cheese is just thinking about looking at you...:wink:

Actually, I bought a pound of slice Boar's Head (yeah!) Olive Loaf.

OLIVE LOAF IS THE PRINCE OF LUNCH MEAT!

On 2005-04-15 20:27, Tiki_Bong wrote:

OLIVE LOAF IS THE PRINCE OF LUNCH MEAT!

Two royal announcements in one week?!

I declare that PASTRAMI is the king o' lunch meat!

Actually, it should be corned beef, but pastrami is more fun to say and type.

Being of Italian decent, there is no more frightening sight than to watch your Grandfather pull a sheep's head out of the oven, place it on a table and watch grown adults fight over who gets the meat around the eyes. I've been told it is the most tender meat of the sheep.

I believe it's called "Gabazelle" (spelled phonetically)?

shudder

I love the smell of gasoline from a motorboat.

Scrapple=Snouts and Flaps.

I love the smell of old American Flyer train smoke. The toxic kind that came in a little bottle that you dropped down the smokestack to make it smoke...

Oh and the smell of Play-doh is amazing. :)

Personally, I love the audacious smell of fear (with a half twist of lime).

Bath and Body Works Rice Flower and Shea Lotion smells like Play-doh.

My Wahine loves the Bath and Body Works stuff. She is especially yummy when she uses the Vanilla Bean Noel which smells like sugar cookies and Cinnamon Frosting....yummy...:)

Best Head Cheese .........Price's Market .......Chauvin, Louisisna. Made fresh every Wednesday.

Just my opinion.

[ Edited by: fijifingers on 2005-04-16 13:33 ]

"in the spring, we'd make meat helmets."

On 2005-04-16 09:37, Cool Manchu wrote:
I love the smell of old American Flyer train smoke. The toxic kind that came in a little bottle that you dropped down the smokestack to make it smoke...

When I read that, the recall came back as if it was Christmas Day 1962. I don't think I can put it as my favorite, that would have to be Tabu perfume, A girl at Hughes J.R. High (1969) named Candy used to wear that and I can recall that in a heart beat.

The power plant near Redondo Beach still gives me nightmares. I cannot look at it when I drive by...either too much rum or not enough.

On 2005-04-17 20:01, Toxic TiKi wrote:
The power plant near Redondo Beach still gives me nightmares. I cannot look at it when I drive by...either too much rum or not enough.

After they covered the power plant with that whale mural, my nightmares got worse.

On 2005-04-15 14:37, purple jade wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I don't believe they include the eyeballs, or the brains for that matter, when making head cheese; so even if it is looking at you, it's probably not thinking much of anything.

Yeah, if you want the eyeballs and brains, your best bet is to buy the hot dogs or sausage! Mmm... eyeballssss....

On 2005-04-15 22:58, tikifish wrote:
I love the smell of gasoline from a motorboat.

I love that smell too!!! Why does it smell different than gas in the car? Is it because of the water? Is that the reason why a fart smells different when you are in the bathtub? (Ooops.. Did I say that out loud?)

With all due respect, the best headcheese is made by my mom. And speaking of foods that seem to gross out the entire population of the planet except me, I also love chicken's feet.

and the smell of deisel fumes from a train or intercity bus always gives me the wanderlust.

Confession:

I like eating liver.

B

I like to stick my tongue on a nine volt battery. It reminds me of playing with Sizzlers.

J

I never really heard of headcheese until I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I even remember reading that the film was originally going to be called "Headcheese." Yuck!

S

I love the jugs on Princess Pua.

For al the Headcheese fans on tiki central this website has a headcheese background for your computer..

http://www.trygve.com/headcheese.html

..I have a hangover, looking at it is making me unwell.

Pages: 1 29 replies